Will you root for the Kings?

Guest bryanc

Interesting question amongst my Flyers brethren who were watching the game with me last night -- Will you root for the Kings if/when the Flyers are eliminated?

Now, obviously if it were a Kings/Flyers final I would not. But what if it were Kings/Rangers? I think I would, but about half the people watching with me last night would not.

Why?

I feel like the Ricahrds and Carter animosity is a little thick sometimes. Sure they didn;t work out here as planned, but the "he's dead to me" angle that I hear some friends throw is a bit thick. Plus I would like to see Williams get the cup (again), and Hextall win one, too. Shame about Gagne, though -- that's one Flyer I always wanted to see lift the cup no matter where he played, and he's been out with a concussion.

SO what will you do?

Once the Flyers are out it, then It officially becomes the start of the Phillies season in the Mega Household.....

No need to root for other team's glory; besides my schadenfreude meter hasn't been working properly since the Penguins and the Bruins got bounced.

though it may start working again if the Rangers get bounced.

NO!

I agree.

I actually like the team and Richards, but the reason i will not root for them is JEFF CARTER. He whined his way out of Columbus to be with his boyfriend in LA and now he has a realistic chance of going from the cesspool of hockey to raising the cup...all because he whined and played poorly to force a trade.

If they win I'll watch Richie lift the cup and then change the channel when he passes it to his blonde girlfriend (Carter)

• Like 2

Interesting question amongst my Flyers brethren who were watching the game with me last night -- Will you root for the Kings if/when the Flyers are eliminated?

Now, obviously if it were a Kings/Flyers final I would not. But what if it were Kings/Rangers? I think I would, but about half the people watching with me last night would not.

Why?

I feel like the Ricahrds and Carter animosity is a little thick sometimes. Sure they didn;t work out here as planned, but the "he's dead to me" angle that I hear some friends throw is a bit thick. Plus I would like to see Williams get the cup (again), and Hextall win one, too. Shame about Gagne, though -- that's one Flyer I always wanted to see lift the cup no matter where he played, and he's been out with a concussion.

SO what will you do?

Yes!

I still like our ex Flyers (with the possible exception of Carter) and would like to see a young, underdog team take it all.

No way. I didn't like Richards and Carter when they were here, so no way I'm going to cheer for them now.

I like Quick. I like Brown. Williams is gone long enough that I really don't care either way as far as the ex-Flyer thing goes. Plus, he's already won one. If Gagne were still playing, I still wouldn't cheer for LA, but I think I'd at least feel slightly bad about it. But he's not...

When it comes down to it, though, if there's one city I like cheering for LESS than New York, it's Los Angeles. So, LA + Richie + Jeffrey = No way in hell.

NO!!!. I COULD STOMACH RICHY WINNING AND GAGS I WOULD BE HAPPY FOR. BUT CARTER WHO WHINED HIS WAY OUT OF THE BLUE JACKETS ORGANIZATION AND DID NOT WANT TO PLAY THAT IS JUST CLASSLESS. I LOVE HOCKEY BUT IF THE FLYERS ARE NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS HOCKEY IS DEAD TO ME

No, I will not root for the Kings. Honestly I don't how I can bring myself to watch anything after this, I have 2 New York teams in the ECF, a bunch of ex-Flyers in LA whose winning of a Cup would be more dark humor thrown on top of 37 Cupless years here....and Phoenix, a team that was ready to relocate and now all of a sudden is on Bettman-justifying playoff run.

I'll watch, but I don't know how....

Caps, Kings, and Phoenix for me. I dislike the Caps but they're my hometown team and I love Ovechkin and Backstrom. Plus my little brother is a huge Capitals fan. I just wouldn't want to deal with the backlash of all my friends who are hockey "fans" celebrating about how awesome the Caps are. I like the Kings but I really don't want to see Carter win the Cup. Kings fans don't know why we dislike him so much but they'll learn within three years. Phoenix is a team I've always kind of liked and it would be awesome for Doan to win it all. Obviously not rooting for the Rags or Debs. If it comes down to LA vs. WSH, I'll probably root for WSH but I guess it wouldn't matter to me.

Why?

SO what will you do?

NO!

Just can't do it!!!!!!!

Hurts to much...here hoping the can pull out 3 in a row. At least there is no reason for them to hold anything back now (not that they were)....just saying time to EMPTY the tank for sure now.

Carter with the Cup winner on a feed from Richards. BOOK.IT.

(other way around would require a pass from Carter, and we all know THAT isn't gonna happen)

Even worse...Kings call a timeout, John Stevens gets the sharpie out and draws a play, Richards wins the faceoff to Carter who shoots wide but banks in off a defenseman in double OT.

Absolutely. I'm an unapologetic Richards and Carter fan. And please show me any PROOF that Carter whined his way out of Columbus? Did he mope and cry hysterically after the trade? Likely. But does anyone remember him complaining publicly about anything?

I don't. The guy was voted most gentlemanly player in the OHL. Sorry that he refused to put a stick in someone's eye as a Flyer.

The guy is/was hated more for what he wasn't than appreciated for what he was. It's the Jean Beliveau syndrome. Montreal wanted Beliveau to be the second coming of the Rocket (he that hit people over the head with hockey sticks) and that just was not going to happen.

Not to mention Gagne and Hextall although I'm not sure Gagne has enough games (I think he's 7 games short) to get his name on the Cup. If the Kings earn the championship, I have no problem at all with any one of those players winning it. Even lazy-ass Penner has come to play.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I'm an unapologetic Richards and Carter fan. And please show me any PROOF that Carter whined his way out of Columbus? Did he mope and cry hysterically after the trade? Likely. But does anyone remember him complaining publicly about anything?

I don't. The guy was voted most gentlemanly player in the OHL. Sorry that he refused to put a stick in someone's eye as a Flyer.

The guy is/was hated more for what he wasn't than appreciated for what he was. It's the Jean Beliveau syndrome. Montreal wanted Beliveau to be the second coming of the Rocket (he that hit people over the head with hockey sticks) and that just was not going to happen.

Not to mention Gagne and Hextall although I'm not sure Gagne has enough games (I think he's 7 games short) to get his name on the Cup. If the Kings earn the championship, I have no problem at all with any one of those players winning it. Even lazy-ass Penner has come to play.

Agreed, I'd have no problem seeing the Kings win with all of those ex-Flyers on the team. I'm sure if Marc Savard got his name on the cup then the Kings could petition to get Simon Gagne's name on. It would have been great to see Richards and Gagne lift the cup in a Flyers uniform but it's not their fault that Holmgren didn't get a real goalie that year. As long as the Rangers, Devils or Capitals don't win the cup then I'll be happy.

Agreed, I'd have no problem seeing the Kings win with all of those ex-Flyers on the team. I'm sure if Marc Savard got his name on the cup then the Kings could petition to get Simon Gagne's name on. It would have been great to see Richards and Gagne lift the cup in a Flyers uniform but it's not their fault that Holmgren didn't get a real goalie that year. As long as the Rangers, Devils or Capitals don't win the cup then I'll be happy.

Is Gagne out for the duration?

Well, it could be a moot point after tonight, but the only team I would truly root for other than the Flyers is Nashville. My dad has lived there for 25 years and I have been to a few games. They have patiently built their organization the right way through drafts and some good trades (some bad ones too -cough Forsberg - thanks for Kimmo and Hartnell!), they have a small but loyal fan base, and they have a very good (and admirable) coach. If no Flyers, I say go Preds!!! (but it aint lookin good for them either so I probably wont be cheering for anyone after this round. I will watch some games purely from an observers perspective which can be fun as there is no emotional attachment to the outcome of the games.)

@Clarke2Leach

I can understand Richards, but how can you be a Jeff Carter fan?

Well, it all started way back when during the World Juniors (of course). I think the guy has contributed a lot of goals to the cause while being defensively responsible. Also had the bad luck to get injured at almost the worst possible times by doing silly things like blocking pucks. He could be frustrating to watch, but try and name me a Flyer in the last week who isn't. For sure he lacks snarl, but I really don't think that's the kind of thing a player can effectively fake.

If you look for the bad you can find it. Same goes for the good.