Can we Trade for Martin St. Louis

Mario99

Don't know if this topic was mentioned before but St. Louis is 38 years old as of this past June,

Cap hit is around $5.5 Million I believe, IMO, he would look good next to Vinny, who he played on a line with for many years in addition don't think Tampa is going anywhere for at least 2 years so what would it take to bring Martin St. Louis to Philly, if anyone is interested in a line of Vinny, St. Louis, Simmonds

Wow

Don't know if this topic was mentioned before but St. Louis is 38 years old as of this past June,

Cap hit is around $5.5 Million I believe, IMO, he would look good next to Vinny, who he played on a line with for many years in addition don't think Tampa is going anywhere for at least 2 years so what would it take to bring Martin St. Louis to Philly, if anyone is interested in a line of Vinny, St. Louis, Simmonds

Wow

He kind of amazes me. I'm always skeptical of late bloomers. I always expect them to be a flash in the pan kind of player, but he's still producing at a high level, which most guys don't do at his age.

• Like 1

Wow

Yeah i don't think you add him unless a lot of cap space is freed up they are over the cap now, besides i'm ok with the roster as is once Mezz is moved, the only thing left is signing Simon to a cheap contract...5 years ago i'd be ok with it...but not now.

Wow

Just sprayed my beer all over my iPad!

I guess i shouldn't have taken a swig while I was reading this.

if anything from the Tampa... dare I say I would rather trrade for Carle?

Damn it!!!

I did it again!!

• Like 2

@Mario99

As much as I like MSL, isn't it high time we got away from trading youth/picks away for some guy whose wheels are about to fall off?

I also can't see MSL leaving Tampa nor Tampa wanting to deal him.

Probably my second favorite all-time player :)

• Like 1

St.Louis is the kind of guy that you add when you`re one piece away, a kind of Butch Goring type of thingy....a guy to give you that final push you need to secure the cup. So, don`t see how this applies to the Flyers.

• Like 1

Wow

Seriously?? WTF would Tampa trade the current Art Ross winner away for? So he's 38 but he just won a scoring title. You'd have to send them more than any of you are willing to give.

This isn't much different than a "lets trade for Weber" thread...

not to be all nitpicky, but such a thing doesn't exist.

Well, I`d guess the 1980 Islanders would beg to differ. They traded for Goring, won the cup and he won the Conn Smythe, so every once and a while, yeah, it does work.

@jammer2

I think Aziz was referring to the "secure the cup" wording, meaning there are no guarantees.

Although the "don't know how this applies to the Flyers" part could also be a bone of contention. Trading youth/picks for old guys is IMO one of the reasons Philly never wins a cup. We see those players we traded away win them lots of times though. But bringing in a Kubina, Pronger, Nedved, Zhamnov, Markov, Amonte, Oates etc etc has brought us a grand total of squat. Yet, it's what we do...over and over and over.

Just an FYI for those who love the idea of bringing in a 38 year old player who'd likely cost us something like Simmonds and Laughton +, just from those players we traded for mentioned above, NONE of whom are still playing hockey, we gave up Lupul, Sbisa, Seidenberg, Williams, Fraser (3 have won cups) plus 3-1sts, 3-2nds 2 - 3rds and 3-4ths (not to mention prospects...and those who don't think they're worth anything, Brandon Dubinsky and Bryan Bickel were taken with two of those 4ths) plus we're saddled with a 5 million caphit we have to comply with at the start of each season for 4 more years. Ya, we traded all that for....nothing.

• Like 2

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

Right, it was the secure the cup bit. No player trade, signing, anything else secures a cup. If your team waits on adds for the moment they can secure a cup, they'll be waiting forever.

A player either helps or he doesn't. If he can help you win 16 games in the spring, then he can help you win 50 during the season.

The only time I buy the "last piece of the puzzle" concept, as regards do or don't on a given player, is if it's a high risk move with short term gain. E.g., trading high picks for a rental at the deadline. Trading for a player with two years left on a deal during the off-season...he either helps or he doesn't.

All that said, st Louis has a nmc, and I can't see why Tampa would want to move him. Plus, I'm not sure his production translates perfectly to another team. He has a special spot on that roster, don't think it'd be the same plopping him onto another.

As much as I'd like to see Marty St. Louis in Philadelphia, I don't think it's a good idea.

On the plus side, he would bring some goals, work ethic, character and an extra weapon for the playoffs.

But, at his age, he's a short term asset. Flyers would have to give up some young talent. Which would only be another step in the wrong direction. Been there, done that too many times.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that we should specifically trade one or two of our young guys specifically for St. Louis, but I'd like to point out how well going young worked out for us this past year. The young guys looked completely overwhelmed and outmatched. They were kind of thrown to the wolves this year. Even our "leaders" were young. Giroux, who is still a kid, was supposed to lead a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players? Come on. You need a balance of youth and experience (which is really all my point is).

I'm not saying that we should specifically trade one or two of our young guys specifically for St. Louis, but I'd like to point out how well going young worked out for us this past year. The young guys looked completely overwhelmed and outmatched. They were kind of thrown to the wolves this year. Even our "leaders" were young. Giroux, who is still a kid, was supposed to lead a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year players? Come on. You need a balance of youth and experience (which is really all my point is).

I agree. That's where I think the loss of Jagr and Carle cost them - at least the six points they needed to make the playoffs.

It may also be that there is a vet of the type you describe out there.

I just (unfortunately) don't think it's MSL.