What's Konecny's value? contract or trade

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well TK is asking for 10 per year and if i am GM i am telling him to pack his bags.

Where does it say Konecny is asking for $10 million? I see a quote from a "team source" whatever that means, saying "it wouldn't shock me to see the Konecny camp ask in the high 10s",  which actually means Konecny hasn't said that at all. 

I'm not against trading anyone on the team, for the right price. But this just sounds like click bait.

• Good Post 1

49 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Where does it say Konecny is asking for $10 million? I see a quote from a "team source" whatever that means, saying "it wouldn't shock me to see the Konecny camp ask in the high 10s",  which actually means Konecny hasn't said that at all. 

I'm not against trading anyone on the team, for the right price. But this just sounds like click bait.

you read what i read

if he ask for 10 he can take a hike

we'll see what happens no matter who said what

let's see where they end up

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

I really think making decisions just because of age is a mistake. If TK is averaging 25-30 goals, and 45-60 pts a season for the next 5 years, is he worth the contract he wants?

This is a HORRIBLE take!! Age matters...A LOT!! Smart teams don't pay for declining years just because the front half of the deal supplies offense. You sound like a GM that knows he won't be employed when the suffering starts!!

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I admittedly rushed to judgement. Your take sounds reasonable. 

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I have yet to see a name attached to the “report” that TK will want $10 mil. Probably because no one has said it.

E3 - someone wrote it, you read it, we talked about it

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

9 hours ago, radoran said:

love TK as a player but if they Voracek him with a lengthy (8y/$10M) extension this summer….

1. TK gets Jake Money.

2. TK grows beard that makes him look like a homeless whine-o outside your favorite Wawa.

3. A family of birds move into TK’s beard.

4. TK begins floating and no longer plays a 200FT game.

5. TK refuses to shoot the puck and becomes a turnover machine every shift. For every one “nice” play he makes, he has a dozen turnovers. 
6. TK blocks everyone on X/Twitter.

7. Each year the floating and turnovers get worse.

8. A certain member of this forum begins to post about his distain for TK.  
9. That forum member is forced to create a hashtag 

10 #IHATEJAKE is replaced by #IHATETK in all members future posts. 
10. Forum member despises TK so much he screams “get the **** off my TV” when TK is shown on a flyers broadcast 3 years after no longer playing for the Flyers. 

P.S.- Not sure I have the strength to go through this again. Maybe time to hire an apprentice? 

#NoMoreVoraceking

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well TK is asking for 10 per year and if i am GM i am telling him to pack his bags...even 9 mill is too much in my rebuild plans.

TK will be 27 next month and if he is making 9-10 mill at 35 well they will not have learned a goddamn thing.

He is your biggest trade piece and should be moved as such if you don't agree then we'll just have to agree your idea of a rebuild and my idea of a rebuild do not align one bit...and i don't want to here shat about the cap going up and making it look not so bad in a few years that would be total bull sh it!!!

I agree and have been saying the same thing for a long time. They just named him assistant captain, so expect an announcement of a huge , long term contract. They will probably hold on to Laughton , Seeler and Walker too for a first round playoff exit. 

• Uggh... 1

13 hours ago, jammer2 said:

This is a HORRIBLE take!! Age matters...A LOT!! Smart teams don't pay for declining years just because the front half of the deal supplies offense. You sound like a GM that knows he won't be employed when the suffering starts!!

Ok. So what is this magic age benchmark? Is it 27? 23? Are players all considered on the decline when they hit this age? Are players in their 30's useless?

8 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Ok. So what is this magic age benchmark? Is it 27? 23? Are players all considered on the decline when they hit this age? Are players in their 30's useless?

Connor McDavid will need a new contract at 29.

Expect Edmonton to walk away. Too old.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

3 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Are players in their 30's useless?

For the most part ,they are useless If you hand them an 8 year,$8 million dollar contract. You might get 2-3 good years out of them,then it's a burden . Other than roid boy Barry Bonds and superhuman  Jagr, most athletes start to decline at thirty.

It also depends on the situation with your team, if we were true Cup contenders then you pay your key guys the contract and go for the Cup. When you are not even close, then in 4 years when your guy is 32 and diminished you are in cap hell as usual. If you are truly rebuilding and not delusional then if you can get three assets for a TK, them you make the deal if the assets are the right ones. Just stockpiling late first round picks isn't gonna be enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

Connor McDavid will need a new contract at 29.

Expect Edmonton to walk away. Too old.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

There is a vast difference between McDavid and TK and we are a rebuilding team, that is weak in many areas,especially center. Our top center is over 30 with a bad back and we have no centers in the pipeline at all.

4 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There is a vast difference between McDavid and TK and we are a rebuilding team, that is weak in many areas,especially center. Our top center is over 30 with a bad back and we have no centers in the pipeline at all.

The debate was whether it was irresponsible to re-sign a player to a long term contract based solely upon his age.

Age is obviously a factor. It's also obviously not the only factor.

• Like 1

The Flyers are in full control with Konecny. The best thing they can do right now is drop hints he might be available and start a bidding war for him. I'm certain that Dallas, Colorado, Vegas, Seattle, St. Louis, Florida, Boston, Carolina, all the big teams would be in on him.

With regards to a return, at the very least, the Flyers could demand a package of two top prospects, a young roster player, a salary cap dump and picks (not necessarily firsts either). Some might say that's a lot, but the teams would be getting a player that still has another year left on his current deal, still in his prime and would fit with what their timeline of winning now. 

• Good Post 3

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

The debate was whether it was irresponsible to re-sign a player to a long term contract based solely upon his age.

Age is obviously a factor. It's also obviously not the only factor.

I get the logic that everyone is using. And I agree with it for the most part. I also think its irresponsible to give a long term contract to an older player when you are still building (rebuilding) your roster. On an established team, maybe it makes more sense, and of course with a superstar its a no brainer. Where I get tripped up is when you take a 27-28 year old who is playing his best, and may still have upside, then you move him because the assumption is he will decline in two or three years. These guys arent robots. And although its a business, sending a message to mature FAs that they have no future with the team past a certain age, could hinder you when the time comes where you need that one big player to put you over the top

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I also think can be irresponsible to give a long term contract to an older player when you are still building (rebuilding) your roster.

Gonna make a minor edit to you there. For me, it depends on the player and the situation.

TK is a lifetime Flyer, plays "Flyer hockey" and is about to put up B2B 30-goal seasons (projecting :hocky:)

To your frequent point, you can't just go with 100% players under 25. It doesn't work.

The Flyers are not in a 10-year rebuild. They are going to need players who can play and lead at some point in the next five years.

At the right number, there's no reason TK c/shouldn't be in that conversataion.

• Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

At the right number, there's no reason TK c/shouldn't be in that conversataion.

I stated yesterday that it wouldn't bother me at all if the trade Konecny. I've done some reading and then watched him against TOR. This guy really demonstrates what I've come to want from Flyer players. He plays the game hard for 60, with production. I really expected him to duplicate what he did after his first all star appearance, go into the tank. Thats probably just Philly doom I've developed over the decades. He's proven me wrong. Like many here I hope they can keep him, but not at the price tag we have been arguing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I stated yesterday that it wouldn't bother me at all if the trade Konecny.

I quite like the player and would be fine if they got a terrific return for him.

16 minutes ago, CoachX said:

not at the price tag we have been arguing.

No way do I pony up $9-10M a season for eight years. No way.

I wouldn't even spend Comcast's money on that.

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Like many here I hope they can keep him, but not at the price tag we have been arguing.

We're only arguing it because some dipshit wrote it on the internet.

TK and his agent will obviously try to get as much as possible. OTOH I'd like to think - and Konecny seems the type - he'd sign a team-friendly deal. Why does he seem that way? Just listening to him in interviews, watching the way he's matured his game the past 5 years. I could be dead wrong of course - maybe he's a total a-hole when it comes to money. But I doubt it.

for the excellent reason @CoachX made about journeymen players imho you don't trade away your best player at 26 (27 in a few weeks) when you're trying to rebuild. If he's merely your best goal-scorer or best playmaker - that's one thing. But when he brings everything you can possibly want your younger players to emulate...you do your best to keep him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Alright let's do a biggie:

To Dallas: Travis Konecny, Sean Walker, Flyers third in 2024

To Philadelphia: Jamie Benn, Mavrik Bourque, Christian Kyrou, Dallas 1st in 2024, Dallas 2nd in 2025.

Not opposed, but I don't see Dallas trading away their captain while prepping for a hoped-for Cup run... :hocky:

If you're talking off-season, Konecny could be a good slot in for Pavelski in Dallas. 🤮

Of course, we might hope Walker is already gone by then... :hocky:

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Not opposed, but I don't see Dallas trading away their captain while prepping for a hoped-for Cup run... :hocky:

If you're talking off-season, Konecny could be a good slot in for Pavelski in Dallas. 🤮

Of course, we might hope Walker is already gone by then... :hocky:

Make the trade future considerations, with Benn being the futures after the Cup run? Just spit balling. 

26 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Make the trade future considerations, with Benn being the futures after the Cup run? Just spit balling. 

OK, now do Benn's No Movement Clause.

:hocky:

• Uggh... 1