Streit agrees to $21M / 4 year deal

Guest brelic

@sarsippius

Sorry bud. I think Streit will be your #1 guy to start really. He'll skate with your top line to feed the puck and the first two years that will pay dividends. I think the second two years he'll have slowed down, and be an issue. You all know my opinion of Timonen. But Timonen is more defensively responsible. I think Timonen should be out to pasture now, and in two years Streit will most likely be due as well.

First two years are a bright spot though. I think you'll enjoy Streit and now I have to worry about him. He could be exactly what you need to fix your transition game.

I agree, however, that four years is an issue.

Keep in mind that if the reports are true, then he has only a "limited" NTC. So if his play really drops off after two or three years, the Flyers can look to trade him. They likely won't get much for him, but they didn't give much of anything to get him so the return is basically a non-issue. Gonchar just got $10 million for two years at age 39. I would expect that there will be teams interested in Streit at that point as well.

Surely most of you realize this is an improvement for your defense, right?? At least in the short term? I guess I expected a bunch if complaints about the contract length as I think THAT is the true issue. But it seems most of you think Streit is a waste of a roster spot.

You could be right but sometimes old is old no matter what style they play. We will have to just let this play out to see how it unfolds.

Yes, but all things considered I would probably bet my chips on 35 year old who doesn't have much wear and tear on his body rather than a 35 year old who does. Streit didn't even get to the NHL until age 28 I believe, so he's fairly low mileage.

Keep in mind that if the reports are true, then he has only a "limited" NTC. So if his play really drops off after two or three years, the Flyers can look to trade him. They likely won't get much for him, but they didn't give much of anything to get him so the return is basically a non-issue. Gonchar just got $10 million for two years at age 39. I would expect that there will be teams interested in Streit at that point as well.

Only bad side to that though is.. If he sucks, who would want his $5.25 million cap hit? Tough to trade, even for nothing. That's the only thing I'd be upset about as a Flyer fan though, contract length.

Surely most of you realize this is an improvement for your defense, right?? At least in the short term? I guess I expected a bunch if complaints about the contract length as I think THAT is the true issue. But it seems most of you think Streit is a waste of a roster spot.

An improvement is not the issue.

Its irresponsible management.

This is not the kind of move a team should make if they are not anywhere near the cup. Its completely pointless. And id argue if a team were near the cup signing this particular player would be stupid as well. If you're an intelligent GM you'd be able to figure out (by the trade deadline) a cheaper move that doesn't negatively affect the long term.

In 3 seasons the flyers should be targeting a cup run. This move will be a killer at that time; it will restrict them from making a move when perhaps they really may be able to contend.

Typical lack of patience and zero planning or foresight.

They're an amateur organization with terrible management

@Polaris922

@JackStraw

I don't really disagree with either of your analyses, Streit will provide some immediate upside. But it's just throwing money at the "best available" in a weak UFA year for defensemen. The Flyers aren't contending for a Cup next year. But they might be knocking on the door 2-3 years from now, and wishing the had some cap room instead of choking on the remains of the contract of a guy who can't contribute anymore.

Now if this ends up meaning a Bryz buyout, the above won't bother me nearly as much.

@sarsippiuis

buying out Brz is irrelevant

just because you may free up space doesn't mean you haphazardly spend the money on a FA. True strategy would have them refrain from throwing money around just because they have the cap space

Its the same non-thinking strategy over and over

An improvement is not the issue.

Its irresponsible management.

This is not the kind of move a team should make if they are not anywhere near the cup. Its completely pointless. And id argue if a team were near the cup signing this particular player would be stupid as well. If you're an intelligent GM you'd be able to figure out (by the trade deadline) a cheaper move that doesn't negatively affect the long term.

In 3 seasons the flyers should be targeting a cup run. This move will be a killer at that time; it will restrict them from making a move when perhaps they really may be able to contend.

Typical lack of patience and zero planning or foresight.

They're an amateur organization with terrible management

Typical "sky is falling" talk. Lets just see how it works out eh? You do need a few vets for the younger guys...

I think good signing since you are not going to find any good skating defenseman for these money. yandale would be cost good player and 8 mil per at least. Common people wake up and look at players market. Don't look at contract that had been signed with players that where drafted by those teams and 5 years ago.

Only bad side to that though is.. If he sucks, who would want his $5.25 million cap hit? Tough to trade, even for nothing. That's the only thing I'd be upset about as a Flyer fan though, contract length.

IF he's that bad he could be stuffed on the Phantoms, a la Wade Redden. I don't think that will happen though.

@Polaris922

@JackStraw

I don't really disagree with either of your analyses, Streit will provide some immediate upside. But it's just throwing money at the "best available" in a weak UFA year for defensemen. The Flyers aren't contending for a Cup next year. But they might be knocking on the door 2-3 years from now, and wishing the had some cap room instead of choking on the remains of the contract of a guy who can't contribute anymore.

Now if this ends up meaning a Bryz buyout, the above won't bother me nearly as much.

I would be shocked if both Bryz and Briere weren't bought out. Bryz maybe not until next year, but one way or another.

So with this signing, I am trying to figure out what our game plan is for the future. Does this tell us we are going for it? Does this tell us that we are waiting for our young players to develop and just bidding the years away? I guess we will have to see the future moves of the team during and after the draft? After the buyouts. I am thoroughly confused as to the direction of the team.

The part I hate the most is.....if there is a glaring weakness (on paper) this team will ALWAYS go out and buy their way out of trouble. This year, we need an offensive d-man, so Homer responds by getting the best one available. Smart GM's would trust their scouting and player evaluation and let the problem solve itself by promting from within. For exampe, if Gus was promoted to the top pp, he very will could have kicked out 12-15 more points and effectively solve a problem in house. I really think Gus's transiton game is solid right now, with more minutes and experience he would have really blossemed in that dept also. Instead we not only block his way from top minutes, we pay a lot of cash to do so and become older and slower in the process. Its these type of knee jerk, lack of patience moves that makes my blood boil....it reeks of panic and lack of overall gameplan.

Another part of this deal I dont like, the Flyers became easier to play against.....and their defensive zone coverage also took a hit, and thats a spot where we cant afford to get weaker at....we desperately needed vast improvement in that area...so the points are nice, but at what cost......and I factor in the fact Gus is blocked from advancing his skill set. Gus has the upside to be an all star, and instead of running with his talent and see where it takes us, we pay out the nose to block his ability to grow and evolve...not very smart if you ask me.

• Like 2

My brother said it best when he said that this will be one of those Sean O'Donnell deals where at 1st we are like "oh wow he is actually pretty good, great job Homer" and then during the stretch run we are like "ugh where is Lilja when you need him?" as people are simply skaing around him on the rush as his age begins to show.

And I stand by that statement! I do believe we will get some great things out of Streit early on, but as the contract wears on and the team gets better, Streit will be on the down turn and will likely end up being a 5 mil liability out there. I would have rather they did nothing now and save their cap room for when a better option is there. This isn't the draft, where they have to choose the best available option. They could easily stand pat, but I think that is impossible for Homer and Snider.

i LIKE this deal. don't like the terms so much but we did need a player like him.

Is there a way that this forum can autosave a Reply while it's being typed? Twice already I loose my post after I've been typing for over 5 minutes and loose all the content.

1. We might be loosing 5 out of 6 shooting dmen next year, due to injury/retirement.

2. Last year we didn't have enough veteren leadership out on the ice, and it show'd on us not being able to get back in the games and win it.

3. There was alot more I posted but am pissed off that it all got deleted, but believe me, this is another tool at our disposal that we now can use, that we didn't have before, our 5 on 5 stats will improve next year, our Power Play will improve as well, etc, etc. etc.

IF he's that bad he could be stuffed on the Phantoms, a la Wade Redden. I don't think that will happen though.

Does his "limited NTC" permit that?

Regardless... It amuses me that so many Flyers fans are so upset about this. The first two years he'll be your most dangerous defenseman to the rest of the league. Please drive him out of Philly! LOL

Regardless... It amuses me that so many Flyers fans are so upset about this. The first two years he'll be your most dangerous defenseman to the rest of the league. Please drive him out of Philly! LOL

I guess we'll have to wait to find out the details. Limited NTC at least sounds a lot better than full NMC.

I for one am upset about the length and the fact that it's just another 'typical' Flyers move. There is no plan.

I honestly would rather have $6.5M for two years of Streit than $5.25M over 4 years.

I know how much you dislike Timonen... and I honestly think that, for whatever reason, you like bringing him down a peg because of how important he is to the Flyers and how much fans like him (kinda like our disdain for Crosby). The truth is that Timonen at 39 will be much more useful than Streit will be at 37 and beyond. Timonen still ranks among the best defensemen in terms of offensive production, and even though he may get 'burned' more often now than in the past, he is still an excellent shot blocker, smart defender, and an undisputed leader for this team.

• Like 1

So they wouldn't pay Matt Carle in his prime a similar amount to Streit way passed his prime...?

While I will never forgive Carle for coughing up the puck against the Rangers and ruining the Flyers chances of holding a record that could never be broken (zero short handed goals allowed in a season,) Carle is a career plus player and Streit achieved that exactly one season.

Ah well.