Carle Hatred! (as opposed to yesterday - Carter Hatred...)

Guest idahophilly

"The only thing that is somewhat puzzling to me: Why was no deal struck when the tagging space was still available prior to the club extending both Coburn and Grossmann? I would think the answer to the question is that the Flyers, the Carle camp or both wanted to see what kind of season the defenseman would have and then determine the player's price tag relative to his open market value"

Yes, or maybe management thought it was more important to lock down Coburn and Grossman first? If they signed Carle first, they wouldn't have been to tea bag, er tag, either Coburn or Grossman

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that tagging is not the same as tea-bagging?

Where the hell is the Tonner? This one screams out for his input.

Yeah Podes, tea bagging jokes just aren't the same without the Tonner

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that tagging is not the same as tea-bagging?

Where the hell is the Tonner? This one screams out for his input.

Tonner's "tagging space" is the back seat of his '77 Eldorado.

1f634c2268f573c16e648b23392e4364.jpg

Edited by terp

Another good article. Many of you probably saw this today but for those who didn't, some more food for thought...

http://www.hockeybuz...Alumni/45/44847

What do you all think?

Sorry Carle, I forgot your "E"...

Good article - glad somebody said it besides us few Carle fans (for lack of a better word). And none of us ever mentioned the durability factor. He plays soft compared to some (okay "most") but the upside is he stays in the lineup night in, night out and logs big minutes (which only went up in the POs). I like Meltzer's point about Carle's shot-blocking too. He doesn't lay out the way Lappy did but he gets the job done all the same.

I don't say "keep him at all costs" but if they can hammer out a deal for under $5 mil per then I'm all for it. Plus the patented Homer-NMC of course...

Plus the patented Homer-NMC of course...

If Homer throws in this NMC *this* time, this will be really stupid. I am OK with giving him around $4.5 mil (give'n take), but there is absolutely no reason to sign Carle with an NMC. None!

I want them to resign Carle if they can, but I'm on board with MD's aversion to the NMC. I would, however, like them to improve the defense in such a way that both Carle and Timonen play less minutes.

Said it before and I'll say it again.... I think a lot if Flyers fans don't see Carle as the rest of the league does. This article points that out pretty well. He's the only defenseman you have that worries me carrying the puck into our end. And he may be soft but he's very sound positionally.

A lot of Flyer fans don't see a lot of their players as the rest of the league does.

It's the curse of familiarity.

I have never had a problem with the concept of keeping Carle, the question has always been his asking price.

At 28 he can sign a "cap friendly" deal and still have time to cash in bigger before the 35+ clause rears it's ugly head. If he makes this decision, kudos to him!

A lot of Flyer fans don't see a lot of their players as the rest of the league does.

It's the curse of familiarity.

I have never had a problem with the concept of keeping Carle, the question has always been his asking price.

At 28 he can sign a "cap friendly" deal and still have time to cash in bigger before the 35+ clause rears it's ugly head. If he makes this decision, kudos to him!

Sadly that kind of thinking is more and more scarce.

• Like 1

If Homer throws in this NMC *this* time, this will be really stupid.

Ha! I hear ya. But maybe you better brace yourself, because this new contract is when he'll get it (if he ever gets one at all). He's 27 or 28 right? Everyone knows his worth...he wants stability, a long-term...figures he's in a position of strength (he knows the Flyers need him but they're squeezed a bit on the cap).

As long as he doesn't go all Kim Johnnson on us I'm okay with Carle getting a NMC...at around $5 mil/season.

As long as he doesn't go all Kim Johnnson on us I'm okay with Carle getting a NMC...at around $5 mil/season.

OK, but then the question becomes what would be a reasonable duration of the contract? Would you really be OK with signing Carle to 5 years at $5 mil with NMC? Personally - and it's just me - I wouldn't be OK with that. 3 years? Maybe, and even that's pushing.

Matt Carle hasn't done much to warrant such a commitment from the Flyers, to tell you the truth. His play has been sporadic and inconsistent. He very much depends on the partner he is paired with. He can be above average offensively. That, to me, is his main attribute. Defensively, he is a C+ type d-man: not flat out terrible, but not consistently reliable either.

I honestly don't see him as a $5 mil player, let alone signing him to a long term, NMC contract.

Update:

http://thehockeyguys.net/breaking-matt-carle-and-philadelphia-flyers-working-to-reach-deal/

According to sources close to the situation, Matt Carle’s deal with the Philadelphia Flyers is expected to be announced on July 1. Although I’m told a finalized deal is NOT in place at this time, a final agreement is close.

It is believed that Carle and his camp will be looking for a deal for three or more years at over $12.75-million.

@Mad Dog

I think there are many GMs that would pay carle 5 million a year; They are setting the price, not us.

So that aside,

if he signs for 5 years he'd be 33 for his next contract , still young enough to earn another nice payday, where at that age, unless he turns into Scott Neidermyer in the next 2 years he can seek it else where. But in the meantime that length of contract may help to keep his cap number below 5 mil because it shows commitment from the organization.

@Mad Dog

I think there are many GMs that would pay carle 5 million a year; They are setting the price, not us.

I am well aware of that. History tells us that there will always be at least one crazy GM who will overpay in the most ridiculous way possible. We have seen crazy money thrown at players who don't come even close to deserving those contracts. There is no doubt in my mind that Carle will easily fetch a $5 mil/year contract on an open market. To your point, what *we* think Carle is worth, may be - and probably will be - drastically different from what teams will be willing to pay.

I am asking more from the perspective of what this team should be willing to pay him and even more importantly (I think), what length would they want to sign him to. And I, personally, would sign him to no more than 3 years at around $4.6 mil. His agent, I am sure, will say, "Thanks, but we will test an open market". And that would be fine by me. But I am not a GM. I am commenting strictly what *I* would do.