Game 61: Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals; 3/1/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP, NHL Network

Just now, Samifan said:

I have NHL Network feed and the intermission crew said Torts was screaming at Brink after the 3rd goal. Look for Brink to open and close the bench door the entire 3rd period. 

wow yeah that’s the most animated I’ve seen Tortorella all year…by far. Screaming at Brink for what exactly? He was kinda in no-man’s-land on that play but that goal happened quickfast…not sure what Brink could’ve done to stop it.

24 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I have NHL Network feed and the intermission crew said Torts was screaming at Brink after the 3rd goal. Look for Brink to open and close the bench door the entire 3rd period. 

Yep.  Haven’t seen Brink out there in the 3rd so far.   He just got his confidence back.  I hope this doesn’t set him back any.  

• Like 1

We will look back at this as a season turning point. We could have kicked them out of playoff contention. Now, it looks like we kicked ourselves in the ass.

7 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Yep.  Haven’t seen Brink out there in the 3rd so far.   He just got his confidence back.  I hope this doesn’t set him back any.  

well his scoring potential was never in question - aside from timing, confidence issues every goal scorer goes through - but his 2-way game needs improvement. Why Tortorella singled him out on that goal I don’t know. And he really lit him up. 

Not happy with the backchecking intensity or awareness, on that play. Credit to the Caps' Lindgren for a heck of a save, but the Flyer dmen and forwards can't get caught like that...after that save happened.

Edited by FD19372
  • Good Post 2

Both teams have tough March schedules.  Each play 9 games against elite opponents by my reckoning.  Will be interesting to see who holds up, who nabs 3rd in the Metro.

• Like 1

5 unanswered goals = ridiculous. That has to be a first this season.

How is it that nobody covers #8 on the draw? No one even lined up next to him. Couturier loses the draw and Ovechkin gets a clear blast from the hash marks. That’s inexcusable. 

edit: nice to hear Couturier take his share responsibility for that goal…”if I do my job and win that we’re probably still up 2-0.” Hopefully the team looks at the tape. The lack of focus on that draw turned out to be the turning point.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Now THIS was the Flyers team I was expecting this year. Nine is the next 12 games are against serious contenders. It's very possible that the Flyers tank out of a playoff spot. Plus, with the trade deadline coming on, it's almost a certainly that Walker and Seeler go. You might be able to add Laughton's name to that list as well. I'm wondering if Tuomaala and Andrae aren't far behind Lyksell and Attard in terms of a call up. 

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

wow yeah that’s the most animated I’ve seen Tortorella all year…by far. Screaming at Brink for what exactly?

Need to be sure Torts isn't losing the plot, either.

Not making the playoffs is an acceptable thing for this season.

Killing a young man's confidence isn't.

Lot to do before we know that, but it is the "concern" "people" have about Torts and young players.

It works with some. Others, not so much.

• Like 1

Tortorella’s reputation is like everyone else’s it’s all about who you ask. Getting screamed at by your coach always stings but if the criticism is legit … well….too bad so sad you’re getting paid millions suck it up and play better.

Tortorella …asked about playing Brink in the 3rd so Brink could “learn” (I forget the exact question) Tortorella’s answer, “not after that stupidity…him and Lyks both they weren’t seeing the ice.” Doesn’t strike me as terribly harsh or dramatic. I’m sure the Twitterverse is going crazy.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Killing a young man's confidence

if a haircut on the bench kills Brink’s confidence he’s got bigger problems than blowing his assignment. But I’d love to have the tape and breakdown that goal. The short replay on NHL.COM doesn’t convince me Brink could’ve prevented it. 

edit: whoops I see it now. Brink was closer than I realized. He should’ve moved straight to Carlson once he saw the play go behind the net. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I assume you haven’t seen many of his starts and are just going by his numbers. Believe me he’s been excellent; nobody who’s watching has any complaints about Ersson.

His numbers are in part due to his first couple games back in October where he was made of rust, just bad.

Ersson is about as hot and cold as a goalie can get. I'm not ragging on him, and hopefully he can get his game on track where he's a little more stable, but in his last 14 games, theres a lot of stinkers.....889, .879, .789, .824, .714, .870, .857, .872, .762.  

You aren't going anywhere in the postseason with a goalie who plays like that. 

• Like 1

Working nights....glad I missed this stinker!

Fairly obvious Flyers need a legit NHL Goalie to split time with Errson. 

Just spit balling, but here is my idea....

IF Walker and Seeler don't get moved as a pair (best case 1st round pick...yes plz) 

Move Seeler for a legit tender instead of a 3rd rd pick (waste)...

Kaapo Kahkonen is 27, had respectable stats with the Wild, stinky stats with the Sharks (to be expected). 

Seeler and Sandstrom for Kahkonen?? Does that get it done? He's 27...still has upside...Finnish (rad)...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

but in his last 14 games, theres a lot of stinkers

Not really. He hasn't played his best the past few weeks but he's low on the list of reasons why the Flyers dropped winnable games in February. Ersson is not playing as well as he did before the AS break but his first couple starts in Oct are his only real "stinkers."

Save% is to some extent a team stat. Take last night. Caps finished with 21 SOG, Ersson gave up 5. A solid .762. But what does the number tell us? By itself nothing. What you want to know is were any of them soft? Carlson's wraparound maybe.

The stadium game is another. Goalies have the worst of it in those stadium games. For them to have a prayer of playing well the skaters need to keep things quiet at the start. But what happens? 30 seconds into the game Hischier gets sprung, goes in alone on a breakaway. Ersson ends with an .871, 34 saves on 39 shots. An ugly number but mostly meaningless by itself.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You aren't going anywhere in the postseason with a goalie who team that plays like that. 

Once the Flyers are ready to compete for real in the POs I think Ersson is plenty good enough to carry the team to the Cup. He won't be the reason they come up short.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

13 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Not really. He hasn't played his best the past few weeks but he's way down the list of reasons why the Flyers dropped winnable games in February.

Save% is a team stat to some extent. Take last night. Caps finished with 21 SOG, Ersson gave up 5. A solid .762. But what does the number tell us? By itself nothing meaningful. What you want to know is were any of them soft? Carlson's wraparound maybe.

The stadium game was another. Goalies have the worst of it in those stadium games. For them to have a prayer of playing well the skaters need to keep things quiet in their own zone to start. But what happens? 30 seconds into the game Hischier is in alone on a breakaway. Ersson gives up 5 on 39 SOG for an .871. A horrendous number but again by itself meaningless.

Once the Flyers are ready to compete in the POs Ersson is plenty good enough to carry the team to the Cup. He won't be the reason they come up short.

Like I said, I'm not ragging on him, and he was put in a terrible position when Hart went into limbo. But 9 of the last 14 games with a sub .900 save percentage, with several sub .800 tells me him, and this team are way better off trying to acquire more talent than making the playoffs. 

And by that I don't mean ask the players to tank....you can't. But you can sell anything and everything that isn't in the plans a few years down the road. Replace them with free agents over the summer, and sell again next year. Should have already been doing this.  

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

13 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Like I said, I'm not ragging on him, and he was put in a terrible position when Hart went into limbo. But 9 of the last 14 games with a sub .900 save percentage, with several sub .800 tells me him, and this team are way better off trying to acquire more talent than making the playoffs. 

And by that I don't mean ask the players to tank....you can't. But you can sell anything and everything that isn't in the plans a few years down the road. Replace them with free agents over the summer, and sell again next year. Should have already been doing this.  

I hear ya. I would've been quite happy to see a bigger sell-off but I'm not complaining. And not just bc Tortorella has them in PO position -  no Flyers' fans should be worried about this year's postseason - but because I think the culture change had to be priority one and there were some veterans who were a big help getting it done. Now they seem to have accomplished it and we'll see where it goes from here.

Maybe Jones/Briere figured they can try a minimum 5-year rebuild - basically following what you advocate - or try for something a little quicker by keeping TK and Hart/Ersson. IMHO their strategy has as much merit as a "total tear-down" approach but I guess we'll see.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

18 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ersson is plenty good enough to carry the team to the Cup. He won't be the reason they come up short.

Because he won't be the #1 goalie on a team going deep in the playoffs.

:hocky:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

the culture change had to be priority one

Totally agree. Just getting rid of Fletchers key acquisitions accomplished a lot of that.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Totally agree. Just getting rid of Fletchers key acquisitions accomplished a lot of that.

I still marvel at how the prevailing view is that the organization had completely lost its way and had not even a passing resemblance to a Flyers team that it needed to be completely rebuilt from the core of it's very being..

...after 10 years of "leadership" from the longest serving captain in the history of the franchise.

#halloffame decision, that.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Edited by radoran

14 minutes ago, radoran said:

Because he won't be the #1 goalie on a team going deep in the playoffs.

I hope you're wrong. I see a lot of Bobrovsky in Ersson - his speed side-to-side, the quick glove and his composure. Plus he's a good puck-handler. The dip over the past few weeks is concerning. @OccamsRazor mentioned he "flamed out" in the POs last year in Lehigh but I find it hard to believe conditioning is an issue. I hear he's a preparation fiend even more than Hart ever was and that's saying a lot.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Working nights....glad I missed this stinker!

Fairly obvious Flyers need a legit NHL Goalie to split time with Errson. 

Just spit balling, but here is my idea....

IF Walker and Seeler don't get moved as a pair (best case 1st round pick...yes plz) 

Move Seeler for a legit tender instead of a 3rd rd pick (waste)...

Kaapo Kahkonen is 27, had respectable stats with the Wild, stinky stats with the Sharks (to be expected). 

Seeler and Sandstrom for Kahkonen?? Does that get it done? He's 27...still has upside...Finnish (rad)...

Anthony Di Marco @ADiMarco25 · 22h Contract negotiations w/ Walker and PHI have gained traction. While the two sides seem to be close on an AAV, the term is a point of contention