U.S. Thanksgiving

brelic

@brelic

Thank you kind sir.

Enjoy your Thursday... :)

Mine's not nearly as exciting. My buddy just married a girl from PA, and flew down on Wednesday... at first I was like "what?", but now I understand why he flew there mid-week!

I'm gonna have to visit him when the Flyers are back on the ice! Free accommodations.

Serious question: Do you guys make a sweet potato casserole slathered with Fluff on top??? I'd never heard of that in my life until I read an article in the WSJ about it yesterday. (The WSJ site seems down at the moment... I'll post a link when I can get back to it).

So... what it is it like?

If you like sweet...and I do mean sweet, they are actually pretty good. My grandmother used to make them that way. She called them Candied Yams. They were drowned in butter and Brown sugar then topped with marshmallow fluff. I always thought of it as a desert.

• Like 1

If you like sweet...and I do mean sweet, they are actually pretty good. My grandmother used to make them that way. She called them Candied Yams. They were drowned in butter and Brown sugar then topped with marshmallow fluff. I always thought of it as a desert.

Yeah, it sounds like it would be pretty sweet!!

Thanks for the info rod!

I just realized it was your Thanksgiving today when the stock markets didn't open ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to our American neighbours!

I am in southeast asia and unfortunately could not find anyplace for a good turkey. So we ate sushi instead that I made (fish here is very cheap). But thanks for the wishes (being half american and half canadian).

Took a vacation day to watch the football festivities today. I actually celebrate both Thanksgivings, but consider the American one the "real" one.

Interesting on the "real one" part. I think Thanksgiving in US is much bigger than the Canadian one. I consider it the top two or the US holidays (Christmas of course being number 1).

Took a vacation day to watch the football festivities today. I actually celebrate both Thanksgivings, but consider the American one the "real" one....lol. Have a great day to all our American posters!

What's up Jammer! Hope all is well...

Sort of off-topic... But from the "vacation" day, I take it that your lay-off was short-lived. Because of my crazy schedule, I wasn't visiting the site regularly over the last few months... You may have posted that you were back at work a while ago. If so, that sure is a great news. If that's the case, belated congratulations of course!

@Vanflyer I get the same feeling Van, it's a much bigger deal in the USA than Canada. Just my opinion, but I always felt Canada copied the States in regards to Thanksgiving. Everyone knows the Pilgrims and their wanting to give thanks, but you hear no such stories from Canada, kinda sounds like they liked the principal and switched the dates up.....all conjecture on my part though.

I consider it the top two

We went to my daughter's. My infant great-grandchildren arrived kind of cranky and tired. The two year-old refused to sit in his high chair. So, I picked him up, took him into another room and hugged him. He hugged me back. Stood there for an half hour or so, holding tight to my little pal.

Highlight of my holiday.

@Vanflyer I get the same feeling Van, it's a much bigger deal in the USA than Canada. Just my opinion, but I always felt Canada copied the States in regards to Thanksgiving. Everyone knows the Pilgrims and their wanting to give thanks, but you hear no such stories from Canada, kinda sounds like they liked the principal and switched the dates up.....all conjecture on my part though.

I agree on all parts. Truthfully- having spent half my life in the states, Thanksgiving is my favorite- beyond Christmas and it is huge in the States (much larger than Canada's Thanksgiving- which as you stated seemed a knock off of the American Thanksgiving with limited tradition to prop it up). What I like about Thanksgiving is that it seems so much more communal than Christmas (ie. Christmas has family obligations where-as Thanksgiving can involve friends easily, and makes it more fun). For me, Christmas seems much more stressful and obligatory where-as Thanksgiving is just to have fun with Family / Friends, watch some sports, play games in the yard and eat some good food (and of course be thankful that you can do all those things on the backs of the indians).

Edited by Vanflyer

We went to my daughter's. My infant great-grandchildren arrived kind of cranky and tired. The two year-old refused to sit in his high chair. So, I picked him up, took him into another room and hugged him. He hugged me back. Stood there for an half hour or so, holding tight to my little pal.

Highlight of my holiday.

Holidays are interesting with the kids. I think sometimes they get stressed at the "hype" and change of natural environment. Great-grandchild!!! Wow!! Kids are the best- because you can not fake your love, they know right away. All you need to know about any adults disposition is to watch them with a kid. Great that your great-grandson has a wonderful great grand-father!

@jammer2

Thanksgiving is a celebration of a bountiful harvest, pre-grocery store days. Canada celebrates before the US because we're farther north, therefore an earlier harvest season.

And the US definately hypes it up way more than Canada. I'm fine with that. I still get together with family and eat too much turkey.

Highlight of my holiday.

More kids need blocker-like grampas.

• Like 1