As great as G1 was...

Guest canoli

...the Pens aren't going to fold just because we embarrassed them (again) at home. The way they dominated us in the first period was scary and depressing. A lot of it was due to the Flyers standing around too much and waiting for the play (as Lavy said) but it was also because Pitt is a damn good hockey team. If they go up by 2 or 3 again I don't expect them to make the same mistake.

The Pens went soft after Briere scored and it showed. Fleury can win games by himself - almost. Last night proved the "almost" part. The Pens relied on him to make every save and he couldn't, not with the Flyers swarming the way they did. The thing that worries me a bit - if the Pens get another lead and don't go soft, if they continue to attack our net and protect Fleury ...the Flyers won't get nearly the number of good chances they had last night.

I love the "comeback kids" story line, I love scoring 4 unanswered - esp on the road in the POs. But this falling behind crap has to stop if we hope to make it out of the first round. It's hard to believe we pulled it off (again), winning after going down by 3....maybe it wasn't a G7 but it was pretty unbelievable anyway. I'm just not looking forward to trying it all over again on Friday.

• Like 4

Pitt looked great in the first. But Philly came out slow and soft, and Bryz was terrible. It goes both ways. They may have slightly better quality in Crosby, Malkin and Letang, but we have a lot better depth in Giroux, Hartnell, Jagr, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Voracek, Briere, Timonen, Coburn, Read, We just have to be better prepared for the start of the game from the goalie on out.

Yeah I know you're right - it "goes both ways." I certainly didn't see anything that says we can't compete with them (obviously), or that the only reason we won was because they "let us back in." I'm just saying we can't count on them falling asleep defensively for 40 minutes again, the way they did last night. If anything that embarrassment will serve to fire them up. We can handle them and win this series, I just hope nobody in the Flyers' locker room thinks we've seen their best yet.

Yeah I know you're right - it "goes both ways." I certainly didn't see anything that says we can't compete with them (obviously), or that the only reason we won was because they "let us back in." I'm just saying we can't count on them falling asleep defensively for 40 minutes again, the way they did last night. If anything that embarrassment will serve to fire them up. We can handle them and win this series, I just hope nobody in the Flyers' locker room thinks we've seen their best yet.

I think that's the point Lavi has to stress to the team today is the Flyers can't come out flat like they did in the first period last night and expect to win. If they play the way they did in the 3rd period and overtime from the start of the game then they have a better chance of winning.

the first 10 minutes of that game had me wondering if the flyers stood any chance at all. the building was rocking the pens were flying around pucks were finding them. Crosby's goal was hard work but lucky, the staal kennedy play really had me worried. But then the kids realized what kind of game needed to be played and played it.

I know the Pens have some great players but i think the flyer have more good players. Staal can't play 60 minutes a game if you put him out against G's line then that leaves either Danny or Read's line vs the Pens 4th and we'll win that all day everyday.

I know the series isn't over but that win was satisfying, I thought as the game went on our speed and physicality started to show on those guys already. I thought Orpik looked slow and everybody saw Letang make a rushed bad play to end the game... and those are their two best....

Wellwood was awesome again that guy is almost a 2 man forecheck by himself.

I like this flyers team .... a lot.

I wasn't surprised to see a team that was icing half a dozen rookies a little taken aback by the atmosphere in Pittsburgh and the intense emotion from the fans. I don't care how many World Juniors or CHL playoff games you've been in, your first Stanley Cup playoff game on the road in front of 20,000 screaming fans is going to have an impact.

What was great to see is that the team settled in and got down to business after the first 18 minutes. I don't think the Pens let up as much as the Flyers stepped up.

There was no way that the Pens were still fat and happy because of their 3-0 lead in the first when the Flyers cut it to 3-2 in the third. Giving up that third goal and then Voracek embarassing Letang on the game-winner to me showed the Flyers taking control of the game.

The Flyers have a long way to go, but they have established all season, and reinforced last night, that they never feel they are out of a game and always feel they can compete their way back into it.

They do need to start better and will not survive giving up 3-0 leads again and again, but giving up the first goal is not something that will deflate this squad.

Good win. 15 to go.

Giving up that third goal and then Voracek embarassing Letang on the game-winner to me showed the Flyers taking control of the game.

"Giving up that third goal and then Voracek embarassing Letang _AND STAAL_ on the game-winner to me showed the Flyers taking control of the game." FTFY

• Like 1

I wasn't surprised to see a team that was icing half a dozen rookies a little taken aback by the atmosphere in Pittsburgh and the intense emotion from the fans. I don't care how many World Juniors or CHL playoff games you've been in, your first Stanley Cup playoff game on the road in front of 20,000 screaming fans is going to have an impact.

What was great to see is that the team settled in and got down to business after the first 18 minutes. I don't think the Pens let up as much as the Flyers stepped up.

There was no way that the Pens were still fat and happy because of their 3-0 lead in the first when the Flyers cut it to 3-2 in the third. Giving up that third goal and then Voracek embarassing Letang on the game-winner to me showed the Flyers taking control of the game.

The Flyers have a long way to go, but they have established all season, and reinforced last night, that they never feel they are out of a game and always feel they can compete their way back into it.

They do need to start better and will not survive giving up 3-0 leads again and again, but giving up the first goal is not something that will deflate this squad.

Good win. 15 to go.

Absolutely right here rad. They were even talking about Schenn having a hard time talking before the game.

Agreed that the series is far from over and that the Pens showed themselves to be a tough opponent--if we didn't know that already. But I'm hoping the team is feeling the same as many of their fans on their chat boards. Folks over there are talking about dumping Fluery and scrapping their entire defense in the off-season. One said, "I won't feel comfortable with a four-goal lead in this series." I can't imagine the players are that much despair right now after just one loss, but I hope so! The Flyers seem to be getting inside their heads.

I'm sure it's been talked about in other threads, but what do people think of the first Briere goal? Looked like it was offside to me. We got away with one there... plus that Staal post that would have made it 4-0.

I have no internet and no TV, so all I can do is watch the recap on NHL.com the next day. Not ideal, but what can you do?

@brelic: It was offside, although you didn't notice it right away. The linesman was in bad position because even he was following the play up the ice. Got away with it, but at that point it was still 3-1, so it's minor in regards to the overall game.

In regards to the Stall post - and if the Flyers had buried some of the great chances that they had early in the game, we wouldn't be talking about a comeback win, but a blowout win.

@brelic: It was offside, although you didn't notice it right away. The linesman was in bad position because even he was following the play up the ice. Got away with it, but at that point it was still 3-1, so it's minor in regards to the overall game.

In regards to the Stall post - and if the Flyers had buried some of the great chances that they had early in the game, we wouldn't be talking about a comeback win, but a blowout win.

if this... if that... the IF game is for the losers to play. the game's result is what it is. those types of things happen in games as humans are playing and officiating them. we've had our share over the years and i'm sure we'll have more.

What annoys me is that we almost, at this point, have to leave with a fact that we will be dealing with two different Flyers teams during every single game. It was this way during the regular season, and, not surprisingly, it spilled over to the playoffs. I guess it would be a tough question to ask why this team continuously has poor starts. I am not sure if it's bad preparation or an impression that they can just steamroll or sleepwalk through the first period and still win the game. One thing I know, if they come out unprepared and not ready to play again, they will be hard pressed to do it twice.

@MadDog - the flipside is our opponent is afflicted with this schizod play as well, strong in the first, tepid by the end. PITT seemed to lose the last 10 draws and had that similar deer-in-the-headlights look in OT.

The lousy starts, and the strong finishes, hinge on Bryz, IMO. If he plays the opening 10 like he does a Penalty Kill, it should be smoother ice. That being said, if PITT fixes their flaccid PP they'll be back in biz.

It's a dogfight MadDog, and we're in the Pit. Second best thing about winning the opener on the road is knowing you can do it again come Game 7, w/ no Pronger and Timo get 15 minutes of ice!

What annoys me is that we almost, at this point, have to leave with a fact that we will be dealing with two different Flyers teams during every single game. It was this way during the regular season, and, not surprisingly, it spilled over to the playoffs. I guess it would be a tough question to ask why this team continuously has poor starts. I am not sure if it's bad preparation or an impression that they can just steamroll or sleepwalk through the first period and still win the game. One thing I know, if they come out unprepared and not ready to play again, they will be hard pressed to do it twice.

I don't kNow if I think the flyers weren't "ready". I think half of them had no idea the hornets nest they they were stepping into... That building was rocking the home team was feeding off the energy, and then Pens ice a pretty good team. Totally agree we cannot spot them 3 a night but I'll bet the adjustment period for game 2 will be a lot shorter. The looks I saw on some of the young guys faces during those firstn10 minutes was sheer bewilderment... Lavs called the time out at the right time ...again and got them to settle down. once we started moving our feet we got back in it... Maybe the way to combat the bad start is to fine anyone who tries to fancy Dan into the offensive zone in the first 10 minutes of each game. Get the puck deep move your feet and grind their asses...

Good point Rad, the newness of it all certainly contributed to the "deer-in-the-headlights" disease the rookies had in the first period. It doesn't explain why the veterans had the same disease, and last night wasn't the first time the Flyers and their Humongous FA Goalie looked that way. But what the hell...

Thanks to everyone who responded, you eased my mind a bit. Friday night we'll see which team learned its lesson - OMG Boston just won in OT on a shot from 40 feet out. Ugh. Early-season Bryzgalov-esque. Ugly goal. A good, hard shot but a bad goal to end the game. Ah screw the Caps anyway.

Let's Go FLYERS!!!

Good point Rad, the newness of it all certainly contributed to the "deer-in-the-headlights" disease the rookies had in the first period. It doesn't explain why the veterans had the same disease, and last night wasn't the first time the Flyers and their Humongous FA Goalie looked that way. But what the hell...

No, it wasn't the first time. And it might not be the last.

But focusing attention solely on the frist period ignores, or at least diminshes, what happened in the next two in which, after all, the Flyers won the game.

Yes, if they play like the did in the first period they will lose and lose badly.

But if they play like they did for the other TWO THIRDS of the game, they have more than a good shot at taking the series.