Can Bryz make a big save when needed?

Guest pensuck

I just thought since Pronger was a Flyer and captain they might have asked being former teammates and all.

Snider asked Pronger if he thought it would be overkill to send his private jet to NY to fly Bryz down to Philly. Pronger said "no, he likes planes and rockets and stuff".

• Like 3

I just thought since Pronger was a Flyer and captain they might have asked being former teammates and all.

He was de facto, but not in letter C at the time.

Your points are cogent, well presented, logical and completely irrelevant to how the Flyers conduct business.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

Perfectly understandable thought. Makes perfect sense. One WOULD think this would happen. Like Rad said, it just sadly not relevant when talking about the Flyers' front office.

Actually, in some cases even the Flyers might do that, but in this particular case I think they had their heart set on Bryz and all other opinions be damned.

• Like 1

For those of you giving the Flyers a pass on Emery by claiming they had "no way of knowing..." maybe educate yourself (or remind yourself) what actually happened, specifically the timetable and circumstances of his return to the NHL.

FYI: by the time Anaheim signed him he had proved he was in great shape and ready to play pro hockey again. Not that he should be considered "a lock" for a starting position only that he was physically ready - back to where he was (at least) - to compete for a job playing goal in the NHL.

Emery stunk... He's still nothing special, just playing behind a team on one heck if a run. Trade Bryz for him and you'll be right where you are or even worse off.

Career 2.71 GAA guy with a .905 save %. He was worse in Philly than his career average. And not a stellar playoff performer. Bryzgalov performed better, even last year.

Edited by Polaris922

Actually if watch Emery play now, he has totally changed his game. Not the same goalie as he was for the Flyers. He actually talked about it on Hockey night in Canada a couple weeks ago. His injury forced him to play a different way. From what I have seen he's playing way better now than he did before. Much more sound not as busy in the net and way more calm. I guess we will find out how much he can handle now that Crawford is injured.

@albertaflyer He's had a great start to this year, last I checked, Ray was 7-0 to start the year. That's a fantastic won/loss from your back up....the starter Crawford went down (think he's back soon.....no?) and they did not miss a beat. I just know Ray, if the pressure was on, and he was starting every game night in, night out, his record would fall back closer to .500, I just can't i magine his game chaning *that* much. Short term, yeah I'll buy in, long term....nope, don't see it.

Actually if watch Emery play now, he has totally changed his game. Not the same goalie as he was for the Flyers. He actually talked about it on Hockey night in Canada a couple weeks ago. His injury forced him to play a different way. From what I have seen he's playing way better now than he did before. Much more sound not as busy in the net and way more calm. I guess we will find out how much he can handle now that Crawford is injured.

I think a little maturity has helped him, too.

• Like 1

Short term, yeah I'll buy in, long term....nope, don't see it.

that's valid - I can understand the skepticism. But watching him play this year - I've only seen him twice - he looks incredibly focused and "tight" in his movement - whatever the word is - he doesn't waste a lot of energy scrambling the way he used to. He stands up to face more shots (more than your average butterfly goalie I mean).

I don't know if he'd be successful as a starter but I don't see why not. Forget "his numbers" (they're not HOF numbers, so what?) this guy has incredible fire or "jam" as Lavy would call it, he is as competitive as they come. He is the ANTI-Bryzgalov and that alone makes me want him.

No question Bryzgalov looks about 100% better than he did last year. [edit: can't help but adding that any change would be an improvement over last year!] But if you're talking "short-term, yeah I'll buy in, long term nope... don't see it" I'd apply that to Bryzgalov quicker than I would to Ray Emery.

Edited by canoli

@canoli The part I don't buy is teaching and old dog new tricks. Ray turns 31 in Sept. He's had enough chances to show he capable of starting in the NHL, including a season long audition in the O&B...which was quite forgetable. The fact he has played here before probably puts him at the front of the wagon though, his chances are considerably better than if he was never a Flyer, which is, quite sad.

oh I see where you're coming from now... with me it's the opposite - I don't think his time in the O&B was "forgettable" at all, I enjoyed his game and I was impressed with him generally.

He's had a LOT of success as a starter - I don't know why everyone constantly knocks him like he's some career backup. He played ALL the PO games that year when the Sens lost to the Ducks...as opposed to Bryzgalov who played 4 games in the 1st round.

Well whatever, I'll drop it. Only I wish the Flyers could figure out how to evaluate goaltenders - if no one on the staff can do it then hire someone who can.

including a season long audition in the O&B...which was quite forgetable.

Well, it was only 29 games before he got hurt and he did have 3 shutouts. I was not a huge fan of signing him in the first place, but there's an argument to be made that he was showing he was definitely capable of being a starter. And there's also an argument to be made that he was better than anything in net for the Flyers since (and for awhile before, for that matter).

• Like 1

Well, it was only 29 games before he got hurt and he did have 3 shutouts. I was not a huge fan of signing him in the first place, but there's an argument to be made that he was showing he was definitely capable of being a starter. And there's also an argument to be made that he was better than anything in net for the Flyers since (and for awhile before, for that matter).

And that was transitioning back from the KHL to the NHL.

Well, enough bright hockey minds disagree with my Emery statement, so I'll chalk it up to a faulty memory and move on. ....lol.

Hey I may not be a bright hockey mind, but I've watched some of Emery's time with Chicago... I don't think he was anything special in his early years, and I don't see any reason to change that opinion now. He's playing behind a red hot team that is dominating opponents. He's maybe more relaxed than he used to be, but he's nothing special still.