When does a trade for another D'Man happen?

activestick

Here's a question, do the Flyers save a spot for the Ghost , he played well for world jr champion team usa ... does Homer and co kick the tires there ?

Who does Ghost play in front of?

I honestly don't expect too too many youngsters to make the roster in the 48-game (50, whatever) season - if any at all.

• Like 1

@radoran

i thinking of saving a spot in camp, not a roster spot....

though to read some of the posts here , if he puts on some weight he'd be our #2 with a bullet... :rolleyes:

I'd bring him to camp - no point in not - I just don't expect him to make the team given the 1-5 that are already there and the commitments to Lilja (35+) and Gervais (Talbot's BFF).

I think that when healthy our defense will be more than OK. I think Schenn will be a very good acquisition for us. He was doing just fine in Toronto until they started trying to make him into something he isn't, a puck carrying guy.

My concern for the Flyers D was always too many puck carryers and not enough bang back there. Adding Schenn to Gross gives us two thumpers who can help keep the porch clear. That alone should result in Bryz's GAA dropping as how many times were guys camped out and chopping away at loose pucks.

My concern now is that we need to be a little more mobile back there as I am not sold on Coburn filling that role.

I think we go with what we have (if healthy) and see how things shake out. We lose Kimo's contract after this season and could use that $6 million to acquire a top 4 guy who is mobile, can make good outlet passes and help on the power play.

• Like 1

I take offense to the way you characterize this. He's just getting old, like the rest of us! To wit:

1. Prove that he is "soft" What a ridiculous statement!
  2. He's slowing down - you don't say. The question is: is he effective or not, can he get the job done
  3. Gets more injuries. Again, age and punishment of the body. He simply needs to play less hard minutes, which is a coaching issue mainly.

The question is: is he effective or not, can he get the job done. You'd kill for a guy like Timonen on your team if you wanted to make a run and win it all. The guy competes every shift and is easily one of the smarter veteran D-men out there. Maybe not Lidstom-elite quality, but close enough.

Actually I don't want him. Maybe as a number five guy, or four if Martin doesn't shake his funk. I loved (shhh don't tell anyone) Timonen in his prime. He's soft in that he doesn't hit well, when he does try he gets flattened or hurt, and is now more than ever a positional d-man. He's been great because he's hockey smart and knows when to be where. Now his legs won't support that like they used to and it's showing. And you agreed with my other two points so no point reinforcing them.

I honestly like seeing Timo get on the ice against my boys now. He's a strength to your squad in his wisdom and leadership, but a weakness in performance these days.

Sorry guys... Like I said I'm a kinda fan of his but that's just how I see it without the allegiance his past brings most of you.

Here's a question, do the Flyers save a spot for the Ghost , he played well for world jr champion team usa ... does Homer and co kick the tires there ?

I watched him last night playing for Union College. He didn't really stand out there in that game anyway. If that's his average game, he's gonna need some time I think.

Actually I don't want him. Maybe as a number five guy, or four if Martin doesn't shake his funk. I loved (shhh don't tell anyone) Timonen in his prime. He's soft in that he doesn't hit well, when he does try he gets flattened or hurt, and is now more than ever a positional d-man. He's been great because he's hockey smart and knows when to be where. Now his legs won't support that like they used to and it's showing. And you agreed with my other two points so no point reinforcing them.

I honestly like seeing Timo get on the ice against my boys now. He's a strength to your squad in his wisdom and leadership, but a weakness in performance these days.

Sorry guys... Like I said I'm a kinda fan of his but that's just how I see it without the allegiance his past brings most of you.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but since we've had this identical conversation before, and since I know you're a good sport:

You're completely full of crap on Timonen

In other words: wrong.

• Like 1

@Podein25

I saw limited minutes of the World Jr's ... (i was pretty far down coach Wife's bench after blowing the Christmas budget )but what I saw I liked, the young man looked really young and skinny. But....Brian Rafalski was small.

Timmo isnt exactly Chara like either

Timmo isnt exactly Chara like either

Right there's room for all kinds, I think as our d-corps stands right now ,we're good with big physical guys, i think schenn will bring the lumber, grossmann brings the lumber, coburn can too, we just need to( as pods says) poke him with a sharp stick monthly, what we lost was a guy that will win races to the corner, split a trap/forcheck with his smarts and or wheels. (carle & pronger) and from what i saw and what guys are saying ghost could be the new guy. he was good for a good team usa squad. which @polair922 is probably the best way to judge his game rather than a regular season ncaa game, where there are wide gaps in ability.

I'd bring him to camp - no point in not - I just don't expect him to make the team given the 1-5 that are already there and the commitments to Lilja (35+) and Gervais (Talbot's BFF).

I don't see the point to bringing him to camp. Let him finish out his season at Union College (and education) and then if you want to have a look see, bring him into a couple of practices. I personally think 165 lbs in a NHL d-spot is too small.

I don't see the point to bringing him to camp. Let him finish out his season at Union College (and education) and then if you want to have a look see, bring him into a couple of practices. I personally think 165 lbs in a NHL d-spot is too small.

Just the experience of being in a professional setting with professional players.

I think, for example, Voracek benefitted tremendously from being in a professional setting with professional players instead of Columbus ;-)

Just the experience of being in a professional setting with professional players.

I guess for me, he can wait until his college season is done and join the phantoms (though that is not a winning environment lately- especially with the departure of Schenn and Coots). Terry Murray is very good with kids and that to me would benefit him more in having an opportunity to have a more steady ice time while learning the pro ropes. Invite him to the rookie camp and training camp next summer.