Jvr should play like Neal

Guest Southwestflyer

Watching Neal couldn't help but think and hope that jvr will be playing like this in the near future.

Yeah, like grump said, I don't want JvR hitting people high every shift. That guy has a problem and he's going to get tuned up if he doesn't cool it. I also don't want JvR to go into panic mode like Neal did today and spend the game trying to do it all on his own. He did a willfully bad job of using his line mates. No thanks.

@terp

I'd trade JVR for Neal in a heartbeat. He was one of the Pens best players the entire series, along with Staal. He's a threat to score anytime he gets near the net.Yes he played on the edge (and over a couple times) but at least he plays with passion. You have to pry passion out of Van Riemsdyk.

@terp

I'd trade JVR for Neal in a heartbeat. He was one of the Pens best players the entire series, along with Staal. He's a threat to score anytime he gets near the net.Yes he played on the edge (and over a couple times) but at least he plays with passion. You have to pry passion out of Van Riemsdyk.

I would too but Neal doesn't need to run around hitting people in the head to be effective.

.@terp

Sure. Their entire team was frustrated at that point. He went too far, but he still had a great series. All I'm saying is I'd love JVR to play with his desire. We saw it once. I hope it rears it's ugly head again soon.

I get that he's got in bundles what we wish JvR had. Simmonds would be another good role model in that department.

Watching Neal couldn't help but think and hope that jvr will be playing like this in the near future.

I still thought the Flyers should have traded JVR at the deadline..he's nice to have but not needed anymore on this team..his 4 mill a year cap hit is going to hurt..

I still thought the Flyers should have traded JVR at the deadline..he's nice to have but not needed anymore on this team..his 4 mill a year cap hit is going to hurt..

I agree that JVR has become expendable I just don't see what team would have traded for an injured player at the deadline. Typically teams are adding pieces at the deadline to make a run to the playoffs. Teams are more willing to take a flier on a guy and make a move for JVR in the offseason when they do a roster makeover. I'm hoping he does well soon and builds his value back up in the playoffs so we can move him for a D prospect or picks.

I agree that JVR has become expendable I just don't see what team would have traded for an injured player at the deadline. Typically teams are adding pieces at the deadline to make a run to the playoffs. Teams are more willing to take a flier on a guy and make a move for JVR in the offseason when they do a roster makeover. I'm hoping he does well soon and builds his value back up in the playoffs so we can move him for a D prospect or picks.

your right I forgot he got hurt right before the trade deadline..unfortunantly I think his stock is going to continue to plummet unless he has a big playoff performance..

Neal had more cheap shots than goals, and was a -3. Hardly a "great" series.

The Penguins played their best game when he wasn't even in the building.

His goalie let in, what, TEN bad goals? I saw him and Staal as their two best players...who did you see? I get they lost the series. I get that he threw some cheapshots. I just thought the guy was one of their big threats, who played hard.

His goalie let in, what, TEN bad goals? I saw him and Staal as their two best players...who did you see? I get they lost the series. I get that he threw some cheapshots. I just thought the guy was one of their big threats, who played hard.

I disagree I thought Malkin overall played way better than Neal.. Staal was there best player all series..for sure..

I liked how he drove hard to the net. Stall is a center, so I wasn't comparing him to a center. To me he and Neal are both big, skilled guys on the wing. I'd like to see jvr put pressure on teams the way Neal does .... Beating guys 1 v 1 when driving hard to the net. I think it's what the flyers envisioned when they drafted him.... And I still believe he can be that player... We've seen glimpses.

Edited by Southwestflyer

Guys that will be traded before the draft...Luongo, Elliot and JVR and maybe even Carle's rights..if someonewants them...

...maybe Carle wants to go home he lives in Minny in the off season...

...flip him for something...don't just let him walk.

Edit: Sorry i just don't think JVR can live up to expectations here...maybe a trade will do him some good...flip him to L.A. they love Flyer players...maybe for Voynov and a pick (just an example)

Edited by OccamsRazor

Guys that will be traded before the draft...Luongo, Elliot and JVR and maybe even Carle's rights..if someonewants them...

...maybe Carle wants to go home he lives in Minny in the off season...

...flip him for something...don't just let him walk.

Edit: Sorry i just don't think JVR can live up to expectations here...maybe a trade will do him some good...flip him to L.A. they love Flyer players...maybe for Voynov and a pick (just an example)

Good thought on Carle going to Minny, they'll have alot of cap money to spend..I hear there aggressively pursing Parise..

You have to pry passion out of Van Riemsdyk.

haha,too true and the only reason I jump on the "trade JVR" wagon. If only the kid would play with the passion he showed us he can play with regularly.

as far as his contributions to this team this post season, he really need to knock off the rust. To me he wasn't MUCH better than Rinaldo from a hockey stand point and he wasn't nearly as physical.

Put it this way, how pissed were *you* when you heard Neal was going to the Pens. I know I was. I wish JVR had that gear that Neal does, and his consistency and intensity. We shall see what comes of JVR, but I do hate hoping while other guys are working hard and breaking out.

• Like 1

@Spinorama

In all fairnes to JVR I expected him to be rusty and mentioned in an earlier thread he likely wouldn't be an improvement over what we already had. But if Philly continues to go deeper, he can shake that rust off and if he puts his mind to it, be a difference maker. I just hate the fact he has to decide whether he wants to or not.

@flyercanuck

Well that mono-kid has turned out to be a special player, cannot wait to see his offensive game flourish. JvR would likely not been a first round pick in last years draft, charitably he'd be a very late pick for a team that could afford to let him play some in the A.

@doom88

Ya, a few of us keep saying for JVRs sake that it takes a lot longer for big guys to grow into their bodies. In other news 6'4" teenager Sean Couturier continues to impress.

True. I've been a huge JVR supporter, because I thought maybe he could be the Flyers version of Franzen... who took some time to become the player he is. So, when I watch JVR I find myself thinking give him time and he is going to be dominant; but, when I watch Couturier I think man when this guy fills out he is going to be dominant.... All that being written, JVR dominated during the playoffs last year, and is coming back from an injury.... the 2nd round, if he stays healthy will be a good test.

JVR has had 2 games now - very limited ice-time in both (7:31 in G5, 6:46 in G6) -

He's got some passionate intensity ... who knows how much... Who knows when we'll see it again...

I wish I could just hate this kid once and for all. A tiny piece of me hopes he sucks all the way through the SCF and we get rid of him this summer. My real hope is that he rocks the hockey world with how well he plays the next 3 rounds.

(a)A tiny piece of me hopes he sucks all the way through the SCF and we get rid of him this summer.

(b)My real hope is that he rocks the hockey world with how well he plays the next 3 rounds.

My vote is for (the letter"b" here) .....and we can still trade him for a better d-man+.....the Flyers have shown how well they can play without him already.....

Absolutely! Why didn't I think of that? We can do both.

I swear sometimes I think JVR thinks he's a D-man...the way he hangs back, plays far away from that nasty crease area...

[edit: for the record I'd like to agree with the OP - I would love to see JVR play like Neal, with one minor adjustment - knock off the cheap elbow shots. But that kinda thing you can school a kid to stop doing. You can't teach passion...unfortunately. Neal's got it, JVR doesn't, or if he does it's MIA most of the time]

Edited by canoli