Flyers in on Vanek?

brelic

Bwahahahahhaahahahaha!

@DaveDanisHockey Report: Flyers Have Inquired About Vanek http://bit.ly/16tDhhW #Sabres

From the link:

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has kicked the tires on Anaheim Ducks sniper Bobby Ryan, Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle, Dallas Stars right wing Jaromir Jagr and Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek.

ONE of the FOUR players is a defenseman. Yet we have three regular defensemen injured, and defense has been our issue all year. C'mon, say it Paul: DEFENSE.

I think the idea is to acquire them all, figure out how to pay for them later, and let them fight to see which forward can completely alter his game and become the best puck moving defenseman of the bunch.

either Homer took one too many pucks to the head over the years and it's finally taking it's toll, or he has something up his sleeve for the Defense. I can't figure out what for the life of me.

Does he assume that some of the bigger deals on Defense are going to get bought out this summer under the new CBA allowances?

I honestly can't figure out what he's thinking.

DEFENSE.

is homer nuts? he kicked the tires on yandle why? this team needs defense, does he even watch games or is he just plain stupid? i hope snider is smart enough that homer is the problem and he's an idiot.

'cause Yandle plays defense is 25 this year and is a minute eating, smooth skating, puck moving player that this team needs.

I have no idea why he's in on Vanek unless he want to be able to deal players from outside his core group to land a defensman ... i don't know the guy is a mystery wrapped in a riddle surrounded by enigma

has anyone heard even an eklund-type of rumor that the Coyotes would trade Yandle? They have him signed for the next 4 years at a very reasonable $5.25mil cap hit, he's one of their best, if not their best players...I guess it's fine to dream but I haven't heard anything about Yandle going anywhere.

• Like 1

'cause Yandle plays defense is 25 this year and is a minute eating, smooth skating, puck moving player that this team needs.

I have no idea why he's in on Vanek unless he want to be able to deal players from outside his core group to land a defensman ... i don't know the guy is a mystery wrapped in a riddle surrounded by enigma

I think you meant

i don't know the guy is a misery wrapped in a meddle surrounded by an enema

• Like 1

has anyone heard even an eklund-type of rumor that the Coyotes would trade Yandle? They have him signed for the next 4 years at a very reasonable $5.25mil cap hit, he's one of their best, if not their best players...I guess it's fine to dream but I haven't heard anything about Yandle going anywhere.

I think everyone talks about Yandle due to the pending new management group in Phoenix. Who ever ends this 4-5 year faisco, they will be just barely be in the position to purchase the team. The last 2 ownership groups finacials fell apart before they could purchase the team, and this new group is in the same boat. So, when you have a poor ownership group, redundant contracts are targeted. Yeah, Yandle's contract is not outrageous, but the presence of Oliver Ekman-Larson and to a lesser extendt the youngster Runblad make Yandles skill set a bit redundant. No contender would ever think of trading a guy like Yandles, but his new ownership might consder it.

I think everyone talks about Yandle due to the pending new management group in Phoenix. Who ever ends this 4-5 year faisco, they will be just barely be in the position to purchase the team. The last 2 ownership groups finacials fell apart before they could purchase the team, and this new group is in the same boat. So, when you have a poor ownership group, redundant contracts are targeted. Yeah, Yandle's contract is not outrageous, but the presence of Oliver Ekman-Larson and to a lesser extendt the youngster Runblad make Yandles skill set a bit redundant. No contender would ever think of trading a guy like Yandles, but his new ownership might consder it.

Serious question: how come I never really hear any good things about Yandle? The only time I really hear his name is in trade rumours. Is he a defensive liability? Is he one-dimensional? I just find it odd that his name never comes up as a guy that really embodies a top pairing defenseman.

In that regard, what about seeing if we can pry Runblad or OEL instead?

Serious question: how come I never really hear any good things about Yandle? The only time I really hear his name is in trade rumours. Is he a defensive liability? Is he one-dimensional? I just find it odd that his name never comes up as a guy that really embodies a top pairing defenseman.

Because he's in freaking Phoenix? :)

He's a reliable 10g/40p defenseman who hasn't been a negative +/- in four seasons. 9 points, +5 in 16 playoff games last year.

@brelic "In that regard, what about seeing if we can pry Runblad or OEL instead?"

I think OEL is untouchable. He's younger than Yandle with more upside. Runblad is a nice prospect but unproven....but would be a cheaper option than Yandle. I think Yandle is fine defensively, just the new Yotes mangaement group may not be able to afford both Yandle and OEL when the offense is in shambles. Coots would be a perfect fit there, they are starved for a top center....geez, after dealing Turris for Runblad, there centers are Hanzel, Vermette, Chipchura, Boyd Gordon and a few other scrubs....not exactly striking fear on opposing defenses...ha ha.

Found the full article from my original post. http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi130402.html

It has a lot more info and context the the first little blurb. It says specifically that the Flyers are willing to part with Couturier, which I don't remember hearing officially before. That's new.

It would be a waste to use him on acquiring Vanek. But what if Myers is the real target?

I think Buffalo figured they didn't need him tonight to smack the pens around.

You'd be right. Rough night in net for Vokoun and the Pens offense never seemed to be itself tonight. The few spots it was Miller made big saves. Glad I sent my mother with my son and stayed home for this one!

typical Flyer move

show no patience.

trade valuable picks and young players and prospects for a star player who already peaked

im done with this team

they're like the raiders of the NFL

past glory but now no clue, no plan, just winging everything from season to season

@ The Al Davis and Ed Snider comparisons are fairly accurate....both meddling old fools, although Al is passed on, so not the nicest thing to say.....but it's true. For both the old farts. Sadly, this team will never change until Ed passes along, like Al.

@Polaris922

Remember what is said about injuries? Chemistry is almost as important. It doesn't matter who you acquire...

It's too early to tell how/if it will affect the Pens (since Crosby is out, and is a bigger factor than the incoming players), but just look at the Rangers. They underestimated the value of guys like Prust, Dubinsky, and Anisimov for the roles that they played, and overestimated how important it was to have Nash in their place.

@Polaris922

Remember what is said about injuries? Chemistry is almost as important. It doesn't matter who you acquire...

I don't think that was the case. Iginla scored and the line with Neal & Malkin looked sharp. As a team though they just looked sloppy. Bad turnover, strange deflections, Vokoun caught napping... Just one of those games, you know?

Give it a couple games before I worry about it.

It's too early to tell how/if it will affect the Pens (since Crosby is out, and is a bigger factor than the incoming players), but just look at the Rangers. They underestimated the value of guys like Prust, Dubinsky, and Anisimov for the roles that they played, and overestimated how important it was to have Nash in their place.

We didn't lose anyone in those acquisitions though. I think the loss of Crosby & Martin at pretty much the same time, while Letang is still out hurts. But I think you can only ride a winning streak for so long then you're bound to fail. I'm just glad it happened now instead of like last year (round one).