Did the Malkin - Bergeron fight cost the Penguins game 1?

hf101

Game 1 was entertaining. Not everyday we see Malkin fight. But did it cost the Penguins game 1?

I think the Bruins accomplished what they set out to do and that is to get under their skin and Sid didn't like it.

"They're letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate. You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope.

"That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that."

• Like 1

I actually liked the fight on Malkin's side, he did what these so called tough guy's on the Pens should have. I think you see Engelland at least back in the lineup. No team toughness in that game for Pittsburgh.

Oh I don't know I think Pitt showed plenty of physical toughness - which IMHO got them off their game, away from their strengths. It's kinda like what Milbury was trying to say, just shut up, go score goals and stop the b.s. fighting, hitting after the whistle, etc. The Pens have the firepower and the goaltending to win this series - they should take Boston in 4 or 5 games. But they squandered the 1st one at home with a slugfest and it was stupid. If Blysma responds with more of the same - dressing Engelland - they'll be down 2-0.

Ever have one of those games where nothing works? I think the Pens looked good in the first, but never left the locker room after that first intermission. Wasn't them out there. Four posts, three missed open nets... mishandling the puck left and right... drop passes to nobody... shooting the puck past the mouth of the net and BACK into Rask? They made a mediocre looking Bruins team look better than they were. Bruins were smarter though, dig a little... be patient... worry about defense and then capitalize on the few opportunities you muster. The Pens weren't ready last night. Honestly even leaving the locker room, especially at the start of the third, they looked like they'd have preferred to go back to bed.

One of those games boys... we all have them. Looking forward to Monday and hoping the real team shows up.

Game 1 was entertaining. Not everyday we see Malkin fight. But did it cost the Penguins game 1?

I think the Bruins accomplished what they set out to do and that is to get under their skin and Sid didn't like it.

I think so.... The Pens where on the PP at the start of the 3rd period. Malkin is now off the ice for 5 min for his fighting major. Malin is a vital link to the Pens PP. The Bruins will do what the Flyers did last year. Play a very phyical game/series. The Flyers goaded the Pens into penalties last year and got them off their game completely. The Bruins are the one team that can match the Flyers toughness. The Isle..no way...not even the Sens. However, the Bruins will take it to Pens. For the Pens to win this series they can't let the Bruins get too physical with them.

I understand the wanting to stand up for your player at the end of the 2nd period, however, Malkin was the wrong player to go at Bergeron IMO.

Even though I despise Cindy, I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt sometimes, however, there was absolutely NO reason to bump into Rask at the end of the the period.

Game 2 is gonna be VERY important to the Pens. They can't go down 2-0 heading to Boston and expect to win the series. If game 1 was any indication, this series should be fun.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

That particular style of play from the Pens works against teams with middling talent, as we saw with the Senators and Isles. This is the ECF, and the Bruins are deep and good...all this pens in 5 , the Bruins are mediocre, is crazy talk. If the Pens continue to play the up and down jail break out of the d zone to get the odd man rush, they will give up chances. Teams with good players will capitalize on those chances, the Pens best chance is to pull a Richards and break Krejci's arm; otherwise this is going to be a long series with many Maalox moments for our friends in Pgh.

I think so.... The Pens where on the PP at the start of the 3rd period. Malkin is now off the ice for 5 min for his fighting major. Malin is a vital link to the Pens PP. The Bruins will do what the Flyers did last year. Play a very phyical game/series. The Flyers goaded the Pens into penalties last year and got them off their game completely. The Bruins are the one team that can match the Flyers toughness. The Isle..no way...not even the Sens. However, the Bruins will take it to Pens. For the Pens to win this series they can't let the Bruins get too physical with them.

I understand the wanting to stand up for your player at the end of the 2nd period, however, Malkin was the wrong player to go at Bergeron IMO.

Even though I despise Cindy, I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt sometimes, however, there was absolutely NO reason to bump into Rask at the end of the the period.

Game 2 is gonna be VERY important to the Pens. They can't go down 2-0 heading to Boston and expect to win the series. If game 1 was any indication, this series should be fun.

I actually liked the way that the Pens played most of that game. They played with alot of speed and physicality. Only problem was that they did not finish their chances while the B's did. I think I counted 4 posts and a lot of glass snipes by the Pens. If the series stayes at this speed, I like their chances.

As for Crosby bumping Rask? So Rask hooks Crosby's leg with his stick going by, and Crosby responds by going back and bumping Rask, that makes Crosby wrong.

Why was not the question instead:

"Even though I like Rask, I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt sometimes, however, there was absolutely NO reason to hook Crosby's leg at the end of the the period."

Malkin on the other hand, just silly. You have a PP coming up to start the period, and you put yourself in the box for it. Plain dumb, let someone else handle that, that's exactly the response Bergeron wanted.

• Like 1

I actually am more confident that we'll win this series because of game 1. All that mess... From lousy play to lousy officiating, and the Pens still carried 29 shots, missed 12 aiming high because of a scouting report, and four posts. Half a dozen instances of having Rask beat then missing the gaping net and shooting the puck back into Rask... The Bruins really didn't play an impressive game, just patient. Reminded me of the Devils a lot actually. I still think we win this without a game 7.

I actually liked the way that the Pens played most of that game. They played with alot of speed and physicality. Only problem was that they did not finish their chances while the B's did. I think I counted 4 posts and a lot of glass snipes by the Pens. If the series stayes at this speed, I like their chances.

As for Crosby bumping Rask? So Rask hooks Crosby's leg with his stick going by, and Crosby responds by going back and bumping Rask, that makes Crosby wrong.

"Even though I like Rask, I do try to give him the benefit of the doubt sometimes, however, there was absolutely NO reason to hook Crosby's leg at the end of the the period."

Malkin on the other hand, just silly. You have a PP coming up to start the period, and you put yourself in the box for it. Plain dumb, let someone else handle that, that's exactly the response Bergeron wanted.

unless I missed something (which is possible I was half a sleep watching the period end) but I thought Crosby bumped into Rask FIRST then then Rask hooked Crosby......at least that is what the replay showed....

beginning at 13:58 ...it clearly shows Crosby elbowing Rask in the chest 1st and then in response to that Rask hooks Crosby....

sorry...gotta disagree with you on this one .....

Edited by pilldoc

@canoli

For all their talent it seems like when you start to play the chippy physical game against Pittsburgh they lose their discipline and get distracted by it. I would think a team with all that talent could stay focused on the task at hand instead of falling so easily into that style of game. They know they're going to get the calls. Why not just let Boston bury themselves?

I'm glad they're down, but if they just re-focus they should be able to beat Boston.

unless I missed something (which is possible I was half a sleep watching the period end) but I thought Crosby bumped into Rask FIRST then then Rask hooked Crosby......at least that is what the replay showed....

I think they were both heading off towards the benches, when the came together and "bumped", it was really nothing, but Rask gives the hook to Crosby's leg with his stick and Crosby took exception to that. I'll have to watch the replay again, I don't think the initial bump was anything intentional, but I could be biased. :D

• Like 1

What - you were expecting objectivity from the haters? ;)

I'm with you - I liked the way they play. Rask was good...not great. 4-5 posts? I can still hear the ringing. My only concern is that Game 2 is now must win.

I DO NOT dress Engelland. We already have 1.5 pylons with Orpik and Murray. Plenty of toughness out there already. Just stay focused. Turn the other cheek.

THIS is what all the hubub is about? Seriously, anyone complaining about this should turn in their man card. It's hockey. Good Lord.

agreed....I would not have mentioned it but others have so I thought I would put in my 2 sense......

• Like 1

What - you were expecting objectivity from the haters? ;)

I'm with you - I liked the way they play. Rask was good...not great. 4-5 posts? I can still hear the ringing. My only concern is that Game 2 is now must win.

I DO NOT dress Engelland. We already have 1.5 pylons with Orpik and Murray. Plenty of toughness out there already. Just stay focused. Turn the other cheek.

I'm not making any changes if I'm coach Dan. Just finish, and tell Malkin he's out there to score goals, not fight. Could you imagine him reinjuring his shoulder in something stupid like that?

I think they were both heading off towards the benches, when the came together and "bumped", it was really nothing, but Rask gives the hook to Crosby's leg with his stick and Crosby took exception to that. I'll have to watch the replay again, I don't think the initial bump was anything intentional, but I could be biased. :D

So....2 games for Crosby? ;) Should have at least got 5 and 10, right? How dare he intersect paths with the netminder like that.

I'm not making any changes if I'm coach Dan. Just finish, and tell Malkin he's out there to score goals, not fight. Could you imagine him reinjuring his shoulder in something stupid like that?

I loved that he fought and hated that he fought at the same time. Not being on a PP would have made me hate it less.

Turn the other cheek.

Think that is the only/biggest challenge/issue. This Pens team going back to last year vs Flyers and at points in Game 1, has a tendency to lose it's focus/discipline. If the Pens maintain those, Bruins won't win this series.

• Like 2

Not everyday we see Malkin fight. But did it cost the Penguins game 1?

Let's put it this way it didn't help them but the glaring change in the game was the Broons dominance in the faceoff circle, Bergeron ate Cindy's lunch there and honestly was a game changer that i haven't seen anyone mention.

It's a whole lot harder when you don't have the puck then must chase it and get it from a great team....hard uphill battle.

It's also the same place the Flyers struggled and got exposed this year in the f/o circle...Giroux was good a times but it seems he was alone.

Cindy is normally real good at it but not last night.

Hence the loss. Surely not the only reason but it was a BIG ONE!

IMHO. :ph34r:

• Like 2

RE Crosby / Rask

here's a place where leadership can come to play in a good way; gather up the non-combatants, take the team to the locker room, where you figure out how to eviscerate the B's on the power play to come, old Sidney Crosby does this, new Sidney Crosby cannot.

what actually happened , needless confrontation with the other team's goal keeper, now no one is going to come to his defense . So rather than steadying his team he actually adds to the negative emotion. There was no reason to cut Rask off , no reason to lift the elbow, none. It was not what his team needed from him then or ever.

I think this level of instability from 87 is residual from his concussions, severe brain injuries cause changes up there and it's never for the better ;unless you're watching a Harrison Ford movie from hundreds of years ago.

I think the part of his brain that in the past said "skate away and use your skill to win the confrontation" has been replaced by a more primal fight or flight response in his case mostly fight and it is not helpful to him or the Pens.

I think when you engage Crosby physically now this will be the result more often than not. His concussions were severe, there is no way to sugar coat it, even if you want to say "oh the second injury was a neck injury" that's still connected to the brain not to mention the coup contrecoup whiplash that occurred ...and team doctors lie.

He leads the team, he's the best player, he sets the tone, his brain has been damaged and he has not shown the ability to "rise above" often enough since that leads me to think it is because he cannot anymore.

I think his life after hockey is going to suck.

It doesn't make me happy to type this either.

Edited by mojo1917