Who would you have as GM?

Guest Hexy27

This is being talked about in alot of separate threads so I thought it might be good to start a new thread about the topic. I blame Homer for the product that is on the ice and the bare cupboard we have as a prospect pool.

IMO Homer (and the organization) has never taken the cap seriously. They constantly game the rules and the result is we get painted into corners. We overpay players and give them longterm contracts with NTCs. The Flyers give away draft picks like candy and constantly think the next big move will be the difference maker. It hasn't worked so far so how is this going to change?

I think we need a GM with no history with the team. The question is who would that be? I'll be honest in that I don't know. Burke is out there. Do you give him a chance? Someone else?

Hexy27,

I would hire someone with a fresh perspective, who has previous experience as a GM, with a somewhat different philosophy on personnel. The team needs a little bit of a fresh perspective on how to do things outside of the Clarkes and Holmgrens of the world. As much as I liked them as players, it doesn't necessarily translate to being a great GM. I wouldn't want Brian Burke in here, though. He's no better IMO. The problem is Mr. Snider would be more likely to bring in a Ron Hextall from his old-boy network, than take a chance of really shaking things up considerably. Maybe Hexy would be a good hire, but they need somebody who would have the brass ones to stand up to him and say "I'll run it my way, look at my track record, trust me." It might not be received well though. Just like Jeffrey Lurie wants things run a certain way for the Eagles (i.e. Luries is a west coast offense guy). Maybe they can talk Stan Bowman out of Chicago or Ray Shero out of Pittsburgh, lol. Who knows?

I don't think Holmgren is a bad GM per se.

He tried to address the defense this summer by swinging for the fences; however, he struck out.

I am not 100% sold that he wanted Bryzgalov, or to trade Bobrovsky for that matter.

He did let Sbisa go, but in all fairness the Flyers needed a Chara type defender and we had to get out of Lupul's contract. (that was a bad move on him)

Letting Jagr walk was a no brainer, he knew Voracek would probably be an adequate replacement that would play more than 30 games a year at the same cap hit.

The value he got is Carter was amazing. The value he got in Forsberg was amazing, the value he got in Zhitnik was amazing. The value he got in Richards was amazing.

Now for the bad, Lupul should have never gotten the contract he did, the trading of a 1st round pick on Eminger, giving Briere an 8 year contract, not drafting a defensemen with a 1st rounder since Sbisa, not evaluating the worth of Carle, Carcillo for a 2nd and Upshall, Randy Jones lost on re-entry waivers, Gagne for Walker and a 4th, Kris Versteeg, Jody Shelley, Zherdev.

After all that musing around, I would have to say he is not too good, but he could be far worse. With the exception of this season, he makes the team competitive. I won't fully blame him for the D, but this summer he must address it at all costs, or I would say he needs to go.

If he did get replaced, I would lean towards Jim Nill of the Red WIngs. He's been there for 15 years and would look to make the next step. He has been behind arguably one of the most brilliant minds in hockey and would be a fresh addition to the franchise. Finally somebody outside of the good ol' boy network.

Edited by Bertmega
  • Like 2

@Bertmega

I never meant to insinuate that Homer is the worst GM ever. I just don't think he is a good one and not the best GM this organization could use.

I do like some of the names being thrown about in this thread. It gives me something to research (as I have little working knowledge of the GM class out there).

@Hexy27

There are a lot out there that would make great GMs. I think Holmgren's successor needs to be fresh blood that can give an outside perspective. I really am high up on Nill, but I fear his loyalty is too strong with the Ilitch family to go any where.

Here is a little bio on Nill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Nill

If Yave64 is lurking around, I would love his input on Nill.

Aside from an awesome Mustache, he has a superior hockey resume.

Why not just hire a new D scout? Homer appears to be money at drafting forwards, and I would hate to lose that without pursuing other avenues first.

The cupboards are bare because the guys are in the NHL...

The cupboards are bare because the guys are in the NHL...

This is only a partial truth. You still need a steady stream of prospects. We need to address several areas of the game: defense, goal tending (starting and backup) and special teams. How much of that gets done via the draft or via trades? We can't keep trading away picks so likely it will be some of our young core that has to be sacrificed.

I say the cupboard is bare because we really don't have anything anyone wants in the way of junior and minor league prospects besides Laughton. We let Sestito go for nothing (I'm still wondering what Homer was thinking). Would we be in this situation if someone with a different mentality was GM?

Homer is a great talent evaluator, which certainly plays a part in being a GM. The other part is the finances and futures (ala draft picks). I find Homer significantly lacking in the latter.

This is being talked about in alot of separate threads so I thought it might be good to start a new thread about the topic. I blame Homer for the product that is on the ice and the bare cupboard we have as a prospect pool.

IMO Homer (and the organization) has never taken the cap seriously. They constantly game the rules and the result is we get painted into corners. We overpay players and give them longterm contracts with NTCs. The Flyers give away draft picks like candy and constantly think the next big move will be the difference maker. It hasn't worked so far so how is this going to change?

I think we need a GM with no history with the team. The question is who would that be? I'll be honest in that I don't know. Burke is out there. Do you give him a chance? Someone else?

I'll go in a different direction.....

...Dale Tallon...he built the dominate Hawks club...

...but if i had to pick a guy who played for the Orange and Black....Ron Hextall!!! :D

...but if i had to pick a guy who played for the Orange and Black....Ron Hextall!!! :D

I obviously love Hextall but I have really want someone with no connections to the Flyers. A fresh perspective would be ideal but should that not be possible...Ron Hextall for GM! ;-)

I obviously love Hextall but I have really want someone with no connections to the Flyers. A fresh perspective would be ideal but should that not be possible...Ron Hextall for GM! ;-)

Dale Tallon then...he built Chicago and then got axed before he got to see it blossom...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 2

How about Dave Poile from Nashville...bring in Trotz too. Seriously, if the guy can do what he's done with a far lower budget, think about what Comcast bucks would do. And his dad was our GM...

Best,

Howie

• Like 2

@OccamsRazor I think Tallon would make a great GM. He basically built Chicago from the gound up, made the one big bone head move (forgot to put in the paperwork on potenail RFA's, making them UFA's or something to that effect, anyways it cost the Hawks about 4 mill extra in salary and cap hit...not good) and got the axe for it. I don't see him doing that again....ha ha. I do think he's an excellent judge of talent, so he'd be high on my list of potential GM's should Homer ever get the axe. He actually adds good veteran D-men also, imagine that...lol.

Dale Tallon then...he built Chicago and then got axed before he got to see it blossom...

Dale Tallon is also building a nice team in FLA. I would love to see him in Philly if he were available.

Burke. In a heartbeat.

Forgot his time in Toronto (although it looks like they are on the cusp of being good again), he built a Cup-winner in Anaheim. And he did that getting them to play Flyers-type hockey. He is hands-down the guy I'd want running this team.

And I'm pretty sure he started out his NHL career being drafted by the Flyers, so there's that.

@OccamsRazor I think Tallon would make a great GM. He basically built Chicago from the gound up, made the one big bone head move (forgot to put in the paperwork on potenail RFA's, making them UFA's or something to that effect, anyways it cost the Hawks about 4 mill extra in salary and cap hit...not good) and got the axe for it. I don't see him doing that again....ha ha. I do think he's an excellent judge of talent, so he'd be high on my list of potential GM's should Homer ever get the axe. He actually adds good veteran D-men also, imagine that...lol.

Oh i thought you were going to say the move drafting Leighton...hahaha oh well... :ph34r:

If Clarke had resigned sooner would Dean Lombardi have been an option? He was your Western Conference scout from 2003 unitl April 2006 when the Kings hired him as GM. Clarke resigned early in the 2006-07 season.

I'll throw out another name for you....Jim Benning. Assisant GM for the Bruins. He's not even 50 yet but he's been on the player management side now for 20 years.

@AndyS Burke.....oh GOOD GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Never, ever....please NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I don't think I would watch the team for the entire Burke tenure....could not stomach it....I'd take Lindy Ruff as a GM before him, and I HATE Lindy!!!