Is Torts the right guy?

I love Torts, but is he the right guy right now?  I think he got this team further than most other coaches would have.  But can a young team keep up with his style of coaching? Is Gauthier still in the flyers system if he isn't coach? Would the flyers be bigger sellers at the deadline?

I feel like if they hired some young players coach, they would probably be irresponsible out on the ice, but these younger players would play looser and blossom. Coots could be captain out of training camp and everyone would love and respect his two way game. They'd be a bottom 10 team, have a few more assets from trades throughout the season, and maybe Gauthier would still be here.

Torts is a great coach who younger softer players can't or won't play for in 2024.

And to be clear, I'm not advocating firing him, I'm just wondering if he was the right hire in the first place. I'm blame the players 100%, but you can't push them too hard these days...they have too much control.

18 minutes ago, icehole said:

And to be clear, I'm not advocating firing him, I'm just wondering if he was the right hire in the first place. I'm blame the players 100%, but you can't push them too hard these days...they have too much control.

Well if the owners wanna be owned by the players then fire him...but if the owners want a strong team and strong culture they should build strong from thr top down top set a good example...by just doing what they think will please the players will just allow the players to keep playing however they feel like playing instead of playing how they're being told to play...

It would have been better if he wasn't here because the team would have been clearly worse and maybe the front office would have realized what they had (it should have been obvious but apparently Little Danny Briere is dumb).

It doesn't really matter if he is here or not because he isn't a wizard who can turn rusted spare parts into an F1 car.  He will be long gone (or be GM) by the time they are relevant again.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

57 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

apparently Little Danny Briere is dumb

It's like the guy who apprenticed under Bob Clarke's apprentice has the same tendencies that they did...

🤔

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, icehole said:

Torts is a great coach

Is he, though?

A Cup 20 years ago, a Conference Final 12 years ago, 3 (total) division titles (the last, again, 12 years ago), one playoff round win in the past decade. In 20 years behind the bench, he's been out of the first round five times. He's missed the playoffs 9 times (going on 10).

What am I missing?

Torts can motivate a lesser talented group to play above their heads for a short period of time. He's a "good" coach.

He didn't magically get better when he donned orange and black.

And we're watching the fabled "culture" that he "rebuilt" get blown out 15-6 by teams that stopped sniffing the playoffs two months ago.

And it wasn't even that close.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

This is another one of those trick questions, although I doubt that was @icehole intent

Considering the failures of this team over the decades, there is a pretty high percentage they will fail at whatever they do. So to say "yes" Torts was the wrong guy, is a safe play. Its highly probable, given how often this franchise fires coaches, that Torts will not succeed, with the SC being the benchmark. To say "no", he is the right choice, is akin to admitting who you will vote for in the next presidential election. You're going to catch schit no matter what, and going back to what I just said, he's probably going to get fired/promoted, sooner than later. To support the guy means it will most likely be thrown in your face that you were wrong, and an idiot for not being able to see it coming.

That said, I love the guy and think he is the right choice. If left to do his job I think he can build a contender. I dont buy into this argument that he is too tough and the team "ran out of gas". So if he had eased up and given them nap time and safe rooms, what would that have brought? A playoff berth? more wins? Im pretty sure the consensus here is that the team shouldn't have accomplished either, since it is adverse to the coveted draft position. Personally, if professional athletes are complaining that its tough, and they can't meet the rigors of a full season, and what it takes to compete, I don't really need to watch or support the sport.

• Like 2

I think people like that he gets fired up and throws a fit....because we have nothing else to cheer about. His record speaks for itself...he's about as mediocre as the Flyers over the last decade. He's certainly the wrong coach for a rebuild. Which, we probably aren't really doing anyway.

It scares to me think of yet another dinosaur in management on the Flyers. This is a guy who loves to play Atkinson, Staal and Johnson, and thinks McDavid needs to change his game. Imagine a guy like that building a team? Yiiikes! But this is the Flyers, so he'll get fire promoted

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I think people like that he gets fired up and throws a fit....because we have nothing else to cheer about. His record speaks for itself...he's about as mediocre as the Flyers over the last decade. He's certainly the wrong coach for a rebuild. Which, we probably aren't really doing anyway.

It scares to me think of yet another dinosaur in management on the Flyers. This is a guy who loves to play Atkinson, Staal and Johnson, and thinks McDavid needs to change his game. Imagine a guy like that building a team? Yiiikes! But this is the Flyers, so he'll get promotion fired. 

Correct!   Torts is an ok coach for a team that has been rebuilt.  But for a team that's suppose to be rebuilding, he's the wrong coach.  He also had way too much to say about who was traded & who wasn't.

I gotta admit I love when he calls out obvious bs calls but that also puts a target squarely on the Flyers as a whole. I also hate that he feels the need for icing older players who are beyond their prime. If you don’t have other options that’s one thing but playing them instead of a younger and healthier player is just wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I gotta admit I love when he calls out obvious bs calls but that also puts a target squarely on the Flyers as a whole.

Remember when Hatcher crosschecked Crosby in the face in his first season....then Crosby went on to light up the Flyers pretty much every single time he played them. It's kind of like that! 😁

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

Remember when Hatcher crosschecked Crosby in the face in his first season....then Crosby went on to light up the Flyers pretty much every single time he played them. It's kind of like that! 😁

also known as, "The day the Flyers were neutered". If more Flyers bytch slapped that little puss, the result wouldve been different

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

also known as, "The day the Flyers were neutered". If more Flyers bytch slapped that little puss, the result wouldve been different

Oh, c'mon now, we had the greatest player in the world knock him on his ass and then score a goal - in the playoffs(!) - and that guy went on to become so successful and overwhelming as an influence on the league that his greatest achievements were the John Scott All Star Game MVP, the longest tenured captain in the history of the franchise, and a seven-time Toyota Cup three stars winner.

The impact of that hit limited Crosby to three Cups, two Ross, two Hart, three Lindsey, two Messier, two Richard. and two Conn Smythes. As well as being named to the All Decade Team for the 2010s (second All Decade Team 2000s), and a five time winner of the A.T. Caggiano Memorial Booster Club Award (no, seriously).

So, he really showed him.

Hit him again...

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, icehole said:

Tortorella wasn't the right hire to begin with. He works better with a veteran filled roster. That being said, this isn't on him. Yes, you can and should be able to, push the players hard. The players are making a lot of money, should be motivated to improve and if they're not..then the previous GM and our scouts need to share some of the blame, along with those players themselves. If they are too sissy, lazy..or both, to respond to adversity and coaching, maybe hockey and the NHL isn't right for them. I know they're young, but you either have "it", or you don't. If Tortorella gets fired, I'm going to be really p*ssed.

29 minutes ago, CoachX said:

All that did was make a generational player want to beat our asses every chance he got....which he pretty much did. Just a stupid move.

31 minutes ago, CoachX said:

No, it would NOT have been different. The one time we beat the Penguins, we had an almost equal amount of talent. We needed more talent to beat them on a consistent basis (and win CUPS..which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?), not more play like that..which would've gotten Flyers players suspended, and made us into a "goon squad". I want to beat them on the scoreboard.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, icehole said:

I love Torts, but is he the right guy right now?  I think he got this team further than most other coaches would have.  But can a young team keep up with his style of coaching? Is Gauthier still in the flyers system if he isn't coach? Would the flyers be bigger sellers at the deadline?

I feel like if they hired some young players coach, they would probably be irresponsible out on the ice, but these younger players would play looser and blossom. Coots could be captain out of training camp and everyone would love and respect his two way game. They'd be a bottom 10 team, have a few more assets from trades throughout the season, and maybe Gauthier would still be here.

Torts is a great coach who younger softer players can't or won't play for in 2024.

I think he is the right guy if you have a team ready to win now but maybe this was the wrong time for someone like him for the current squad.

With what he demands and gets out of players he is like a rising tide that lifts all the boats.  Unfortunately this rising tide put the dinghies and rowboats we have currently onto the rocks and they are taking on water.  If had some more ironclads I think Torts would be the right guy. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1

9 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

No, it would NOT have been different. The one time we beat the Penguins, we had an almost equal amount of talent. We needed more talent to beat them on a consistent basis (and win CUPS..which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?), not more play like that..which would've gotten Flyers players suspended, and made us into a "goon squad". I want to beat them on the scoreboard.

Agreed, remember the Pens had been bad for years and were tanking for a few to get “The Flower”, Chernobyl baby (Malkin) and then were awarded horse teeth in a secret lottery after they threatened to go to KC.  We had some good players from all our years of middling but it never was going to match their star players who were a tier above ours.  That 2012 defeat of the Pens in the playoffs was delicious I have to say and was probably the last thing I truly enjoyed as a STH, it was all downhill after that. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Oh, c'mon now, we had the greatest player in the world knock him on his ass and then score a goal - in the playoffs(!) - and that guy went on to become so successful and overwhelming as an influence on the league that his greatest achievements were the John Scott All Star Game MVP, the longest tenured captain in the history of the franchise, and a seven-time Toyota Cup three stars winner.

The impact of that hit limited Crosby to three Cups, two Ross, two Hart, three Lindsey, two Messier, two Richard. and two Conn Smythes. As well as being named to the All Decade Team for the 2010s (second All Decade Team 2000s), and a five time winner of the A.T. Caggiano Memorial Booster Club Award (no, seriously).

Hit him again...

Does not change the fact that he is still the biggest crybaby ever to lace up the skates. No doubts about his skills but everybody conveniently forgets his cheap shots and whining which he also should have received awards for.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Hit him again...

Only Flyers fans can be deluded into thinking Crosby wouldn't have succeeded against them the last 20 years if we just hit him some more.

Instead of being mad at Crosby, you should be mad at the Flyers for icing such crappy teams since Crosby has been in the league.  It's no coincidence he has scored more points against the Flyers than any other team.

If he were on the Flyers, you would love every minute of it, just like fans loved Clarke.

• Like 2