Gill Likely to stay

Leach27

Seravelli is typically hyping things up, while substantiating none of what his headline claims. In fact, he pretty much contradicts it in his own piece: "the Flyers’ top six is pretty set: Kimmo Timonen, Mark Streit, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nick Grossmann and Braydon Coburn. It’s likely that Erik Gustafsson will be the extra guy, though he could play his way into the opening lineup." And " It’s just tough to figure where he would play, unless he is willing to start the season in Adirondack as an insurance policy." Sure he's got some feel good quotes from Laviolette, but what's the guy supposed to say?

Unless there's a serious injury or a trade or two, Gill isn't likely to stay. I guess they may keep him if he only signs a one year deal as an insurance policy and starts on the Phantoms (at least that way he doesn't count as an over-35 deal, but he would count as a "buried" contract). I just don't know that a 38-year old will want to play in the AHL.

In the end, when the Flyers head up to Lake Placid, I expect to see the following:

F: Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, Lecavalier, Read, Talbot, Couturier, Laughton, Rinaldo, B. Schenn, Raffl, McGinn, and Rosehill

D: Timonen, Streit, L. Schenn, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Lauridsen, Gervais, Morin

G: Mason, Emery

Leaving up to 2 slots for Gill, Alt, Cousins, Akeson,  Manning, Straka, Heeter, and Danis. I suppose Gill could stick for the trip, if that's what Seravelli was actually trying to say, but I think even that is unlikely.

Seravelli is typically hyping things up, while substantiating none of what his headline claims. In fact, he pretty much contradicts it in his own piece: "the Flyers’ top six is pretty set: Kimmo Timonen, Mark Streit, Andrej Meszaros, Luke Schenn, Nick Grossmann and Braydon Coburn. It’s likely that Erik Gustafsson will be the extra guy, though he could play his way into the opening lineup." And " It’s just tough to figure where he would play, unless he is willing to start the season in Adirondack as an insurance policy." Sure he's got some feel good quotes from Laviolette, but what's the guy supposed to say?

Unless there's a serious injury or a trade or two, Gill isn't likely to stay. I guess they may keep him if he only signs a one year deal as an insurance policy and starts on the Phantoms (at least that way he doesn't count as an over-35 deal, but he would count as a "buried" contract). I just don't know that a 38-year old will want to play in the AHL.

In the end, when the Flyers head up to Lake Placid, I expect to see the following:

F: Giroux, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, Lecavalier, Read, Talbot, Couturier, Laughton, Rinaldo, B. Schenn, Raffl, McGinn, and Rosehill

D: Timonen, Streit, L. Schenn, Coburn, Meszaros, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Lauridsen, Gervais, Morin

G: Mason, Emery

Leaving up to 2 slots for Gill, Alt, Cousins, Akeson,  Manning, Straka, Heeter, and Danis. I suppose Gill could stick for the trip, if that's what Seravelli was actually trying to say, but I think even that is unlikely.

Unless the Flyers have changed there minds now. I thought they were interested in trading mez or another D man. Been lots of rumors about this for a few months. How can He (frank s) say the top 6 is set?

There are just to many variables to even try and predict who will make up our defense in Oct. I suspect a trade based on the reports/rumors and just to many bodies. The odds of our entire defense being healthy through the whole pre-season is not great. I think Gill is a pylon, but a serviceable pylon. In other words, if he is kept in a pk role and stashed away on the bench otherwise, I'm ok with that. The best case is to stick him on the Phantoms and see how he responds to AHL speed....if he can't cut it there, cut him loose.

However, he does have a really long stick and I know from past history he is really talented at cutting off passing lanes with that super long reach and stick. In the past, he has also been a nice physical force when a forward is jockeying for the screen. Stationed in front of the net on the pk is the only place where I can see him serviceable.....but it is a specific skill set that we can use. Call it an emergency fall back option, but at 38, that is the best outcome he can expect....AND only if his foot speed has not further deteriorated. Having him come off the bench for pk can keep the other d-men fresh. It could work, but I'm very skeptical.

• Like 1

Preseason is a good opportunity for players to show other teams they can still skate (I.e. Gill, Mezo, Etc).

Ultimately a bonus to the Situation Could be showcasing these guys to move them (Mezo) or let them find their own deal elsewhere (Gil) as proof their still viable.

Wish we would have done Bruno on a tryout.

Why the Hell gagne isn't there is still beyond me.

@AJgoal

Morin was sent back to his Jr team; however, I agree with you and for the $$ Gus would be better suited as the 7th d-man

They will sign Gill to take Shelley's spot on the popcorn line.

LOL.almost spit up my drink when I read that! LOL  +10  Don't forget about the beer runs too! :)

Seriously I will be royaly pi$$ed if he makes the team.  Not sure if anyone saw this specific comment: (either by Lavy or Homer)

“I like Hal against somebody on the top line of the opposition.”

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Veteran-tryout-Hal-Gill-likely-to-stick-around.html#W55i2XEBGF6PDVj5.99

What the heck are they smoking.  Sure maybe a couple years ago, but unless I am wrong, Gill is 38 and has lost a step or two.  Now granted age/experience may get you by in certain situations, but I cannot seriously see him playing againsat top line players from other teams, unless it is their geriatric line. IMO, this is just a dumb move. 

Edited by pilldoc

Gill is 38 and has lost a step or two

I agree that it's kind of a questionable decision but considering that he's always been a statue on the ice, whether he's super incredibly slow or just incredibly slow probably doesn't matter very much.

Edited by JackStraw

I agree that it's kind of a questionable decision but considering that he's always been a statue on the ice, whether he's super incredibly slow or just incredibly slow probably doesn't matter very much.

Soooooo......just plop him in front of either Emery or Mason around the crease and have hime become a stone wall?

Hal "Stonewall" Gill

Kinda catchy.

LOL! Great comeback  +10

Just as long as he dosen't get killed(injured) by his own teammates like the real "Stonewall" got killed by his own troops! :D  :P

"IF" he makes the team...we'll just call him "Stonewall"....LOL