Flyers 2023-24: A Post-Season Appraisal

10 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I've read that the Flyers are looking to gear up and see about the availability of guys like Necas, Rossi, Krebs, and Zegras this summer.

Just two of these guys would increase the skill level enough to where some the young skill the Flyers have on the wing could really improve too.

It's an interesting time to be a fan of this team.

I have no idea what they have planned .

Both coach and GM say they need more skill in their exit pressers, so I'd be surprised if the roster isn't different next season -and maybe significantly so.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Just two of these guys would increase the skill level enough to where some the young skill the Flyers have on the wing could really improve too.

It's an interesting time to be a fan of this team.

I have no idea what they have planned .

Both coach and GM say they need more skill in their exit pressers, so I'd be surprised if the roster isn't different next season -and maybe significantly so.

I'd be good with Necas and Krebs. Having Necas with Foerster and Konecny would be REAL fun to watch. As well, I could see Krebs forming good chemistry with Farabee and Tippett. Finally, you could put Cates with Frost and Brink and that could be something special. And we haven't even gotten to Couturier yet, but you could swap out Frost with Couturier and have a fourth line of Poehling with Frost/Couturier and Hathaway. I know some will lose it over Couturier on the fourth but at this point, his load needs to be lightened until he's back in full game shape. This gives him time and you can still use him on special teams. Tortorella rode him hard this year and Torts should have known that they needed to restrict his minutes to begin the year after being away for nearly two years. This is a reset for Couturier and playing on that line should help him get back to full game shape.

Necas is also 25, so he'd fit the timeline as well. Krebs is 23. Neither will cost you a first round pick or your top prospects. This is a huge win if Briere adds them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

Make an argument for why the teams they are on don't want them and why, if they don't want them, we do?

😎

Edited by radoran

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll be surprised. My main takeaway from Briere's exit presser was not to expect many changes over the summer. At one point he answered the talent upgrade question by saying he expects the younger players will continue to develop and improve. Some follow-up questions would've been nice but unfortunately that didn't happen and we got no specifics.

He ruled out swapping assets for veterans (he added the "if it makes sense" disclaimer about any potential trades).

He doesn't think anyone in Lehigh will make the Flyers out of camp.

Ersson and Fedotov are the goalies.

Rocky Thompson is the PP coach.

The rebuild timeline hasn't changed despite the team overachieving this year.

Drysdale needs "core muscles" surgery.

Most of his answers were black/white, like the goalies and the PP. But other stuff was open to interpretation. Maybe you heard things differently?

6 hours ago, radoran said:

Make an argument for why the teams they are on don't want them and why, if they don't want them, we do?

😎

I will. In the case of Necas, it's simply a matter of money. Carolina has some significant free agents to re-sign. Necas is the player they could part while it might sting, it won't hurt them or hamper them. 

As for Peyton Krebs, he's just seriously miscast in Buffalo. For whatever reason, he just hasn't caught traction in Buffalo. It's similar to that of Tippett in Florida. It's simply a matter of fit.

As for both Rossi and Zegras, I think it's a matter of their respective clubs trying to shake things up. The thing is, their respective clubs are going to demand serious compensation. 

• Like 1

@radoran

what @BobbyClarkeFan16 said.

I believe I heard Buffalo was once  interested in Laughton,  a young player who is "stuck" would be an excellent return in a trade scenario.

If Buffalo thinks "a Laughton type" helps them get over a hump maybe a trade could happen.

Not everyone in the league has the jaundiced view of the Flyers players that the fans do. 

Frost is cheap and controlled for one more rfa year. He might be appealing to a team that has salary cap concerns.  Maybe a 2 + Frost and the fact the NHL and CAR hosed the Flyers on DeAngelo provides the right atmosphere to put Necas on the table.

Edited by mojo1917

@GratefulFlyers

I heard what you heard.

I also heard, "we're open for business" and that it's "too early to tell" about which guys they may target. 

They need to have talks internally, and they need to watch Lehigh in the playoffs etc. 

To me he sounded like a person who is still gathering information.

It is pretty easy to see the coach and GM were conflicted by the season's results. 

Not having the juice to make something from nothing and a terrible powerplay cost this group a playoff berth, I know we're not the only people who saw that.

I got the feeling from Danny he sees the team as being farther away from cup competitiveness than "almost there". 

Also after watching the Avs/Jets series....this group of Flyers aren't beating either of those teams 4 times. That's a @radoran metric, it's a good one. TOR/BOS, LVK/DAL, LA/EDM should be viewed similarly.

Hell, this group couldn't beat a bad Pens team, a bad Islanders team, or Montreal coming down the stretch. That's not what championship teams do. If he steps back for a moment, I have some faith that Danny will see that too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I believe I heard Buffalo was once  interested in Laughton,  a young player who is "stuck" would be an excellent return in a trade scenario.

If Buffalo thinks "a Laughton type" helps them get over a hump maybe a trade could happen.

Not everyone in the league has the jaundiced view of the Flyers players that the fans do. 

"The problem" here is that Laughton is "too valuable" for the Flyers to deal - they've said it. And I, for one, appreciate the player.

To your point, I would love something to shake this whole thing up. That said, I don't want anything to do with Zegras...

Laughton for Krebs strikes me as a deck chairs move. I don't know why the Wild are dealing a 22 year old top 10 pick with a year left on his deal who just got into the league. (I mentioned Rossi a couple years back with (IIRC) the Giroux trade and was roundly chastised for it as the "Wild never moving Rossi" :hocky:)

To be clear, I'm not opposed to these guys (Zegras possibly exception) as much as I just don't see it necessarily happening.

It's entirely possible - likely, even - that "the answer" to the Flyers isn't available this offseason.

The question then becomes do they try to force it? Again?

:hocky:

• Like 1

@radoran

I'm not really in any rush to get rid of Scott Laughton, that said, if he's the price to adding a player that can take a forecheck going nowhere and pot a goal and turn the tide of a game, for cheap? I'm helping him pack. 

I remember the Rossi outcry so I didn't mention him either.

Also, no thanks to Zegras for me as well. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm not really in any rush to get rid of Scott Laughton, that said, if he's the price to adding a player that can take a forecheck going nowhere and pot a goal and turn the tide of a game, for cheap? I'm helping him pack. 

I'd deal Laughton in a hot second for value.

In unrelated news, checking in with CapFriendly confirms that the Flyers are still paying Bryzgalov for three more years.

Meanwhile, Sergei Bobrovsky is backstopping a Cup favorite. #halloffame

:hocky:

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The question then becomes do they try to force it? Again?

My take away from Danny's presser was they will not.

He seemed prepared to be bad next year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I got the feeling from Danny he sees the team as being farther away from cup competitiveness than "almost there". 

Same here, though he kept repeating "we're not quite there" to answer trade/upgrade questions. I couldn't help thinking...what, not quite there? Was that just PR-speak? The Flyers may not be "2 years away from being 2 years away" anymore but the GM has to know they're nowhere near ready to trade picks/prospects for immediate help.

and then there's goaltending. 🎶 O Danny boy ... the pipes the pipes are calling ... 🎶

I like Ersson. I'm glad he's their #1 next year. I'm a little surprised Briere isn't bringing in some experienced help. Maybe Ersson/Fedotov is Briere's way of tanking? Ditto the "upgrades will come from our younger players." Maybe next year they'll finish with a lottery pick.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 1:32 PM, RonJeremy said:

Not really, in his mind Drysdale may have been the best offer but in Chuck Fletchers mind trading for and re-signing Risto was a good idea too. It all depends on your idea of a good deal

So, you’re not saying he had a better deal and didn’t take it, your saying he’s incompetent and didn’t know he had that better deal?

and you know this, how?

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

If Buffalo thinks this, it could explains why they suck so bad :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

9 hours ago, radoran said:

"The problem" here is that Laughton is "too valuable" for the Flyers to deal - they've said it. And I, for one, appreciate the player

Me too! :bonkingheadonwall:

On 4/19/2024 at 11:21 AM, OccamsRazor said:

I wonder what it would take to get Cole Perfetti from the Jets??

He is on the 4th line and if they bow out early again this year maybe they would be open for a trade of assets.

He can play center and well Flyers have a need at center.

Danny could work up a package that works for both sides.

:PopcornSmiley2:

Meme - I like your style Dude - Viral Viral Videos

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:12 PM, flyercanuck said:

He was a good hire because he replaced Fletcher. Anyone  not named Milbury would have been a good hire if they replaced Fletcher.

I don't think at this point anyone can say Briere is an excellent or crap GM. His best moves to date were a complete no brainer, drafting Michkov, getting rid of Hayes and his ilk. He's made some good trades, and not so good. His draft is a big? so far. We shall see.

but sometimes the best moves are ones you DON'T make :NinjaLookLeftRight1: :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

So, you’re not saying he had a better deal and didn’t take it, your saying he’s incompetent and didn’t know he had that better deal?

and you know this, how?

I’m not saying he’s incompetent, I’m saying he may have thought trading for Drysdale was a good idea, when it turns out it wasn’t. There were obviously other offers for a player of Gauthier's caliber, what those offers are we don’t know.  What I  do know is based on Nolan Patrick and trading for an injured Ellis, Briere should have been more wary of trading for a guy who missed two full seasons. We were in no position to make any more major mistakes like trading for or drafting another soft or chronically injured guy and that’s what we did. I cannot see us winning this trade or breaking even since Drysdale needs core surgery. He’s injury prone it obvious.

11 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

There were obviously other offers for a player of Gauthier's caliber, what those offers are we don’t know.

based on what?

It seems logical to most that Briere took the best offer available. But you keep saying there were better offers and he didnt take them. If thats true, hes incompetent. Where are you getting information that says there were better offers?

• Like 2

I'll add in his presser Drysdale said he expects to be 100% next season. 

How much of that is hockey-player bluster or does he really believe it?

Availability is perhaps the most important ability. I understand that. 

I don't view Drysdale as a lost cause.  Could be along with his frontal lobe, his bones finish developing as he becomes a man in the near future and this time is looked back upon as literal growing pains.

I think this Flyers coaching staff has done a great job with the defensive players in the organization. See Seeler, Nick and Ristolainen, Rasmus both those guys have become real life boys with Brad Shaw's tutelage. 

I'd like to see what that Drysdale kid with all that talent can do after some decent coaching.  

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'll add in his presser Drysdale said he expects to be 100% next season. 

How much of that is hockey-player bluster or does he really believe it?

Availability is perhaps the most important ability. I understand that. 

I don't view Drysdale as a lost cause.  Could be along with his frontal lobe, his bones finish developing as he becomes a man in the near future and this time is looked back upon as literal growing pains.

I think this Flyers coaching staff has done a great job with the defensive players in the organization. See Seeler, Nick and Ristolainen, Rasmus both those guys have become real life boys with Brad Shaw's tutelage. 

I'd like to see what that Drysdale kid with all that talent can do after some decent coaching.  

One thing will help big time find Jamie a stud stay at home to help protect his 6.

IMHO that kid is with the Phamtoms now.

Hunter McDonald is that dude.

Nothing fancy just a good ol stay at home who is sound is his own end and can help eliminate mistakes.

In just 11 games with the Phantoms he was a steady +6.

He will be 22 in May and I expect if give an honest chance and not blocked by some idiotic signing can lock that spot down next camp.

Torts and Shaw will love him because he is going to be a plug and play guy.

He needs to be top 4 and you can bump Seeler to the bottom pair or 7th.

York/Sanheim

McDonald/Drysdale 

Andrea/Risto

Zamula/Seeler

How I see it shaping up. No one has to agree we will certainly see.