FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

If there's a player in the NHL the Flyers should offer sheet, this is the guy. I have no problem giving up 4-1sts for Weber. This isn't a broken down Chris Pronger, this is the best defenceman in the world just entering his prime. Those 1st round picks aren't as valuable as the players the Preds would want in a trade.

• Like 3

Yep. They have to have the money. I just think Holmgren didn't want Weber to go to anyone other team.

Keeping Weber out of Pittsburgh and New York is a victory in itself. Although with that in mind, if Weber really doesn't want to spend the rest of his career in Nashville, he mighta screwed himself by signing this offer sheet and not just waiting until next year

• Like 4

The Flyers might have made an offer Nashville will have trouble matching. If that's the case, look for Nashville, and the league, to be very pissed about the rich team picking on the poor team and putting a lot of pressure on the Flyers to take back the picks and give roster players. I'd like to see the Flyers say no to that, especially since the Preds are sure to want Cooter, Simmonds, Voracek and what have you; in short, a package worth way more than 4 late first round picks. No thanks to that.

Flyers are playing by league rules. Bettman will be getting a lot of calls today from other owners. The Big Bad Flyers strike again led by their owner and GM. The most agggressive ownership and management of any team in any major sport. Go Flyers. Tipping point here will be tht Weber will hold out if Nashville matches forcing a trade that Poile gets far less.

These message boards are wearing off on me. There was a time when I would see a signing/offer like this and get all excited about the name and from an immediate hockey perspective. Now people here have me concerned about things such as duration of contract, cap hit, etc.

I like Weber. I actually like him better than Suter. IF the Flyers actually get him, they have a pretty dern good defense this year. And Suter will be valuable, barring injury, for 5-6 years. And then, Flyers will have another 8 years of who knows.

I don't like the idea of strapping that kind of money to one guy for THAT many years. And I really don't like the idea of giving up FOUR first round draft picks. One of the fun things, for me, about this past year was the relative youth of the team. Enjoy it now, because we won't have many youngsters in 5 years or so.

This has a Deja Vu ring to it. No first rounders for four years is kind of painful. I'd rather give players,than draft picks.

Keep in mind this is all about winning 2-3 Cups in next 5 years. This is Snider's legacy. This is how rich men do it. Nothing else matters. Even the contract length and the money after the next 5 years.

• Like 4

This has a Deja Vu ring to it. No first rounders for four years is kind of painful. I'd rather give players,than draft picks.

again this is why i thank all the gods that you are not the gm of the team.

roster players in the league are worth less than a late first round draft pick ?

we'll be fine, homer just needs to quit treating 2nd round picks like banks treat toasters

This is fantastic, good for Homer. Now he has his ballsy move a la Clarke's offer sheet of Kesler. BUT, this means extending Giroux is absolutely positively critical before he hits RFA in a few years.

Man I hope they don't match, or trade for less.

• Like 1

I was ecstatic when I saw the report but rapidly downgraded to cautiosly optimistic. This will be an agonizing 7 days waiting to see if the Preds will match. If we get Weber it does mean a couple things. I think that it almost 100% means that Pronger will be done (although I salivate with the vision of a healthy Pronger and Weber on the blueline)

I don't recall all the rules associated with RFA Offers but is it possible that the Predators could decline to match the offer and trade Weber to the Flyers in exchange for roster players? If that is the case I almost wonder now if that means the Schenn brothers would go to Nashville?

I was right there with you. "Wow!" followed by "it would be nice but....". Nashville almost needs to match to hit the salaryfloor. Plus, with a hit just over $7,000,000 I think Homer almost made the offer too easy for Nashville to match. The annual hit is less than Suter! That's mind boggling.

These message boards are wearing off on me. There was a time when I would see a signing/offer like this and get all excited about the name and from an immediate hockey perspective. Now people here have me concerned about things such as duration of contract, cap hit, etc.

I like Weber. I actually like him better than Suter. IF the Flyers actually get him, they have a pretty dern good defense this year. And Suter will be valuable, barring injury, for 5-6 years. And then, Flyers will have another 8 years of who knows.

I don't like the idea of strapping that kind of money to one guy for THAT many years. And I really don't like the idea of giving up FOUR first round draft picks. One of the fun things, for me, about this past year was the relative youth of the team. Enjoy it now, because we won't have many youngsters in 5 years or so.

You're beginning to sound like me. I hated the Briere signing. I hated the Pronger signing. I hated the Bryzgalov signing. At least Weber is arguably the best at his position AND in just entering his prime.

• Like 2

Holy Hockey Batman!

Just saw this......all I can say is WOW..WOW..WOW....

Serious question....Does Nashville match?? I just don't think Homer makes this move without alot of thought put into it and lining up his ducks in a row....

from what i've read, holmgren was trying to trade some player for Weber but Poile wouldn't budge. I'm never going to try to guess trader Paul's mind again, he's a shrewd MFer. i'll even bet you he told Poile straight up take this deal Dave, it's a good deal , if you don't i'm coming back with Ed's check book and you won't like that.

this is no lose for the flyers.

(chuckling)...i love that line "take this deal Dave, it's a good deal , if you don't i'm coming back with Ed's check book and you won't like that."

Great stuff Mojo.... :)

Holy Hockey Batman!

Just saw this......all I can say is WOW..WOW..WOW....

Serious question....Does Nashville match?? I just don't think Homer makes this move without alot of thought put into it and lining up his ducks in a row....

Ducks? Did someone say Ducks? So we're trading Voracek's rights, since we can't afford him now, to the Ducks?

Yep. They have to have the money. I just think Holmgren didn't want Weber to go to anyone other team.

If that is the case..what a brilliant move by Homer. The dude must have ice in his veins for blood. would hate to play poker with him.... :D

• Like 2

I guess this means if the Preds do not match..we are done being trading partners with them! :P

I'd say you're done with that either way. What's more I think Nashville WILL match. On top of that, I could also see Poile having a little turnabout with someone like Giroux or Couturier down the line to return the favor. I know if I were him I'd be just waiting for the chance to..