Trade: Cutter Gauthier traded to Anaheim for Jamie Drysdale and 2nd RD Pick

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

We've got 2 - 1sts, I'd be fine with using one on him. 

Problem is he's a right winger, the last thing we need. Center, defense  and left wing are the top needs. There are a couple of big centers and lots of defense in this draft. 

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Problem is he's a right winger, the last thing we need. Center, defense  and left wing are the top needs. There are a couple of big centers and lots of defense in this draft. 

I'm still taking best player, every single time, with my 1st rounders. If that's Greentree where we're picking, take him. Hopefully we get a defenceman out of a D heavy draft. 

We can always trade, as long as you hit on picks.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm still taking best player, every single time, with my 1st rounders. If that's Greentree where we're picking, take him. Hopefully we get a defenceman out of a D heavy draft. 

We can always trade, as long as you hit on picks.

I'm hoping we make up for the  public relations hit of Gauthier by moving up in the draft and getting a real game changer either on defense or at center hopefully.

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

He can play both sides

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I dunno, I really think RW is a need, too. The Flyers are, for starters, very under-sized at the position, lacking offensive pop outside of Konecny, and don't knock me out defensively.

1RW: Konecny - Very good player.

2RW: Atkinson - Getting old and will need to be replaced.

3RW: Tippett - I mentioned him yesterday, and I think he's far from being the answer. Nice release, but doesn't use his linemates at all and is poor defensively. Ideal 3RW, would be poor as a regular 2RW.

Brink - on the cusp... If a player hasn't been able to produce much by 21, the odds of him ever doing so are pretty low. Small guys without explosive speed don't usually have notable careers. He's too small to do much if he doesn't work out as a scoring winger, and I don't recall scouting reports or viewings impressing me about his defensive ability.

-----

I seem to recall somebody, in the last few days, mentioning that Konecny should be moved to improve other positions. Personally, I think a RW depth chart of Atkinson, Tippett, Brink and 4RW replacement to be terrible, but that's just my opinion.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I dunno, I really think RW is a need, too. The Flyers are, for starters, very under-sized at the position, lacking offensive pop outside of Konecny, and don't knock me out defensively.

3RW: Tippett - I mentioned him yesterday, and I think he's far from being the answer. Nice release, but doesn't use his linemates at all and is poor defensively. Ideal 3RW, would be poor as a regular 2RW.

Brink - on the cusp... If a player hasn't been able to produce much by 21, the odds of him ever doing so are pretty low. Small guys without explosive speed don't usually have notable careers. He's too small to do much if he doesn't work out as a scoring winger, and I don't recall scouting reports or viewings impressing me about his defensive ability.

-----

I seem to recall somebody, in the last few days, mentioning that Konecny should be moved to improve other positions. Personally, I think a RW depth chart of Atkinson, Tippett, Brink and 4RW replacement to be terrible, but that's just my opinion.

Foerester and Mickov are RWs too, we really have nothing in the pipeline at center.

Edited by RonJeremy

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Foerester and Mickov are RWs too

-Michkov will be a good player. There's no guarantee he ever leaves Russia, but he will be very very good.

-Foeresters: I mean, he's been playing LW. Even then, he's mostly played with Konecny and Couts, and he's not really producing.

7 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

-Michkov will be a good player. There's no guarantee he ever leaves Russia, but he will be very very good.

-Foeresters: I mean, he's been playing LW. Even then, he's mostly played with Konecny and Couts, and he's not really producing.

Not yet, but both Brink and Foerester have skill, it’s really their first year in the league and each lost a full year of development due to injury. Right now we have a lot of scoring potential from right wings, will it be fully realized? Only time will tell.  Right now we have Foerrester,Brink, Tippett and Konecny all playing in the NHL, plus a can’t miss guy in Michkov. Other than Coots and Frost we don’t have any centers at all in the ahl or juniors, potential or otherwise . Coots back could go out at any time and Frost is hot and cold. This next draft is big, we really need a center and maybe another left handed dman or left wing, other than Farabee we have no natural LWs. 

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

But he is a left shot so you could easily flip his side.

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

That’s exactly what I’d expect a guilty person to say!

As well as tracking down his wife’s killer, OJ is working with Hayes to track down the person who accused him of talking to Gauthier.

Just now, RonJeremy said:

Oh, ok. Center ,defense and LW are the biggest needs.

I don't know if defense is a big need any more. I think the best thing this club can do now is sit back, evaluate the current roster and pipeline, see what moves can be made at the deadline and then reassess when the season is over. I'm still not sure if this is a playoff club and now that some guys are starting to come back to earth, we'll get a better sense of who stays and who needs to go.

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I don't know if defense is a big need any more. I think the best thing this club can do now is sit back, evaluate the current roster and pipeline, see what moves can be made at the deadline and then reassess when the season is over. I'm still not sure if this is a playoff club and now that some guys are starting to come back to earth, we'll get a better sense of who stays and who needs to go.

If Aron Kiviharju is there with the 2nd 1st rounder that would be a nice pick!

Just go BPA and they can't go wrong.

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If Aron Kiviharju is there with the 2nd 1st rounder that would be a nice pick!

Just go BPA and they can't go wrong.

Yep. Your first round picks should always be BPA. Any round after that is drafting for need. 

I think Kiviharju is going to go a lot higher than most people think. He's going to be back in February, so he'll still have from February to May to get games in. Honestly, that's enough time to recover his draft ranking and get back in the top 10. Don't forget that Brian Burke took Morgan Rielly 5th overall and he had his ACL tear and surgery and only played 18 games his draft year. 

Didn't they also say that Adam Jiricek was done for the year as well? Seems that the injury big has bitten some of the top prospects this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

As well as tracking down his wife’s killer, OJ is working with Hayes to track down the person who accused him of talking to Gauthier.

He'll be about as effective in finding him, considering Anthony San Falippo's post on the subject is sitting right there on the Internet and not the local golf club course advisory.

Whether Hayes "talked to him" or not, Briere shipping off a BC legend alum for peanuts - effectively "in disgrace" - might not exactly endear him to the current BC Eagle and/or whatever alums are circling around the program.

It's not Tortorella the kid wouldn't meet with, it was Briere and Jonsey. In Sweden.

Honestly, out of respect for the sport you meet with those two guys - unless you took some personal offense to something.

Which in the context of professional sport is just stupid.

Ask James Harden.

But leave beating up on ol' Haysey out of all this. And, hey, Kev - don't read the dregs of social media...

That's for everybody, really.

:hocky:

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

-----

You are correct.

• Like 1

My outlander take:

Good trade for both. No really.
If it is true (the reasons aren't really important at this point) that Gauthier didn't want to play in Philly, then I wouldn't want him.
Plus, there is no guarantee that he will be as good in the NHL as he is in college or the World Juniors.

I've been of the mindset for many years that, no matter how good a player is, if he doesn't want to play for your team, you find him a new home ASAP.
Philadelphia spent a lot of time and effort in taking out the loser and malcontent culture out of that locker room...no need to leave remnants of it with a guy who doesn't want to be there.

That all said, if Gauthier doesn't come out of the NHL gate with his head up his arse, then Anaheim should be getting another good young player to go with their growing core of young players.

As for Drysdale, The Fly are getting a young player who already has solid NHL experience at just 21 years old, and who has already shown, at least offensively, what he can do at this level, as a teen no less, when healthy.
Yea, that last part....seems to be the story of the Philadelphia Flyers the last several seasons: when healthy.

Still, if he is on the ice, I think Flyer fans can expect something along the lines of what a guy like Gostisbehere provided....good offense, quick passing and transition, PERHAPS, somewhat suspect defensive coverage, and hopefully, not a lot of turn overs.
Those last two can maybe be minimized playing in the type of system Torts employs, and if he has a solid defensive partner....maybe a Seeler or another player of his ilk, to help offset Drysdale's weaknesses.

Then again, we are talking about a 21 yr old defenseman.
If he has any kind of brain power, he will learn and grow and has a legit shot to be much more than he is now....maybe even better than the comparison I made to Gostisbehere.

Goaltending seems better in Philadelphia than it currently is in Anaheim (unless Gibson is healthy and on his game, which isn't often), so mistakes by Drysdale maybe won't be as prounounced with the goalies bailing him out here and there...which should relax him a bit.

Bottom line is: 
I just can't see the "shock factor" that I keep hearing about in the media with Gauthier not wanting to sign with the Flyers.
Elliotte Friedman seems to think Gauthier was disenchanted with Philly when the team told him of their plans on how to introduce him into the league and when.
All speculation...only Gauthier knows for sure.

But if something like that miffed the young man, then he is NOT the type of 'soft' player the Flyers want on their team, playing in front of that rabid fanbase, and definitely not the sort of youngster that will likely improve under the iron hand of Taskmaster Tortorella.

As for Torts' comments on the situation:
Pretty much what one would expect.
Guy doesn't want to be there, then Torts won't give a duck's arse about it, and then says just get me someone who wants to be here and who wants to put in the work to win.
Drysdale could be that guy.

My 42 cents. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As for Torts' comments on the situation:
Pretty much what one would expect.
Guy doesn't want to be there, then Torts won't give a duck's arse about it, and then says just get me someone who wants to be here and who wants to put in the work to win.

Exactly. Every coach and every player on every team would feel that way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

along the lines of what a guy like Gostisbehere provided

It certainly replaces the (checks notes) nothing on the roster Fletch got when he traded Gotstobethere.

:hocky:

• Uggh... 1

52 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

...and don't forget that Tuomaala is sitting in Lehigh Valley

So, not to say that he won't work out and be an NHL player, but I would definitely put aside though of him being at the top end of the RW depth chart... My experience with watching young players says that pretty much everyone who is in the AHL past 21 has some issues and may spend time meandering. He turned 21 yesterday, so this is a very important season for him. Last year, the offensive production just wasn't there. This year has been an improvement, but the best AHLers in his age group are scoring a lot more, and he wouldn't be getting the PP minutes in Philly that he gets in the American League.

He has two-way ability. I think he's tracking more in line to be a below-average NHL 3RW, above-average 4RW.

My opinion, anyway, and I would love be wrong about that.

43 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

So, not to say that he won't work out and be an NHL player, but I would definitely put aside though of him being at the top end of the RW depth chart... My experience with watching young players says that pretty much everyone who is in the AHL past 21 has some issues and may spend time meandering. He turned 21 yesterday, so this is a very important season for him. Last year, the offensive production just wasn't there. This year has been an improvement, but the best AHLers in his age group are scoring a lot more, and he wouldn't be getting the PP minutes in Philly that he gets in the American League.

He has two-way ability. I think he's tracking more in line to be a below-average NHL 3RW, above-average 4RW.

My opinion, anyway, and I would love be wrong about that.

Tuomaala's career was saved by playing in the Metsis league in Finland last year. It got his game back on track.

As for the Phantoms, I'm not worried about Tuomaala's production there. Just watching the games and it's clear that Laperriere has no clue what to do with those guys. The coaching is poor, the team is undisciplined and you can see how disorganized they are. This is one area where Briere should have addressed things, but didn't. I