Flyers Half-Way Assessment: Your Take?

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

TB - 7 years / 535 games

NY - 5 years / 319 games

Columbus - 6 years / 447 games

Finished his last 3 seasons in Tampa either out in the 1st round or missing the playoffs. Fared better in NY, no playoff in Van, then back to either missing the playoffs or out in first round in Columbus. 

It's no secret his method of coaching wears thin after while. 

• Like 2

@flyercanuck

I guess they all lose the room eventually and as usual it depends who you ask if you try to figure out why. Luongo or Atkinson….etc.

I didn’t want him for the Flyers not bc of his reputation so much as I didn’t want to see the Tortorella drama every night on the bench, listening to his ego in his pressers. But it hasn’t played out that way this year - for whatever reasons.

Everybody knows Tortorella’s reputation as a hardass. I’m sure he would agree he’s not an easy coach to play for compared to a “player’s coach” like maybe Boudreau is. I wonder how much of the “he’s an a-hole” sentiment came from the beat writers vs the players. I don’t know the answer but for now he seems like the right head coach for the Flyers. Hard to argue with the results…so far. 

• Like 3

Here’s the thing…. Would you be willing to accept 3 straight seasons of no Stanley cup, if it was preceded by one?

the only question I need the answer to is, can he deliver a championship? All the rest is just noise

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Here’s the thing…. Would you be willing to accept 3 straight seasons of no Stanley cup, if it was preceded by one?

the only question I need the answer to is, can he deliver a championship? All the rest is just noise

I'd accept 20 straight years....heck we're almost at 50.

He delivered a cup 20 years ago...and hasn't had a sniff of one since. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

@flyercanuck

I guess they all lose the room eventually and as usual it depends who you ask if you try to figure out why. Luongo or Atkinson….etc.

I didn’t want him for the Flyers not bc of his reputation so much as I didn’t want to see the Tortorella drama every night on the bench, listening to his ego in his pressers. But it hasn’t played out that way this year - for whatever reasons.

Everybody knows Tortorella’s reputation as a hardass. I’m sure he would agree he’s not an easy coach to play for compared to a “player’s coach” like maybe Boudreau is. I wonder how much of the “he’s an a-hole” sentiment came from the beat writers vs the players. I don’t know the answer but for now he seems like the right head coach for the Flyers. Hard to argue with the results…so far. 

One reason is he doesn't have to deal with that tool Larry Brooks from the NY Post. Torts used to shat in him at every press conference.  It was great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CoachX said:

If you give him a VLC and a MSL in their primes, sure.

Point being that talent wins Cups. Coaching helps - and can certainly lose them.

Torts is "the right guy" for this team right now. Getting the team playing "the right way".

They're a middling, bubble playoff team.

Again.

To your point, the main question is "is this pointing to be more than that"?

And that jury is still out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think until Carter Hart's play falls off. The answer is no.

Carter has played just as well and done it for a little longer than Sam.

To me it's still Carter's net.

He hasn't lost it.

This is a good "problem" to have. 

Errson has already inked a deal for the next 2 years at 1.4 mill per.

So i can see them letting the season play out and since Hart is a RFA well you could see Danny Jones move him at the draft if they plan on moving him if he inks an extension then you can see them flipping Ersson (who will be 26 and a RFA) when he gets into his last year of the deal even maybe.

I am sure they have a plan and the goalie is a huge part of it.

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The problem is, he always loses the room after a very short term. 

Well i want to see JT step down and move up to some executive job if they are about to lose Brad Shaw.

Brad Shaw has earned the right to be the next coach and let him hire whoever he want to coach with him i don't want to let him walk after the season.

I knew it fcuk the rebuild same ol same ol...

...i'm sure there is a logical explanation for it....they would rather lock the Norris candidate up long term than lose him for nothing.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Uggh... 1

56 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

...i'm sure there is a logical explanation for it....they would rather lock the Norris candidate up long term than lose him for nothing.

:bonkingheadonwall:

If we can do it and a manageable term and cost ($2-$2.5M/3 yrs), I'm fine with it provided we can move Risto (+ retain) and Walker at the deadline.  If that were to happen we'd have Drysdale, York, Sanheim, and Seeler going into next year.  I'm actually okay with Wallker on the same kind of deal, but if we can move him for prospects/picks even better.   Plus, we have Andrae and Bonk in the system.  I guess Ginning, too, but I'm thinking if he was going to be something, he'd be here by now.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm fine with it provided we can move Risto (+ retain) and Walker at the deadline. 

They may be keeping Risto i think they are ok with him.

Walker they could trade and that is what pisses me off he is 30. 

If you want to keep any of these older guys it should be Walker in my eyes.

But whatever we are going to have to let Danny Jones finish i guess were hopeless either way.

If it results in a Stanley Cup win it will be worth it. I'm just trying to buy in and well this makes it harder for me.

Maybe i'll come around but this isn't helping me. Just venting...

On 1/12/2024 at 10:39 AM, Howie58 said:

Thanks for the info.  I was under the impression that Pitt's draft cupboard was challenged. 

That was as of the 12th. Knowing the Penguins it could change anytime soon.

49 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If you want to keep any of these older guys it should be Walker in my eyes.

I actually agree with this.   Your whole post, for that matter.  I guess we have to see if they'll even be able to sig Seeler, though I don't think it's a particularly heavy lift.  I think there will be a limit on salary and term, so if Seeler thinks there's a better offer out there, maybe he takes it.  But I think if the Flyers offer, he's taking.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I actually agree with this.   Your whole post, for that matter.  I guess we have to see if they'll even be able to sig Seeler, though I don't think it's a particularly heavy lift.  I think there will be a limit on salary and term, so if Seeler thinks there's a better offer out there, maybe he takes it.  But I think if the Flyers offer, he's taking.

I wonder how close this will be. Not sure they have the room for this and being able to add a lot in the future.

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder how close this will be. Not sure they have the room for this and being able to add a lot in the future.

In theory (I feel like "in theory" should be boldfaced, 20 pica, italicized, underlined...)

When TK hits UFA, we'll have Cam Atkinson off the books if we haven't traded hi yet.  Same with Hathaway.   Depending how long and how much of a deal we sign Tippett, Poehling (if), and Brink to, we should be able to swing it.  Sean Walker, Staal, and Seeler combined don't give us much more runway.  I guess the heartburn will be the Hart contract, but he'll be RFA so it's still manageable unless he only extends one year.

It's the Couturier contract that will be the albatross by then.   25-26 should be the year we're going for it "in case" some of these necessary signings don't pan out and it sets us ack.   York will be an RFA at the same time we're attempting to sign TK, so that could be a thing.    Petersen comes off the books, though, so maybe it all pans out.

I'm glad I don't have to track/gameplan this crap for my job, though.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I said somewhere I'd "almost" forgive the Flyers if they kept this roster intact for a PO run. Great experience etc. but that it likely derail the rebuild or at least put it on hold till the summer when the deals aren't as good.

But I don't think re-upping Seeler does that - not at all. He's ridiculously inexpensive - salary and cap hit - for what he delivers.

If they start trading away younger guys in service of a PO run I'll lose faith. But keeping Seeler? That's fine by me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The problem is, he always loses the room after a very short term. 

The good coaches like Sutter/Torts/etc are always hardasses but that's what wins championships so I'll always stick with winning coaches over the others because winning is more important than feelings...