Anywhere here like Mike Emrick doing Finals or in General

Guest Mario99

I like doc emrick to be honest, i think he actually does a solid job of calling the game, I do like Kenny Alberts....If i have to hear piere mcguire tell you who played with who in what juniors league 1 more time, i might break my tv

Edited by falcor1313
  • Like 1

Emrick is a Pittsburgh guy so if course he hates the Flyers!

Emrick hates the Flyers and makes no secret of it.

Mike Emrick used to work for the Flyers in the '80s and early '90s. The Flyers decided not to renew his contract after the '92-'93 season. Essentially like being fired. That's where his hatred of the Flyers comes from.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

To answer your question.....NO! I can't stand him! I will explain below...

I was a Gene and Bobby guy and then all of a sudden "Doc" who was actually a decent in studio guy gets behind the mic with his whiny voice and irritating sayings (what the heck is a turning stick anyway?) starts taking over for Gene on TV. Gene was unhappy and the fans were unhappy but they crammed him down our throats anyway. Few here in Philly liked him as he wasn't and IMHO still isn't that good. That is where my dislike for him originates. Then when we thankfully canned him and he became the Devs announcer he became insufferable. I was shocked when he became the lead broadcaster for every iteration of the NHL national broadcasts and I have never and will never understand the reverence he gets on the national level. Truthfully I cant wait until the day he retires! Till then we are stuck with him and his DRIVES and smears into the half boards.

• Like 1

I don't mind the broadcasting crew. They must be doing something right ratings are back up to where they were in the 1990's. I've always been a Joe Micheletti fan as he is from my home town. I saw an interesting blog earlier in the month about the impressive takeover of the league broadcasting by former collegiate stars. Every national playoff broadcast has featured a former NCAA star in the press box, at rinkside or in the intermission studio.

Mike Emrick used to work for the Flyers in the '80s and early '90s. The Flyers decided not to renew his contract after the '92-'93 season. Essentially like being fired. That's where his hatred of the Flyers comes from.

He wasn't born here but grew up here, and remains a big Pirates fan. He's here a lot since its what he considers his hometown. He actually covered the Pens for a small newspaper in a neighboring county before his break in broadcasting. So maybe we're both right! Lol

@Phillygrump

He's doing play by play for my beloved Orioles.

I don't miss him at all...

EDIT: His calls of chris davis tower shots are great !

But to your point I thought he and Bill Clement were a great combo.

I like Stader and Engblom , and I don't hate the lead NBC crew, I think McGuire does bring some good stuff to the broadcast particularly when he chats up players during the game and relays what they've said. Here's what comes across most for me with him , he loves our sport.

Edited by mojo1917

Here's what comes across most for me with him , he (McGuire) loves our sport.

I don't think anyone is questioning his love for the game, or his knowledge for that matter. There is just the minor detail that to most people he seems like an irritating tool!

WRT Doc Emrick, I can't stand the guy either his whiny voice drives me nuts. Praise the lord that the site I stream from offers a choice of CBC as well as NBC!

Till then we are stuck with him and his DRIVES and smears into the half boards.

And "ladles it along" and "filters it through;" he gets stuck in too many ruts with those snazzy sayings he must dream up on flights.

Can't stand him--more his attitude than anything else.

At this point I would give my right nut ritional supplement to hear GARY THORNE--how did he get locked out of the big show?!?! In favor of Emrick?!?

I like emerick well enough. Good cadence, pretty ok on players' names. His voice is nasel, and his descriptors over the top, but could be a lot worse. Spend enough time watching center ice and you realize how terrible play by play can be.

• Like 1

If we're bashing Emrick and Lucky Pierre (and rightfully so), lets not forget Eddie O. He is also anti Flyers and pro Penguins from when he played for them and coached them as well as pro Blackhawks since he is their regular color guy. I swear that guy is rubbing one out in the booth when he gets to call a Hawks or Pens game on National TV.

Edited by Samifan

At this point I would give my right nut ritional supplement to hear GARY THORNE--how did he get locked out of the big show?!?! In favor of Emrick?!?

Gary Thorne was under contract with ESPN to call hockey games. When ESPN dropped out of the bidding to broadcast NHL games, Thorne moved on to baseball and college football.

Did you know he was a lawyer?

If we're bashing Emrick and Lucky Pierre (and rightfully so), lets not forget Eddie O. He is also anti Flyers and pro Penguins from when he played for them and coached them as well as pro Blackhawks since he is their regular color guy. I swear that guy is rubbing one out in the booth when he gets to call a Hawks or Pens game on National TV.

The same Eddie O who the Pens fired? I think he's pretty impartial with the Pens; I know he's been critical when it's been deserved.