Game 36: Philadelphia Flyers at Calgary Flames; 12/31/23 @ 8 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

Calgary is favored (-135) with a 57% win probability:

https://www.dimers.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-vs-calgary-flames-prediction-odds-nhl-picks-12312023-48572

Statistically, they are better on faceoffs and a tad better offensively; neither team sets the league on fire with the PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cgy-vs-phi/2023/12/31/2023020570

Historically, we do well against them, but the advantage has been home-based:

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/head-to-head/calgary-flames

We should be rested.  

LGF!

Edited by Howie58
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about it earlier today--interesting that we're the underdog.  Our record is better and we've played well on the road.  I don't know about the algorithms or coin tosses they use to set these line, but this seems a bit strange.  Granted, the Flames aren't overwhelming favorites.  Still, I wonder if the oddsmakers or their tools are telling us that we're over-achievers or that their methods haven't caught up with our recent play?

32 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I was thinking about it earlier today--interesting that we're the underdog.  Our record is better and we've played well on the road.  I don't know about the algorithms or coin tosses they use to set these line, but this seems a bit strange.  Granted, the Flames aren't overwhelming favorites.  Still, I wonder if the oddsmakers or their tools are telling us that we're over-achievers or that their methods haven't caught up with our recent play?

I'm curious what the advanced stats say--whether there's something the eye test isn't necessarily seeing.  Not the the advanced stats are correct and the eye test isn't, but maybe there's something there that is causing a different math.

I'm happy being the underdog.

We're from Philly, ####ing Philly, no one likes us, we don't care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

well we still have Ristolainen...an automatic ding on the Flyers' odds - at least for winning.

I see it's Ersson tonight is Hart okay or what...still got the bug? TK is in tonight, he had it recently did he even miss a shift? Hart's been sick for weeks now (it seems).

Edited by GratefulFlyers

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

well we still have Ristolainen...an automatic ding on the Flyers' odds - at least for winning.

I see it's Ersson tonight is Hart okay or what...still got the bug? TK is in tonight, he had it recently did he even miss a shift? Hart's been sick for weeks now (it seems).

That automatic ding just scored a goal. Nice play by Farabee to get that puck to Risto, who goes to the net, where good things happen. Really nice play.

• Like 2

good lord Ristolainen actually got one this year - made it by a few hours. Will wonders never cease with these Flyers?

Poehling-?-Farrabee great forecheck up by the blue line made that goal happen but credit Ristolainen it wasn't an easy tap-in he actually had to shoot the puck and he nailed it!

edit: Ersson is standing on his head yet again...and he's getting good help from the skaters pouncing on loose pucks, clearing the doorstep.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Ersson had his Wheaties. Markstrom is no slouch. 

This is a battle of PKs. Meanwhile, our offense is lacking. If only we had a PP that could put the puck in the net. There's better movement, but nothing to show for it.

5 hours ago, FD19372 said:

That automatic ding just scored a goal. Nice play by Farabee to get that puck to Risto, who goes to the net, where good things happen. Really nice play.

Happy new year FD! I hope it's safe and prosperous! 

• Thanks 1

This was like the Seattle game. We scored first and the momentum kept swinging to Calgary. The Gilbert goal was the kind of snipe you'd like to see from our forwards. 

I don't fault effort or compete level. But we can't play this style of hockey without a different set of forwards. And the PP....that's a poop show.

A final note: I agree with Chris Maher that Cam Atkinson is a non-factor these days. I wonder if he's going to recover from his injury and time off?

So they let it slip away... bummer. The Flyers apparently had no interest in Team D after the 1st. Gilbert's goal says it all. All 5 Flyers chase the puck and Gilbert is wide open not much of a chance for Ersson.

Ersson made 10-bell after 10-bell but he finally cracked when Kadri got his goal. 4 on 4, a 2 on 1 - hard to fault a goalie. By then, about 5mins left in the game Ersson had been beaten down for 55mins. I can't blame him for letting that one get past him.

Great almost-comeback. First time in years I've seen the Flyers score after pulling their goalie...twice right? Brink and Zamula. Nice to see Zamula shoot with confidence that was a beauty from the blue line.

• Good Post 1

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So they let it slip away... bummer. The Flyers apparently had no interest in Team D after the 1st. Gilbert's goal says it all. All 5 Flyers chase the puck and Gilbert is wide open not much of a chance for Ersson.

Ersson made 10-bell after 10-bell but he finally cracked when Kadri got his goal. 4 on 4, a 2 on 1 - hard to fault a goalie. By then, about 5mins left in the game Ersson had been beaten down for 55mins. I can't blame him for letting that one get past him.

Great almost-comeback. First time in years I've seen the Flyers score after pulling their goalie...twice right? Brink and Zamula. Nice to see Zamula shoot with confidence that was a beauty from the blue line.

Grateful:

These are gamers.  There was no embarrassment. I think we are getting a read on team development/composition.  They don't have a strong enough offense to balance goalie or defensive errors.  Zamula may be morphing before our eyes.  That's a plus.  

Hopefully, the New Year brings an improved PP.  It is unpleasant to watch and a momentum destroyer.  

• Like 2

• Howie58 changed the title to Game 36: Philadelphia Flyers at Calgary Flames; 12/31/23 @ 8 PM, NBCSP

@Howie58

I swear I see unmistakable signs that the PP is coming together… and then they can’t get the puck into the zone and it’s another 0-for night. It’s weird. Winning more draws always helps. Couturier had a good night at the dots, Laughton too I think.

Nice to see Zamula growing into his role there’s a lot to like about his game especially lately.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Grateful:

These are gamers.  There was no embarrassment. I think we are getting a read on team development/composition.  They don't have a strong enough offense to balance goalie or defensive errors.  Zamula may be morphing before our eyes.  That's a plus.  

Hopefully, the New Year brings an improved PP.  It is unpleasant to watch and a momentum destroyer.  

We have some creative playmaking PP guys up front like Frost, Farabee and Brink and we also have some pure shooters like Konecny, Tippett and Foerster. I do  think once Mickov and his elite skill level join the PP it will be greatly improved. Still the biggest problem is the lack of a high end PP QB on the blueline . We have had this problem for years. Without a catalyst setting things up from the defense our PP will continue to suck.  We have changed  head coaches, PP coaches and players ,yet the PP is still a joke.

Even when when we had Giroux the PP was mediocre. They would pass the puck around ,never get any clean point shots, all the passes were telegraphed , we never had any creative tic tac toe goals.  We had Voracek who has zero creativity working the point. If you look at the common denominator its been the same for years,.which is a lack of offensive PP skill and creativity starting from the defense. We need an offensive dynamo on the blueline . It all start with having a guy to QB and lead the PP.

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding me….Foerster. He has got to start shooting the damn puck! I love the guy I realize he’s just a rookie. I’m amazed his game is so nearly complete already. But he’s a goal-scorer who’s not scoring goals. For the 2nd half of this season he should be encouraged to concentrate on shooting the puck.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Thanks for reminding me….Foerster. He has got to start shooting the damn puck! I love the guy I realize he’s just a rookie. I’m amazed his game is so nearly complete already. But he’s a goal-scorer who’s not scoring goals. For the 2nd half of this season he should be encouraged to concentrate on shooting the puck.

I think he's just trying to be a team player and setup the other guys,but yes he needs to shoot more. For the first time in ages we have 3-4 guys who can really shoot the puck,.now we just need few playmaking centers to set up the shooters. I'm still hoping Frost can take the next step,he definitely has playmaking skill.