Snider is in denial

brelic

Sounds like we're up for more of the same. We're only a defenseman and a sniper away!!

There's always the possibility that this is just posturing. But it also sounds like a man in denial, and using whatever excuses (schedule, injuries) he can. Pittsburgh and Chicago did just fine with the same schedule. Ottawa did just fine with significant injuries.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20130505_Inside_the_Flyers__Snider_reflects_on_frustrating_Flyers_season.html

The last time the Flyers won the Stanley Cup, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was a box-office sensation, sentences were handed out for the Watergate cover-up, and gas was about 57 cents a gallon.

Yeah, it's been a while.

Thirty-eight years, to be exact.

No one is more frustrated than Ed Snider, the Flyers' founder and chairman of Comcast-Spectacor, the team's parent company.

The frustration grew this season. First there was the senseless lockout. Then the Flyers' head-scratching, inconsistent play caused them to miss the playoffs for just the second time in the last 18 years.

Snider said there were extenuating circumstances surrounding the abbreviated, 48-game season.

"I don't want this to sound like excuses because all teams had a shortened schedule and just a one-week training camp," Snider said. "Some teams did well [the previous season] and were happy with their system. We got knocked out by New Jersey in the second round, and New Jersey dominated, and I think the coach wanted to tweak the system."

That, Snider said, was difficult to accomplish in a short training camp. "And we ended up with the worst schedule in the league. At one point, we played 20 games, and Boston had played 15 [actually, 14]. You already have a compressed schedule, and ours was compressed more than anyone else's. And when you have tweaking, no practices, and a bad start, we never recovered."

Injuries, Snider said, didn't help. Neither did this: The Flyers didn't have the resiliency (like Ottawa), the depth, or the speed to compensate.

"Most teams would have a difficult time recovering from a depleted defense like ours," Snider said. "It was sort of like everything that could go wrong did go wrong. It was the perfect storm."

For all of those reasons, Snider gives coach Peter Laviolette a pass on the 23-22-3 season, one in which the Flyers finished fourth in the five-team Atlantic Division and 10th in the 15-team Eastern Conference.

"He's the same coach who won a Stanley Cup in Carolina and took us to the Finals," Snider said. "I like him and his style of play."

That said, Laviolette figures to be on a short leash next season. This is a franchise whose trademark does not include patience.

Asked to evaluate general manager Paul Holmgren's performance, Snider said: "No one is happy with the year we had. I'm not happy with Ed Snider, so let's start at the top. Paul's not happy, and he knows we tried to do things and didn't have success."

Holmgren was unable to land marquee free agents Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, or Zach Parise, and his Plan B fell woefully short.

"Paul's overall performance is outstanding," said Snider, giving Holmgren a mulligan for this year, a pronouncement that will bring grief to the countless tweeters who want a new general manager.

Snider said the emergence of winger Jake Voracek and a terrific cameo by goalie Steve Mason were among his highlights this season. He also had praise for defenseman Erik Gustafsson.

"Gus came on as an NHL defenseman and as a guy who can move the puck, and some of the other young defensemen showed tremendous promise," he said.

Mason, who was rookie of the year in 2008-09, had been awful for most of the last four seasons with Columbus, but he was lights-out in seven games with the Flyers.

"It's not too small of a sample," Snider insisted. "It's not like he's just a kid right out of juniors. He had great credentials coming into the NHL, and those credentials don't just float away."

If the Flyers don't use a buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov, he and Mason will battle for the No. 1 job in training camp. But if the Flyers need to get Bryzgalov's annual $5.7 million cap hit off the books to acquire or sign another player, he will be bought out.

The Flyers' wish list includes a No. 1 defenseman and a sniper forward, preferably with size.

"If Paul has to get under the cap for a specific reason, he will. But if you're not getting a player, you don't have to," Snider said. "It's a game of chess, and that's still up in the air."

Despite almost four decades without a Stanley Cup, the Flyers' fan base has not abandoned them. The Flyers have had 106 consecutive sellouts at the Wells Fargo Center.

"Our fans love the game and know we're trying hard every year to get better," said Snider, whose youth hockey program has helped hundreds of young players stay in school. "Fans aren't stupid. They know when an organization is doing everything possible and when it's not. They probably wouldn't support us if we weren't working our butts off."

Still, going Cup-less since 1975 has to be draining on the 80-year-old Snider.

"We've been to the Finals several times [six] since then," Snider said, "and some unbelievably strange things have happened to us. Bernie [Parent] got hurt. We got robbed by the officials against the Islanders. . . . The Finals against Chicago a few years ago when we got beat by a crazy goal that no one saw.

"I think," Snider added with a grin, "someone has a pin in a voodoo doll somewhere and is putting it to us."

"I think," Snider added with a grin, "someone has a pin in a voodoo doll somewhere and is putting it to us."

I think somewhere along the line Ed somehow became a toadsucker with Ilya Bryzgalov..........Voodoo Doll for christ's sake?!?!

I read this article beforehand and thought the same thing. He is either (1) in denial, (2) a total BSer or (3) lossing his marbles in his old age. Nobody can take away the fact that we had a ton of injuries but to believe, if healthy, this Team is a contender is pure delusion. Yes, a #1 dman and a sniper is nice but it is not going to put us among the elite Teams. The defense needs a makeover and I am still confused as to why you woul keep Bryz on this Team...

Same old BS from management... same old BS for the past 38 years...

Well, the buyout period ends before free agency starts, so they kinda need to decide what to do with Bryz before then if they want to use his cap space to sign another guy. Clearly, they have no intention of buying Bryz out this summer.

I will say that there weren't other teams that started out with the schedule the Flyers had. And then the team got off on a bad foot and was behind from the jump. That did happen.

That said, who was the idiot that decided to force the cancellation of half a season and then play a compressed schedule? Oh, right.

I do think this team is better off than many might. You've got to look for a couple of players not to have sophomore slumps as juniors and hope that the defense (which, after all, never played a game together as envisioned) doesn't see as many injuries and provides more stability.

Mason should get 20-30 starts next season (unless Laviolette again decides to run Bryz into the ground - check out the schedule for the first three weeks of February where Lavy played him in 11 of 12 games in 21 days including both ends of three of four (yes, three of four) back-to-backs).

How many times have we seen a team - any team - play four back-to-back games in three weeks? Did Pittsburgh do that? No. Did Chicago? No. 12 games in 20 days. Did any other team do that in the first six weeks of the season? How about at any time over the course of the season?

Let's not pretend that the schedule at the start - and the bad start the team as a whole (Bryzgalov was 2.19/.924 in six games in January - and went 2-4 for his efforts) had no impact.

Bryzgalov actually had a better record for wins/losses once his numbers went South.

Still, 2.19/.924 and 2-4 in six games to start the season?

Must be the goalie.

• Like 1

Well, the buyout period ends before free agency starts, so they kinda need to decide what to do with Bryz before then if they want to use his cap space to sign another guy. Clearly, they have no intention of buying Bryz out this summer.

I will say that there weren't other teams that started out with the schedule the Flyers had. And then the team got off on a bad foot and was behind from the jump. That did happen.

That said, who was the idiot that decided to force the cancellation of half a season and then play a compressed schedule? Oh, right.

I do think this team is better off than many might. You've got to look for a couple of players not to have sophomore slumps as juniors and hope that the defense (which, after all, never played a game together as envisioned) doesn't see as many injuries and provides more stability.

Mason should get 20-30 starts next season (unless Laviolette again decides to run Bryz into the ground - check out the schedule for the first three weeks of February where Lavy played him in 11 of 12 games in 21 days including both ends of three of four (yes, three of four) back-to-backs).

How many times have we seen a team - any team - play four back-to-back games in three weeks? Did Pittsburgh do that? No. Did Chicago? No. 12 games in 20 days. Did any other team do that in the first six weeks of the season? How about at any time over the course of the season?

Let's not pretend that the schedule at the start - and the bad start the team as a whole (Bryzgalov was 2.19/.924 in six games in January - and went 2-4 for his efforts) had no impact.

Bryzgalov actually had a better record for wins/losses once his numbers went South.

Must be the goalie.

OUr schedule was more compressed than some at the beginning. But we also have the easiest travel schedule in the league, or close to it, in terms of miles. We're playing in the same time zone most of the time. The point is the Flyers aren't unique in facing scheduling challenges.

The B2Bs, though, I admit was a bit crazy. We had twice as many as Pittsburgh. Something's not right there.

Are they allowed to put feelers out to players agents prior to the buyout period? Or is that considered tampering if they do so?

I think Bryz is here for another year and will platoon with Mason. Mason will have great numbers, Bryz will get killed by the media, he'll be bought out, Mason will then go on to be the starter until he starts to stink up the joint. Following that, the brass will bring in another highly paid goalie to do the same as Bryz. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

I think Bryz is here for another year and will platoon with Mason. Mason will have great numbers, Bryz will get killed by the media, he'll be bought out, Mason will then go on to be the starter until he starts to stink up the joint. Following that, the brass will bring in another highly paid goalie to do the same as Bryz. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

That's what I think the Flyers will do. Keep him for an extra year and have him and Mason battle it out. But that depends largely on Laviolette giving Mason a fair shot at #1. Why didn't Mason play more down the stretch? He'd have a great game, and then Lavi would go right back to Bryz. Laviolette has a poor record of handling goaltenders in Philly.

But, the bigger question is how Bryz will react to being challenged for the #1 job. I mean, this is a guy who demanded to be #1 in Russia - ahead of Bobrovsky who has proven himself over an entire season to be better than Bryz. That tells me this guy puts himself above the team. So there is danger in keeping that kind of toxic personality around the team too long if he loses the starting job. They would be stuck with him until at least the end of the season before they can exercise a buyout.

I kinda go back and forth on whether they should keep him next season. Logic to me says yes... It gives you an entire year to put a succession plan in place, and you get a real good look at Mason. But emotion tells me to buy his ass out on day 1. Good riddance!

• Like 3

OUr schedule was more compressed than some at the beginning. But we also have the easiest travel schedule in the league, or close to it, in terms of miles. We're playing in the same time zone most of the time. The point is the Flyers aren't unique in facing scheduling challenges.

The B2Bs, though, I admit was a bit crazy. We had twice as many as Pittsburgh. Something's not right there.

12 games in 20 days - and four back-to-backs among them - is insane, no matter how far you travel.

The end of that stretch was @torontostar/@WPG, @NJ/@mongo01, @NYI, @PIT/vs. FLA. That's Ontario, Manitoba, North Jersey, Quebec, Long Island, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia in eleven days.

That's also three back to backs in two weeks - of which Bryzgalov started five of six.

It was a double-edged sword, of course. If they had gotten off to a great start, they could have run away from the League.

They didn't. And it wasn't the goalie who went 2-4 while putting up 2.19/.924 who had the "bad start."

Fixed it for you :)

Thanks ;)

I only know of the Gerber/Ward change in the playoffs while he was in Carolina. I don't know what it looked like in the regular season.

But if we win a Cup with Leighton a few years ago, he would look like a genius.

I guess I missed it Brel but I didn't read anything from Ed saying anything akin to "we're only a sniper and a D-man away." I read the author of the story saying the "wish list includes" those players but Ed's quotes didn't address player needs. Like I said maybe I missed it?

Must be the goalie.

Yea, must be the goalie. Of course. Snider is cunning and delusional. When half of Flyers Nation wants Holmgren gone that should be a clear signal that the fan base does not think this franchise is going anywhere close to the right direction. I mean all you have to do is watch the uninterrupted coverage of the NHL playoffs yesterday so see what elite status in the league really means. The Flyers are far from it. Snider The Circus Master Ringleader is tryng to spin more spin, like he has for 38 years. His MO is make sure we keeo the sell-outs coming.....

That's what I think the Flyers will do. Keep him for an extra year and have him and Mason battle it out. But that depends largely on Laviolette giving Mason a fair shot at #1. Why didn't Mason play more down the stretch? He'd have a great game, and then Lavi would go right back to Bryz. Laviolette has a poor record of handling goaltenders in Philly.

But, the bigger question is how Bryz will react to being challenged for the #1 job. I mean, this is a guy who demanded to be #1 in Russia - ahead of Bobrovsky who has proven himself over an entire season to be better than Bryz. That tells me this guy puts himself above the team. So there is danger in keeping that kind of toxic personality around the team too long if he loses the starting job. They would be stuck with him until at least the end of the season before they can exercise a buyout.

I kinda go back and forth on whether they should keep him next season. Logic to me says yes... It gives you an entire year to put a succession plan in place, and you get a real good look at Mason. But emotion tells me to buy his ass out on day 1. Good riddance!

You assume Peter the Great will be after next year. I say he should be here but this organization will pin the tail on that donkey unless they get a Top 4 finish 20013/14 before Ed accepts that one of his home grown Mr. Holmgren should go. Scrape, rinse, wash, repeat....

I guess I missed it Brel but I didn't read anything from Ed saying anything akin to "we're only a sniper and a D-man away." I read the author of the story saying the "wish list includes" those players but Ed's quotes didn't address player needs. Like I said maybe I missed it?

You're right, it's not a quote attributed to Snider. My bad ;)

I actually don't think he's that far off. They have a lot of good 3rd and 4th liners. Add one 1st or 2nd lime sniper, two defensman that can get the puck out of the zone, and put mason in there or make a move for bernier, and now we have a team.

The flyers 3rd and 4th lines are better than most.

• Like 1

Well that's essentially what Homer lost us last season by wasting his time on Parise and Suter (and later Weber, though at that point it was too late). Seems like an easy answer.

TO be fair though, the injuries really were a problem. Especially on Defense. But if we change "A" defenseman to "A few" defensemen, and add in a real goalie, then sure, I'm on board with expecting the youth to grow up for real.

We're only a defenseman and a sniper away!!

I for one am all about accepting responsibility for anything I do or am responsible for. I know Snider wants to win as he has shown a committment to winning more than any other Philly owner. I would love nothing more than for him to be able to hold the Cup once more. All that being said there are no excuses for the team this season. All teams had injuries and dealt with schedule issues. Bottom line was there were holes in this team that were not addressed in the offseason and contracts that hurt the team from moving forward.

They have an opportunity to do something about it this offseason but ridding themselves of some of the contracts. I bite the bullet and amnesty Briere and Bryz. While Snider and Comcast will still be responsible for paying out money for the contract it provides some much needed cap space to address the teams needs.

I think that with the amnesty of the contracts, making Mason number one, signing a potential free agent forward like Horton and possibly trading for a defenseman (even if it means giving up Couterier to get him) we can be right back in the hunt next season.

Posting fromm my phone so ...

I don't think the idea we're a #1 defenseman and a sniper winger away is delusional. If some of the sophomore slumpers return to rookoe form and Coburn has an "on" year, the #1 dman pushes everyone down to a more suitable role.

Imaginary #1/Grossman

Scenn/Gus

Coburn/Timo

Eh, it's not bad if you have a goalie that can cover some mistakes. Work Ollie in there and get rid of Mez.

The sniper obviously helps the other end andd maybe Hartnell shows up.

The problem is that you can't just stop off at Trader Joe's on the way home and pick up a. #1 and a side of sniper. I have no idea how they afford theae things under the cap or acquire without screwing up wht Snider thinks is right there.

The problem is that you can't just stop off at Trader Joe's on the way home and pick up a. #1 and a side of sniper. I have no idea how they afford theae things under the cap or acquire without screwing up wht Snider thinks is right there.

I think this is why it's delusional. Name the teams that are trying to unload their #1 defensemen? There are none. That means you have to knock their socks off with an offer. ANd that will cost us AT LEAST a few roster players (Couturier, Luke Schenn), a prospect (I can only really think of ONE in the entire organization worth anything), and picks.

Making that kind of move puts us right where we've always been with the "win now" mentality.

• Like 2