2013 Bryzgalov Evaluation Thread (Buyout or no)

Digityman

Flyers vs Penguins - 1/19/13 - Goal #1

Flyers vs Penguins - 1/19/13 - Goal #2

Goal # 1 was a deflection. Nothing he could do about it.

Goal #2 from the top of the circles. 75% of the time a star NHL goalie saves that.

Result - Bryz didn't lose the game and played average.

Agree?

View Game #2 Videos

• Like 1

I agree, one thing I notice so far anyway is, that he is standing up a bit more, his awareness is better and he seems more fluid in his laeral movement. Lets give him the season and see what he does, if he is just decent,then we can get a decent goalie for much less in the off season.

Result - Bryz didn't lose the game and played average.

and there it is. i agree, he didn't lose the game and played average. same thing this afternoon. average doesn't justify the $5.5mil cap hit, and average should not lockdown the #1 job, though.

absolutely buy him out this summer. it may be that he can maintain average play, but the impact of his contract can only be balanced by difference-making goaltending, and that is not he. average does not cut it. the opportunity to get out from under that deal without lasting effect can not be passed up.

• Like 1

Game # 2 - Sabres vs Flyers - 1/20/2013

Goal #1

One time from the top of the slot. Bryz was not screened.

Average at best on this one

Goal #2

Vanek just goes right around him.

Either Bryz thought he was going to shoot or he was just bad positionally on this.

It is a breakaway so I would say he was average on this as well.

Goal #3

Top of the circles again. 3 of 6 goals have been from this area so far (2 games)

Goal #4

Vanek again on breakaway. Bryz makes a good first save. Unfortunate on the bounce.

He did over play it a little and was a little slow coming back. But all in all, it was a good first save and 50/50 after that.

(#5 was ENG)

Game #2 Result - Average again. Nothing special.

View Game #1 Goals Against

View Game #3 Goals Against

@Digityman

This thread is rather unfair. How can this be a true evaluation with only negative data?

Not that I am going to take any time to post up video for every save Bryz makes, or timely saves that keep the Flyers in each game he plays, but in all fairness Bryz was not the reason the Flyers lost game 1 or game 2.

• Like 4

@Digityman

This thread is rather unfair. How can this be a true evaluation with only negative data?

Not that I am going to take any time to post up video for every save Bryz makes, or timely saves that keep the Flyers in each game he plays, but in all fairness Bryz was not the reason the Flyers lost game 1 or game 2.

Agreed. His stats will be more important than videos of the goals he gave up.

@Digityman

This thread is rather unfair. How can this a true evaluation with only negative data?

It maybe unfair but Bryzgalov is being paid to be an elite goalie which he isn't. As Aziz pointed out earlier, Holmgren has to seriously think that unless Bryzgalov is going to be the difference maker in net then he has to buy him out this coming summer and look for other options. Despite what Snider said about this team is going to win the cup this year, I think it's wishful thinking on his part. If they're out of the playoff hunt at the deadline then Holmgren has a chance to unload some vets and reload. Now I'm not saying this season is over after 2 games but Bryzgalov has a 48 game audition to prove that he is a difference maker or elite goalie otherwise cut him loose.

• Like 1

It maybe unfair but Bryzgalov is being paid to be an elite goalie which he isn't. As Aziz pointed out earlier, Holmgren has to seriously think that unless Bryzgalov is going to be the difference maker in net then he has to buy him out this coming summer and look for other options. Despite what Snider said about this team is going to win the cup this year, I think it's wishful thinking on his part. If they're out of the playoff hunt at the deadline then Holmgren has a chance to unload some vets and reload. Now I'm not saying this season is over after 2 games but Bryzgalov has a 48 game audition to prove that he is a difference maker or elite goalie otherwise cut him loose.

Lundquist is also 0 -2....just saying. One of the main reasons Bryz is over paid is because the Flyers organization is willing to spend every year to the max cap, not because he is an elite goalie. I think the Flyers organization will judge his performance based upon his ability to keep his team in a position to win games with the some outstanding performances and occasional dud games. Of course though they would rather see more outstanding performances throughout the season, but no one will be expecting an outstanding performance every game. The other consideration to keeping Bryz or not is based upon how management projects Bryz will continue to play over the course of the contract. I do agree he is being evaluated. However let's just look at the whole performance not just critiquing his mistakes.

And as far as Snider goes....he says his team can win the cup every year. ^_^

• Like 1

and there it is. i agree, he didn't lose the game and played average. same thing this afternoon. average doesn't justify the $5.5mil cap hit, and average should not lockdown the #1 job, though.

absolutely buy him out this summer. it may be that he can maintain average play, but the impact of his contract can only be balanced by difference-making goaltending, and that is not he. average does not cut it. the opportunity to get out from under that deal without lasting effect can not be passed up.

And then there is our old friend bobrosky winning in nashville in a shoot out (6 rounds no less) and posting a .941 save percentage.

• Like 1

I admit I didn't yell at Bryz or shake my head at any of the goals he let it. He's gone 2 games without absolutely sucking, so things are already better than last season. I'm fine with him playing out the season.

On the other hand, he's been outplayed by both goalies at the other end of the rink. He may not have let in bad goals, but he's still let in 6 in 2 games which is too many. We have zero points to show and that's no good. More goals wouldn't hurt (if the refs would allow them). But in the end the guy just isn't worth what he's being paid. And I doubt he's going to get better as the years go on.

Do we have any idea of what goalies would be available this Summer.? Are we thinking trade or Free agent? I don't think there is many goalies that would blow your socks off. I am thinking Bernier on LA would be attainable, but would cost us one of your young guys. What do u guys think?

• Like 1

@hf101

@JackStraw

I think every possible way to look at Bryz is good. He is the next decade of this team if they sign him.

I agree it might not be the most inclusive but it still shows you some information.

A goalies job is to stop the puck. We could show all the saves he makes but isn't that supposed to be what is paid for?

By showing the goals against, it's a good way of knowing if Bryz truly is the best option for the Flyers for the next 9 years.

Do we have any idea of what goalies would be available this Summer.? Are we thinking trade or Free agent? I don't think there is many goalies that would blow your socks off. I am thinking Bernier on LA would be attainable, but would cost us one of your young guys. What do u guys think?

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

Backstrom out of Minneapolis may be available pending Harding's status.

Jimmy Howard?

I think its worth posing the question, with this team D, coach/style of play, and this point in flyers history, 'could any goalie, be successful in the way we are all seeking, for this team?

If the answer is yes, then who?

If no, I think we should spend less $$ on the position.

I feel its somewhere inbetween, and that a balance needs to be found where the goalie is more supported. And unless Bryz is a vezina candidate, you buy him out, the contract is too long for anyone not named Giroux, and if we are not going to play better around the goalie, we should spend much of that cash on someone who is great at winning faceoffs, which we haven't had since Primeau and Brindy.

One of the main reasons Bryz is over paid is because the Flyers organization is willing to spend every year to the max cap, not because he is an elite goalie. I think the Flyers organization will judge his performance based upon his ability to keep his team in a position to win games with the some outstanding performances and occasional dud games.

He's overpaid because he was supposed to be the guy who made a difference, made the stops he was supposed to and a bunch he wasn't. The first $3 mil of his cap hit are for the former, the last $2.5 mil for the latter. The latter has been and will continue to go unearned. Throw in the NMC and you need to get out from under the deal if you can. Maybe with no penalty free buyout available you stick it out... But given the chance for a do over.......

It isn't about dwelling on his mistakes, it's about a functional but pedestrian effort not being enough. Not enough to justify the contact and not enough for a team aspiring to be one of the elite few.

I doubt Backstrom is going anywhere given Harding's recent diagnosis..which from a selfish hockey standpoint stinks..I would have like the Flyers to take a run at him as well.

One thing I've noticed with Bryz, and it might have hurt him a bit on the 2nd Pens goal and also one of the Buffalo goals(forget which one), is he is still playing very deep in the net. He doesn't come out and challenge the shot. Maybe that's the way Reese wants him to play, or it's a Russian style thing...but personally, I don't think he's quick enough to play deep and allow his reflexes to take over. Lundquist can get away with that..not him.

However, IMO...they did not lose those games because of goaltending, if anything, he kept them in each game at times.

Did I really just type that?????

he is still playing very deep in the net. He doesn't come out and challenge the shot. Maybe that's the way Reese wants him to play, or it's a Russian style thing...but personally, I don't think he's quick enough to play deep and allow his reflexes to take over

problem is he doesn't skate well enough to take that extra step out. Opposing weak nesses: not quick enough to play deep and not mobile enough to challenge.

Agreed. He does not come out way to challenge the shooter and cut off the net. Again, I'm not saying that Bryz lost the first two games for the Flyers. In fact he made some nice saves to keep them in it. But did he earn his $5m a year contract? No.

That's what we are evaluating. That's what Snider is evaluating.

But did he earn his $5m a year contract? No.

That's what we are evaluating. That's what Snider is evaluating.

I really don't think buying Bryz out is about the money. To the best of my knowledge Snider has always been willing to pay key members of the Flyers more than adequate pay. Most of the time he overpays, because he can. There are 11 goalies in the league right now that make 5M or more.

I agree that the evaluation of Bryz is based upon the question -- Is Bryz the answer for the Flyers Goaltending for the next "7" years following this season? Bryz will be in his late 30's and I believe there won't be a means of dumping his cap hit in Europe....as per the real and most likely "plan" at the time of his signing.

We have No quality goaltending in the Flyers organization. NONE Maybe there is still hope for Stolarz in a few years, but still.....the cupboard is empty.

Smith and Howard are FAs this summer, but I fully expect both players to sign with their respective current organizations prior to Free Agency. Backstrom is 34 will probably re sign in MN, especially if that team makes a run in the playoffs. Maybe Mason out of Columbus is looking for a new start on another team, but unless they are going to trade for one, FA pickings next summer are slim.

It is going to be a tough decision and if Bryz takes this team several rounds into the playoffs later this spring.....I doubt the Flyers will buy him out.

Smith and Howard are FAs this summer, but I fully expect both players to sign with their respective current organizations prior to Free Agency. Backstrom is 34 will probably re sign in MN, especially if that team makes a run in the playoffs. Maybe Mason out of Columbus is looking for a new start on another team, but unless they are going to trade for one, FA pickings next summer are slim.

It is going to be a tough decision and if Bryz takes this team several rounds into the playoffs later this spring.....I doubt the Flyers will buy him out.

I agree there aren't many options the FA route but that doesn't mean you stay locked into this guy for 7 years.

I think he is bought out at least just based on not trusting he can keep his head for 7 years.

....And the Flyers return year after year to the keeper karousel until the next big splash. (Draft, FA...)

He's overpaid because he was supposed to be the guy who made a difference, made the stops he was supposed to and a bunch he wasn't. The first $3 mil of his cap hit are for the former, the last $2.5 mil for the latter. The latter has been and will continue to go unearned.

There are 7 goalies whose cap hit is greater than Bryz, only one of them to the best of my knowledge besides Bryz has won a Stanley Cup. The 2.5M extra is more about payment for that cup win. All he has to do is compete at a level that puts the team in a position to win. And of course have a few great outings along the way.

I'm not saying that keeping him is the right or best decision in the long run, and it may be unpopular, but if Bryz plays as well as he has the last two games over the course of this season, I don't see the Flyers buying him out. It was their intention when they traded Bob to Columbus that Bryz was their guy for the long haul. :(

I think he is bought out at least just based on not trusting he can keep his head for 7 years.

....And the Flyers return year after year to the keeper karousel until the next big splash. (Draft, FA...)

I wish you were right, but I think Bryz knows what it is he needs to do to keep his job in Philly.

While we're evaluating our starting goalie, did anyone see that Bob got his first win in his first start in Columbus? It was a nice game. Beat Nashville in a shoot out, stopping 5 out of 6. He looked sharp. So far tonight against Detroit, he's looking pretty good too. Stopped his first 8 so far, most of which came on an early Detroit powerplay. I wish we would have held on to him longer. I can't even remember who we got for him.