Frost

hmc687

Anyone else kind of concerned with the Frost negotiations dragging out?  Caphit or term an issue?  Seems like pretty much every other relevant RFA has signed already.  I understand that Frost isnt 1C material but he still might be a solid 2C and/or Top 6.

Any thoughts??

2 hours ago, hmc687 said:

Anyone else kind of concerned with the Frost negotiations dragging out?  Caphit or term an issue?  Seems like pretty much every other relevant RFA has signed already.  I understand that Frost isnt 1C material but he still might be a solid 2C and/or Top 6.

Any thoughts??

I wonder if no one in the front office knows what to make of him either.

I cannot imagine he would be a candidate for a lengthy extension. Those haven't worked out too well in recent years, and by that I mean, the guys they wanted to lock up have really underperformed most of their contracts. TK bounced back but was not living up to his deal for a few years, and Provorov plateaued, what the hell happened to Sanhiem last year?

The fact that Frost has yet to put together a decent stretch of NHL games when they matter has to weigh on the Danny Jones'® decision-making process regarding Morgan.  

He has talent. He hasn't shown it consistently in the NHL by anyone's measuring. 

I wonder if they're trying to keep him on a moveable deal so he can be an add-in in an Atkinson or Couturier deal down the line.

I don't think #14 is going anywhere, not with his contract and back...but it would make sense to add a cost-controlled young guy into a trade if Atkinson or newly rejuvenated Ristolainen is the veteran leaving.

Also, with the cap expected to rise significantly in '25 I wonder why Frost would want to sign anything beyond 2 years anyway? ...If he plays well he could cash in then.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Not concerned at all. Pretty much agree with everything above. Long term deal now would be Fletcher management would it not? I think he needs to prove more. Players/agents might take some time to realize we are under new management.  

• Like 2

Frost shouldn’t expect anything but a bridge deal. If he’s holding out for more I hope the Flyers wish him luck and let him walk. He’s certainly got talent. If he had delivered it consistently he’d already have his 4-year deal. But Frost has been anything but consistent.

He surely deserves a raise from the $800K he played for last year. $1.75mil. cap hit on a 2 year deal sounds about right to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frost shouldn’t expect anything but a bridge deal. If he’s holding out for more I hope the Flyers wish him luck and let him walk. He’s certainly got talent. If he had delivered it consistently he’d already have his 4-year deal. But Frost has been anything but consistent.

He surely deserves a raise from the $800K he played for last year. $1.75mil. cap hit on a 2 year deal sounds about right to me.

19 goals and 43 points is actually pretty good, especially on the Flyers. After a slow start, Frost came on and played good hockey. If he has a good agent who believes in him they wouldn't be asking for a long contract,  they would be looking for 2 years and then cash in later. I wonder what the situation really is. He has some real good skill and flashy moves and an unskilled team like the Flyers certainly needs him, especially since we are thin at center. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

21 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

19 goals and 43 points is actually pretty good, especially on the Flyers. After a slow start, Frost came on and played good hockey. If he has a good agent who believes in him they wouldn't be asking for a long contract,  they would be looking for 2 years and then cash in later. I wonder what the situation really is. He has some real good skill and flashy moves and an unskilled team like the Flyers certainly needs him, especially since we are thin at center. 

I think a 4-6 year contract would be perfect as I'm also a believer in Frost. Obviously so long as AAV is reasonable...(maybe 5 x $5 even a la Konecny who got 6x$5.5).

Edited by hmc687

Frost is an under-sized 24-year old. His most productive season so far was last year - 19 goals 46pts. That's not nothing but it's hardly the stuff that gets you (or should get you) a long-term contract. Give him a raise sure but why anyone besides Fletcher would offer him more than 2 years is beyond me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Frost is an under-sized 24-year old. His most productive season so far was last year - 19 goals 46pts. That's not nothing but it's hardly the stuff that gets you (or should get you) a long-term contract. Give him a raise sure but why anyone besides Fletcher would offer him more than 2 years is beyond me.

I am good with a bridge deal.

I'm not concerned with him signing.

Konecny didn't sign his deal till September 16th so when we get there and he still hasn't signed then yeah i will be a little worried.

Not a whole lot because this season doesn't really matter besides and purge and develop for the future is all that is expected sort of.

Just waiting to see how they look on the ice before even thinking what could be. On paper it is scary on defense.

• Like 2

I like Frost enough to keep him for the early stages of the rebuild. Give him 2 seasons on a team that’s actually building toward something and he may very well find his groove. After 2 seasons he’ll either have proved he’s worth keeping around long-term or he won’t.

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

After 2 seasons he’ll either have proved he’s worth keeping around long-term or he won’t.

That is where i am and at worse case scenario he is a year 2 trade deadline deal...on the down side of his worth.

But can't say he wasn't given a chance here. Will he seize the day or not????

4 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Well Briere ain't no Fletcher. That's a tradeable contract right there.

It's sad that's how we gotta judge contracts on the Flyers due to the litany of ridiculous ones handed out. 

• Like 3

Good deal for both sides, what I was hoping Frost would get (and agree to).

Maybe Frost can carve out a place for himself but the Flyers need to set the bar high (for everyone). Frost has to become a reliable go-to guy for offense, somebody you notice when he jumps over the boards. We’ve seen flashes…

But I’m psyched to see how he plays now that the Flyers are on the right track. The whole feel of the club must be better now and coming to the rink shouldn’t be a drag anymore. Still a ways to go obviously but the turnaround has begun.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Impressive contract by Danny B.

I thought he would get close to what Martin Necas got and he got almost 2 mill less over all.

Very shrewd business man it seems.

Guess in 2 years everyone is going to be looking to get paid. But till then will they even be watchable?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guess in 2 years everyone is going to be looking to get paid. But till then will they even be watchable?

You’re joking right?

Just kidding I know what you mean you’re right they will be hard to watch at times, probably most of the time. Just don’t forget this is what we wanted, younger, faster, smarter players. No more JVFKNGR, no more FkngHayes NO MORE FLETCHER. Hopefully Ristolainen’s last season in the O&B.

Flyers’ fans have been waiting for an honest rebuild for god knows how many years and now finally it’s here. Hallelujah! This season will be one of the most exciting, interesting most important seasons in Flyers’ history. Seriously.

I know some are punching holes in it, go ahead if that makes you* happy. If you believe because they didn’t trade TK or Hart that means they’re not serious or it’s not a legit rebuild….you’re wrong. They’re serious. Personally I haven’t felt this good about the Flyers in years.

*not you - You

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

You’re joking right?

Just kidding I know what you mean you’re right they will be hard to watch at times, probably most of the time. Just don’t forget this is what we wanted, younger, faster, smarter players. No more JVFKNGR, no more FkngHayes NO MORE FLETCHER. Hopefully Ristolainen’s last season in the O&B.

Flyers’ fans have been waiting for an honest rebuild for god knows how many years and now finally it’s here. Hallelujah! This season will be one of the most exciting, interesting most important seasons in Flyers’ history. Seriously.

I know some are punching holes in it, go ahead if that makes you* happy. If you believe because they didn’t trade TK or Hart that means they’re not serious or it’s not a legit rebuild….you’re wrong. They’re serious. Personally I haven’t felt this good about the Flyers in years.

*not you - You

This is the best I've felt about the direction of the team in years too.  This is a low bar. 

I think this season is going to be interesting, but it's not going to be good.  That's not how rebuilds work.  You don't turn it around in one year by trading 2-3 players - that is how the old Flyers thought.

I suspect Briere will take a wait and see approach to this season.  If the team is severely undermanned (I don't see any way they aren't), I think they will try to move TK and/or Hart at the deadline.  This would be smart, bolster the farm system, and put the franchise on a timeline that makes sense.

If this team is a contender in 5 years, it will mostly be because Gauthier and Michkov (and anyone else they draft this year or next) are stars. I still think the core of this team when it is good is mostly not yet on the current team.  It won't be TK and Hart leading the way then (certainly not from a statistical standpoint).

13 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

You’re joking right?

*not you - You

Watching the Flyers lose over the next few years with some skilled young guys like Foerester, Frost,  Andre, Brink, Gauthier,etc will be alot more exciting than watching them lose with boring slugs like Hayes, JVR and the rest of the washed up stiffs we have seen over the years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

If this team is a contender in 5 years, it will mostly be because Gauthier and Michkov (and anyone else they draft this year or next) are stars. I still think the core of this team when it is good is mostly not yet on the current team.  It won't be TK and Hart leading the way then (certainly not from a statistical standpoint).

of course by then, everyone will be too old and needed to be traded away for youth

its the Flyer FAN way

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Watching the Flyers lose over the next few years with some skilled young guys like Foerester, Frost,  Andre, Brink, Gauthier,etc will be alot more exciting than watching them lose with boring slugs like Hayes, JVR and the rest of the washed up stiffs we have seen over the years.

But hey, they will be losing either way. We are nothing if not consistent

2 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I still think the core of this team when it is good is mostly not yet on the current team.  It won't be TK and Hart leading the way then (certainly not from a statistical standpoint).

I think “mostly” is exactly right. We probably agree there’s a couple forwards with some serious potential on the Flyers’ or the Phantoms’ roster right now. Foerster, Tippett. I also like Joel Farabee a lot. He’s got the great release and good foot-speed to be a 30+ goal-scorer. Hopefully he’s on the 1st unit PP this year.

Then eventually there’s Gauthier and hopefully Michkov. 

re: Hart and TK, don’t you think they’re both young enough to be playing at a high level in 5 years? I don’t think we’ve seen either one at their absolute best yet. TK is probably closer to his ceiling (maybe) but I feel like Hart is barely halfway to his.

3 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

This is the best I've felt about the direction of the team in years too.  This is a low bar. 

I think this season is going to be interesting, but it's not going to be good.  That's not how rebuilds work.  You don't turn it around in one year by trading 2-3 players - that is how the old Flyers thought.

I suspect Briere will take a wait and see approach to this season.  If the team is severely undermanned (I don't see any way they aren't), I think they will try to move TK and/or Hart at the deadline.  This would be smart, bolster the farm system, and put the franchise on a timeline that makes sense.

Every team usually has at least 1-2 stars but VGKnights showed you dont need a STUD to win.  And the Flyers might end up being very well rounded if their prospects pan out.  Cutter and Michkov seem very likely to be STARS but remains to be seen if theyll be STUDS.  Nonetheless their mid six is very well rounded with youth in Frost, TK, Farabee, Tippet, and Foerester as well as maybe Brink.  Yes, those players need to maintain their progression but it is unlikely that all of them regress...and none of them necessarily need to grow into top line talent.

Couple that with a suddenly deep  goaltending pipeline of Hart, Errson, Bjanarasson, and Zavragin.  The only asterisk is defense but even that area seems "okay".  And its not like we cant make trades or sign UFAs or even RFAs.  

I'm very optimistic for this team NEXT YEAR and beyond.  Praying this is an abysmal season for another potential stud!

4 hours ago, SCFlyguy said:

I think they're going to surprise a lot of people. I don't think they'll be as bad as people think they'll be. 

Fact is, Frost, Tippett and Cates will also be a year older. Farabee will actually have had time to train. Foerster showed he belongs and can play on this league. Konecny thrived under Tortorella. And even though he's been gone for two years, we're going to have a healthy Couturier back in the lineup and even if he only produces at a 40 - 50 point clip, just his presence alone is going to be big. Add in a healthy Brink and Atkinson and that's a decent top nine and that doesn't include Laughton (who will be great on a line with Poehling and Hathaway on the fourth). The forward group will carry this club.

What scares me is the defense. We're hoping that York takes his game to the next level. We're hoping Sanheim bounces back and we're hoping that Zamula can be an impact defender. The fact that Seeler and Stinktolainen are still in the lineup is awful. 

The defense is going to be the Achilles heel of this club. And the only thing that will improve that is letting them play and learn. 

• Like 2

Frost is going to have a monster year. 32 points in 45 games in the second half of the year, 28 points alone even strength. Not only that, but he won over Tortorella and Frost also said that every year after is going to be a big year for him. That's what good players say. He also wants to be a difference maker. He also has a big fan in Briere as well. He's gonna explode this year. I'm hopeful that we'll see Tortorella put together a line of Farabee - Frost - Foerster and let them do their thing. Frost with a shooter like Foerster or Tippett should mean big numbers. 

• Like 2