Flyers Talking Trade with the Canadiens?

Guest Digityman

I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes a LOT of sense. And in fact the long snapper is also officially called a "centre" (or "center" as we say in America) if I'm not mistaken. They're almost the same thing...

Ha, you yanks sure have a funny way of talking!

@Podein25

Long live the king or all things hockey and logic.... er, I mean Kings.... What do you call a king with multiple personalities? We? King George and I? Ahhh fak it.

Man I am not even conversing with him, nor have I read his drivel in nearly a month, and my brain hurts.....

$1M in cap space immediately and both are UFAs at the end of the year. That's about it.

I think I was pretty clear I wouldn't want Gill prior to that post, but I was searching in the dark for some sort of rationale.

So "IF" they "had" to move someone to get Gill... Which they don't.

Thus - "but with Carle taking up minutes and elevating play - why bother? "

If I'm moving Carle it's at the trade deadline. Defencemen are valuable assets at that time of year, and I think Carle brings more than Gill in a trade.

Who knows who or what is on the table.

But, Gill's value to Montreal has diminished somewhat since he's no longer the one and only partner for Subban. And, Flyers have a history of trading for cheap replacements to plug anticipated holes. Pronger may be out and although Gill is not nearly as good, he does have a veteran's presence.

I dunno, and I don't like to speculate, but I really wouldn't be suprised to see Gill coming here.

And, if he does, that reveals the extent of Pronger's injuries.

I have the unfortunate experience of watching a decent amount of Habs games, and Gill is a defensive liability. He plays with an edge, can clear the crease, and brings a veteran presence in the lockerroom, but a defensive dynamo he's not.

Well it would please the Carle haters! That's something. They won't ever again have to wake up to see his name on the boxscore read 2A, 2P, +3

lol, thats about all this rumor would accomplish.

I see no reason what so ever to make a defensive trade with Montreal.

@Digityman-

No offense, but that might be one of the most idiotic blogs I have read. Hal Gil is a 36 y/o pilon that has been a combined -24 over 2 + seasons with Montreal. Campoli is out INDEFINITELY with and injury(months, not weeks). Why in the world would Montreal move Kaberle whom they just acquired to try and jump start their anemic power play?? Add to that, why would the highest scoring team in the league (philadelphia) be looking for a d-man like Kaberle (whom they could have acquired directly from Carolina). Then of course there is the fact that Montreal is HURTING for d-men with both Campoli and Markhov on the shelf. Lastly, the author never mentions who the Flyers would get to take Hartnells spot as the second leading scorer on the team and an astounding +18???

That article should be called a boggle not a blog because that is exactly what it did to my mind in reading it.

And no way I am moving Carle for Gill. What would this trade gain exactly?

Despite all the bashing that Carle gets here, he is actually having a pretty decent year (contract year and all that). With pronger being out, he and Coburn have been picking up more minutes (they regularly are alternating 23-25 minutes a night instead of dumping those minutes on the not so spry Kimmo).

Gill is a good idea, but would Habs give him up?

Why is a gil a good idea?? Maybe 3-4 years ago he was a good idea. But not the 36 turn style that he is now. People bemoan Carle on here (who is actually playing pretty well right now). Gil would get eaten alive. Think poor mans Rathje (sans injury).

I never thought of that, but now that you mention it, it makes a LOT of sense. And in fact the long snapper is also officially called a "centre" (or "center" as we say in America) if I'm not mistaken. They're almost the same thing...

What about short snaps? Does a centre in hockey take short snaps too??

I would argue that Markhov does, but he is made of glass now and his cap hit is higher than Prongers.

The Markov of two years ago? Yes.

The Markov who missed most of last season and hasn't played this season because of his knee? Not so much.

i think the idea of Kaberle is crazy as bat sh!t. Montreal just traded for him and now they might turn around and trade him to the Flyers? That's just absurd. On top pf that, at some point you have to stop with the contract talk and focus on the on ice perfromance. Why would the Flyers trade away Hartnell? He's playing great and is a key part of a team in first place. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If you want to make a trade, male one that will make the team even better than they are now. Move Bobrovsky and another younger player to secure a needed piece