Cooke wants to wear Boogaard's #24

hf101

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of Cooke wearing #24

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

Cooke isn't doing a good job winning over fan support in Minnesota as he has asked to wear Boogaard's #24. He has even sent a letter to the Boogaard family asking for their blessing. Cooke will say that he has worn #24 his entire career so far in the NHL. But so others often wear another number when moving to a new team.

Although Boogaard wasn't a member of the Wild organization when he died, one still has to think this is a questionable P. R. move, right? I highly doubt Cooke will ever be the fan favorite Boogaard once was.

For comparison no one in Philly has worn Lindbergh's number 31 since his tragic death.

So what do you think should Cooke wear number 24 for the Wild?

@hf101 Since I've known him as a Canuck, I've always thought he was such a horse's a**....he should do the right thing for once & be respectful (tho' I don't think he understands the concept) & take a different #....at least attempt turning over a new leaf.

Cooke isn't doing a good job winning over fan support in Minnesota as he has asked to wear Boogaard's #24. He has even sent a letter to the Boogaard family asking for their blessing. Cooke will say that he has worn #24 his entire career so far in the NHL. But so others often wear another number when moving to a new team.

Although Boogaard wasn't a member of the Wild organization when he died, one still has to think this is a questionable P. R. move, right? I highly doubt Cooke will ever be the fan favorite Boogaard once was.

For comparison no one in Philly has worn Lindbergh's number 31 since his tragic death.

So what do you think should Cooke wear number 24 for the Wild?

It's a disgrace having a cheap shot artist/coward taking the number of one of the toughest s.o.b's that ever played

Wear 42, if no one else has it...same digits.

I don't think he should ask to wear it. However, I also don't think the situation compares to Lindbergh, IMO. Simply for the reason that Pelle was an active player of the Flyers and died mid-season. Boogard was no longer a Wild player, even though he was only 1 year removed from Minnesota.

The simplest way to avoid the issue is to NOT wear the number! Just proves what a lot of us have said..Cooke is an ass.

How far do you go? They're not retiring the number. Boogard was a great tough guy who met a tragic end. But the Wild weren't clamoring to retire the number over his play. I see the flip side of this, and actually give Cooke credit for thinking to ask the family. It's something he didn't have to do. He could've just put it on and said "oh well".

• Like 2

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Boogard. Sorry about your son, what's his names passing. Mind if i honor him by letting the biggest douchebag in recent hockey history wear his number? I know I speared him in the groin once a couple of times, and killed his best friend on a cheapshot to the head. But I really want that number.....love Cookie.

• Like 2

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Boogard. Sorry about your son, what's his names passing. Mind if i honor him by letting the biggest douchebag in recent hockey history wear his number? I know I speared him in the groin once a couple of times, and killed his best friend on a cheapshot to the head. But I really want that number.....love Cookie.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!

I will give Cooke credit for at least asking but I will also give Minny bad marks for even allowing him to pursue it. Someone in the Minny Organization should have enough sense to tell him "NO WAY IN HELL do you get to wear that number here". Boogard was a tough guy but he was also respected by his peers, something Cooke is not and more than likely, never will be........

• Like 2

too bad Boogard is dead, you know Cooke wouldn't fight him for it.

i do want to give Cooke some credit for asking the family to wear the # . He didn't have to do that, and he's probably a little superstitious, i don't think is wearing the same number soils Boogard's legacy.

@yave1964 My question is....if he was such a treasured member of the Wild's family, why not just retire it and be done with it. Their waffling on this makes them look tacky. Either annoucne there is no plans on retireing it, or retire it...make a stand either way so the family is not put in the awkward position of oking it every time somebody wants to wear it.

• Like 1

@jammer2

I don't think Boogaard was such a treasured member of the Wild family as much as he was a fan favorite. If Cooke is there the next 3 years wearing #24, I really doubt anyone else will need to ask permission again to the Boogaard family.

Just....wow. If this is anyone but Cooke there isn't even a thread.

All due respect to Boogaard but now the goons who's 9 out of 10 fights were staged should get their numbers unofficially retired?

Minnesota didn't have an issue with it. Boogaard's own family didn't have an issue with it.

Period. End of story.