Well that was fun. NSH Matches

Guest jkearse123

Can Weber be traded to anyone after the year is up?? I thought that the offer sheet was a way to stop some of the other

teams (Rags, Pissburg, etc.) from getting him.. And do you think that the Preds would trade him to the Flyers after

everything that has transpired??

@FLYERS67

He has to be with NSH for this season...he cannot be traded anywhere. After next year..yes he can be move....would NSH consider a trade with philly..yeah but it would be a steep price. The time to have gotten him was now....... And no I don't think they would entertain any offers from Homer...

I can't see how this makes sense for Nashville. They're going to burn $27 million of their $160 mil value on one guy, a guy who's made it quite clear he doesn't want to skate for the Predators anymore.

He's their captain and he's watched his team grow into a contender, a solid team who only needed a bit more scoring help and some time (and luck) to make it to the Final. What happened? They haggled with Weber every step of the way and finally let Suter walk for nothing.

I know they're all professionals and I'm sure Weber will work his tail off, the way he always has. But it's got to sting him, knowing he was thisclose to working for Lavy and the Flyers, only to be hauled back to Nashville.

• Like 3

I can't see how this makes sense for Nashville. They're going to burn $27 million of their $160 mil value on one guy, a guy who's made it quite clear he doesn't want to skate for the Predators anymore.

He's their captain and he's watched his team grow into a contender, a solid team who only needed a bit more scoring help and some time (and luck) to make it to the Final. What happened? They haggled with Weber every step of the way and finally let Suter walk for nothing.

I know they're all professionals and I'm sure Weber will work his tail off, the way he always has. But it's got to sting him, knowing he was thisclose to working for Lavy and the Flyers, only to be hauled back to Nashville.

pride comes before the fall. this is a very 'prideful' moment for them. they cannot afford this. nashville will be weber, rinne and NONAME #1,2,3,4,5,,6,etc..

Nashville has locked up their cornerstone captain defenseman for the remainder of his career.

Sounds like it could be a prudent investment.

Assuming Weber is a professional.

Hard to imagine.

Maybe with that kind of money, he doesn't mind staying in Nashville?

He has to know that the team will make no significant moves for a few years now. It's pretty much him & Rinne playing with a bunch of rentals.

Nashville has locked up their cornerstone captain defenseman for the remainder of his career.

Sounds like it could be a prudent investment.

does not seem like a prudent investment to pay at guy $27m over the next year(especially when your ticket revenue is slightly less than that). the same guy who was just saying, through his agent, that he'd kindly like to move on and play somewhere else.

does not seem like a prudent investment to pay at guy $27m over the next year(especially when your ticket revenue is slightly less than that). the same guy who was just saying, through his agent, that he'd kindly like to move on and play somewhere else.

Which is the point of

Weber had to know this was a real possibility (being tied to Nashville for 14 years) when he signed the offer sheet.

If he didn't, he was only fooling himself into believing what he wanted to believe instead of looking at the bigger picture.

yeah pretty much. I like Erat and Legwand, they both can skate and score - a bit, 50 points each. But after that came Suter and then Weber, as far as point production went last year. Maybe Gausted lights it up for them next season!

I can only guess, obviously, but I'd say Weber thought it through and figured the worst outcome was he's in Nashville till next July...with a ton of money in his pocket (which would've been the case anyway, anywhere for him).

But I don't think this deal "locks him up" at all - for 14 years or even 2. The Preds get 1 more year out of Weber and then he'll get himself traded. Just guessing ...

I was reading comments on tsn.ca and one of the comments stated that he has a no-trade clause that kicks in after next year, if that is true, if Weber wanted to be traded could he pull a Rick Nash on Nashville and limit the number of teams he'd be willing to go to. And if so, would he have Philly on that list. It will be interesting to see how Weber plays next year and years to come. I'm sure fans from opposing teams are tickled pink that the Predators matched the offer sheet and "screwed" the Flyers at the same time. I give Holmgren credit for having the balls to make the offer sheet and now I hope he doesn't do something stupid and overpay for Bobby Ryan because the Rangers got Nash.

Make offer sheet to P.K. Subban or get Ryan or Doane if the price isn't too high. If neither works, we have money for the next offseason. I was mad at Nashville and still am, but with this stubborn move, I think they hurt themselves.

Well, Holmgren really needs to step back and breath easy at this point. Nash on the Rangers can be nuetralized. It just won't be easy. He should go after Doan and stay away from Ryan. What good is it if we lose 2-3 good players to get one really good player. Homer would still have to plug more holes just to replace whats lost in getting Ryan.

And we are bit more thin in offence than most would like to admit... I know, we were 3rd last year in offence but we lost Jagr and JVR, Feds isn't going to make up for that and we have to worry getting/not losing Voracek to RFA market plus Hartnell will have a tough time equalling that output again.

D could be a problem also. Grossmann with knee issues, Mez with back issues and Timmo just plain old and breaking down. Throw in Schenn with a big ? mark.

Cetainly ain't hitting the panic button but could be a bit of a rough year...

Make offer sheet to P.K. Subban or get Ryan or Doane if the price isn't too high. If neither works, we have money for the next offseason. I was mad at Nashville and still am, but with this stubborn move, I think they hurt themselves.

I think Nashville just screwed up more than could possibly realize at this moment. Weber made it pretty clear he wanted out. They just signed a 27 million 1 year rental....

• Like 1

I think Nashville just screwed up more than could possibly realize at this moment. Weber made it pretty clear he wanted out. They just signed a 27 million 1 year rental....

The flip side of that is that Weber is committed to Nashville for the rest of his career and if the team doesn't want to deal him, they don't have to.

If he plays like crap and whines and pouts, he lessens his value and becomes a $7.8M malcontent. Who wants that?

It cuts both ways. Yes, one side may be sharper.

Not sure which one. The one that can afford to pay $27M in a year or the guy who may have just ensured he never wins a Stanley Cup if he plays it wrong?

He just tried a power play and lost. Not sure another power play has quite the same effect.

Which is the point of

Weber had to know this was a real possibility (being tied to Nashville for 14 years) when he signed the offer sheet.

If he didn't, he was only fooling himself into believing what he wanted to believe instead of looking at the bigger picture.

i'm sure he'll be a professional and play it out. and i'm sure he'll play well. i'm just not sure if it's a prudent move on Preds ownership's part. time will tell, though. but, if this move hamstrings their budget and they can't surround weber and rinne with any other talent, then it's not very prudent.

if the season is cancelled, then it could be a disastrous move for them.

The Preds get 1 more year out of Weber and then he'll get himself traded. Just guessing ...

You mean "wishful thinking". Unless Weber demands to be traded he is a Pred for life. There is no way the Preds let him go early in this ridiculously front loaded contract. Why would the Preds let him go after paying off over 25% of their 14 year investment in the first year? If they did let him go, the price tag would be very, very high.

You mean "wishful thinking". Unless Weber demands to be traded he is a Pred for life. There is no way the Preds let him go early in this ridiculously front loaded contract. Why would the Preds let him go after paying off over 25% of their 14 year investment in the first year? If they did let him go, the price tag would be very, very high.

for better or worse, they've just locked up the best D man's best years. for Weber's sake, you'd hope they can give him a supporting cast.

@orange_crush I was just looking at available RFA's to offer sheet....Carlson would be my pick. A mid level offer that does not cost 4 first rounders....or, P.K Subban. If offense is needed, try Kane in Winnipeg. They just offered him under 5 mill a year for 7 years....

I hate Subban. Regardless of how good he might be, the guy is a punk.

• Like 3

@FLYERS67

He has to be with NSH for this season...he cannot be traded anywhere. After next year..yes he can be move....would NSH consider a trade with philly..yeah but it would be a steep price. The time to have gotten him was now....... And no I don't think they would entertain any offers from Homer...

With our luck, the Rangers will somehow figure a way to land him next season......