2023-24 Philadelphia Flyers

On 9/10/2023 at 10:16 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Ethan Bear in Philly?

Reports Danny B is interested in his services if it is mutual.

Don't hate the messenger.

That is all carry on...

I wanted the Flyers to draft Ethan Bear his draft year. Good defenseman who goes about his job quietly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Frost didn't score 20 goals as a 22 year old.  OTT not going to accept chopped liver for a prospect with that promise

I fail to see the comparison you are trying to make.  Frost is only 1 year older (born 1999) than Pinto (born 2000)

Last year Frost had 19 G / 27 A = 46 PT (his Sec Ass % was only 48%) as compared to Pinto who had 20 G / 15 A = 35 PT (his Sec Ass % was a staggering 66%)  which tells me Frost is driving the player more than Pinto.  Pinto was the benefactor of many more Assist PTS which is NOT driving the play.  

Frost will be skating on the top line and most likely see PP2 if Coots is healthy.

Pinto will most likely be on the 3d line for the Sens and maybe might get some PP2 icetime.

image.png.99ec46f504668a10620d2bf3b8ccf8aa.png

image.png.acc37bed65f54a4d547f21c964a5216c.png

Both have ~ same PTS/G = 0.43.  Both get equivalent OZS%. Both have similar ice time.

The only "advantage" that Pinto has over Frost at the moment is in size..... 6-3/ 200 as compared to 5-11 / 170.

Trading Pinto for Frost simply does not make sense as they are almost identical players.

In reality it makes no sense for either team......

With regards to breakout years .... traditionally, historical data suggests or can be defined as a 25 percent year-over-year increase. What they found is that average size forwards need about 200 games, and Dmen plus exceptionally small, or larger forwards need about 400 games to obtain their breakout threshhold.

Frost had a very strong 2nd half last season scoring ending the season with 40 points in the last 54 games. Frost's projected upside is sitting in the mid 80's and he will be an import part of the Flyer's rebuild.

Pinto's projected upside is sitting only around 70 points.

Pinto is a nice player but at this time, for the reasons I mentioned above, I would stick with Frost.

• Like 2

Well, Frost had 5G/11A in 55 games in his age 22 season.  Let's see what Pinto does in his age 23 season.

My main point was that you're not getting a guy who scored 20G in his age 22 season for nothing.  I would probably stick with Frost as well, but something like Frost is what it is going to take.

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

Frost didn't score 20 goals as a 22 year old.  OTT not going to accept chopped liver for a prospect with that promise.

On the other hand, if Frost does breakout this year, you could probably get a lot more for him in a trade.

If Frost breaks out, then why would you trade him when we are weak at center and chances are Coots is not gonna last long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

The only "advantage" that Pinto has over Frost at the moment is in size..... 6-3/ 200 as compared to 5-11 / 170.

And if he uses his size like Travis Sanheim well then it's meaningless he might as well be 5-8 160.

I am not real familiar with this kid except knowing who he is can't comment on his game other than looking at some stats that won't tell you much about the player.

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

Trading Pinto for Frost simply does not make sense as they are almost identical players.

In reality it makes no sense for either team......

From what I've read OTT is interested in getting some cap space and Pinto would be a possible sweetener.

Also that the concept isn't to trade Frost as much as give him more time to develop.

Like most "trade scenarios" I don't see this one going too far.

It's not like Briere is obsessed with size down the middle like Some GMs when have known...

• Like 2

Frost just signed a new 2-year deal with the Flyers. He's got that long to become an offensive wizard, a point-getting machine.

19 hours ago, radoran said:

It's not like Briere is obsessed with size down the middle like Some GMs when have known...

True, and Frost has a boatload of offensive talent. But his bar should be set higher than other forwards who have the size and strength to play down the roster. Otherwise I don't see much value in an under-sized center in today's NHL.

If Frost can become another Briere - including the "clutch" aspect of Briere's game - or another MSL that's great. He'll be well worth keeping.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

RE: Pinto 

I like the player, I like his game, he's got some wheels and he plays with a bit of a bad attitude, he has some skill. He's alright.

I'm pretty meh on Morgan Frost, I've seen flashes of skill when no one cares. He's not all that fast, he's not all that big, he doesn't really seem to find ice to make plays, he's had some bad luck with his shoulder injury. He's not a bad player, he's shouldn't be untouchable.

Perhaps Pinto is a Tommy Bahama deck chair compared to an LL Bean deck chair?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

He's not all that fast, he's not all that big, he doesn't really seem to find ice to make plays

I think this is my view too. Like you said we've seen some "flashes." Whether those flashes mature into a consistent threat that teams are forced to respect, that's the question Frost will answer one way or the other the next 2 years. I think the odds are at best 50-50 that he pulls it off.

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

That is interesting, because it implies the Flyers weren’t sending much to OTT if they were taking back Joseph (who seems overpaid). If that’s the case, it’s another data point indicating Briere is thinking long term 3+ years down the line.

Hopefully he is...cause if this team starts "going for it" in 3 years, we'll be winning as many cups as we have in the last 40.

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

RE: Pinto 

I like the player, I like his game, he's got some wheels and he plays with a bit of a bad attitude, he has some skill. He's alright.

I'm pretty meh on Morgan Frost, I've seen flashes of skill when no one cares. He's not all that fast, he's not all that big, he doesn't really seem to find ice to make plays, he's had some bad luck with his shoulder injury. He's not a bad player, he's shouldn't be untouchable.

Perhaps Pinto is a Tommy Bahama deck chair compared to an LL Bean deck chair?

I really don't believe the Flyers know how to handle a pure offensively skilled forward. Everyone has always been handled as a two-way forward. They don't utilize and build around a player's strength. They just continuously try to shove them into a role and if it doesn't fit, well it's the player's fault.

And here's the kicker - when Briere was here, he was a terrible defensive player, but his acumen was scoring. That's how they should be modeling Frost. 

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, RonJeremy said:

If Frost breaks out, then why would you trade him when we are weak at center and chances are Coots is not gonna last long.

we are not weak at center. we have scott laughton. he can play all four center positions by himself

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing the rebuilding Flyers tonight in Boston - first preseason game that’ll be televised - on the NHL Network 7pm start.

Good to hear TK and Atkinson both practiced yesterday. York is day-to-day and skated on his own. 

According to Bill Meltzer:

Petersen starts, Ersson backs up.

Sanheim, Tippett, TK play their first preseason game. Atkinson, Couturier and Ristolainen will not play.

No word on Hart. Nothing new on the sex assault investigation since Hart removed “Flyers” from his Instagram bio, turned off comments and went private last month. It looked like he was preparing for a stream of negativity on his account but since then…nothing. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

So with all the roster moves and looking at cap friendly Flyers have a 22 player roster.

So if we got by Torts comments looks like they will roll with 3 goalies.

Foerster will be sent down after tonight's game I think they are keeping Brink over him.

He may get first recall.