What about Schenn?

AndyS

why do we have to sign him right now?   I would rather see what he does this year and if he has another below average year sign him to a bridge contract.  Most people expect him to breakout but as FC stated - when?   Honestly, I am not as high on Schenn as most people around here and find that he is wildly inconsistent.   For the Flyers to make the playoffs the need Schenn to have a solid year and deliver on the scoreboard - somehow he needs to start making an impact night in & night out.

I keep waiting for him to hit is stride but so far we see glimpses every once in a while.   If I am GM I am not signing him to a lucrative deal unless he produces.  His chance in my book is this year and if he does not perform this year?   Give him a 1 or 2 year deal as a bridge (similar to Cooter) and hope he is not a bust...

• Like 3

My guess is one or both sides are waiting to see where his development is going. We all expect him to have a breakout...the question is when?

I think this may be true from both sides.  If he breaks out in a big way, say 30+ goals, we may regret not signing him now.  If he struggles, say 14-16 goals, he will regret not signing now on his potential.

This is what Matt Read did.  He is signed with a goal for a role and production level, but if he doesn't make it Homer will look like an idiot. If he breaks out he will look like a genius. 

@TarHeelFlyer...

Very good point... this could turn out to be another JvR deal... He plays well and Homer pays him on potential.   I hope not but could very well see it happening.   Schenn needs to produce this year IMO if they have a chance at the playoffs.   He has the talent but needs to play at the level of his talent each night.

I think this may be true from both sides.  If he breaks out in a big way, say 30+ goals, we may regret not signing him now.  If he struggles, say 14-16 goals, he will regret not signing now on his potential.

This is what Matt Read did.  He is signed with a goal for a role and production level, but if he doesn't make it Homer will look like an idiot. If he breaks out he will look like a genius. 

The risks of a GM.

Why is Brayden Schenn still unsigned beyond this season?

Just waiting for cap space to open up?

IMHO there is no reason to rush this thing...depends on which side, if maybe both are trying to find a sweet spot to nail down his bridge contract, honestly he hasn't done a whole lot to get more than Coots so i imagine it will be around the same amount as Coots.

But they have all year to get it done unless, unless the Fly guys find he wants to much and then they could/should just trade him for something...but that would be my last option if they can't find common ground which i think is not the case.

• Like 1

Maybe Homer learned from the JVR signing, wait and see what Schenn does before giving him a lont-term deal that will end up handcuffing the Flyers cap wise.

Or Briere, Bryzgalov, Crater, Richards, Pronger, Hartnell, Lecavalier, Streit...

:ph34r:

In all seriousness, I would imagine that Schenn has a higher value on himself than the Flyers do at this point.

His agent set him up with a ridiculous contract that had bonus clauses in it that would have been somewhat difficult for Crosby to have hit in his first three seasons. It seems they had lofty expectations from the jump.

• Like 1

@ rad... you are dead on...   As a fan I do not consider Schenn to be a high value.  Honeslty, I think he has been a big disappointment since coming over to the Flyers.   I would argue he should be paid the same as Cooter or maybe even less.   At least Cooter is stellar defensively...   Schenn will be my whipping boy this year if he does not start making strides in his development. 

I think there are many more important players to this team than Schenn.    Although, I believe Schenn is the one that needs to step it up for this team to make the playoffs.  

Edited by murraycraven

In all seriousness, I would imagine that Schenn has a higher value on himself than the Flyers do at this point.

His agent set him up with a ridiculous contract that had bonus clauses in it that would have been somewhat difficult for Crosby to have hit in his first three seasons. It seems they had lofty expectations from the jump.

Well when the Flyers traded Richards to LA and Schenn was part of the deal, people were saying Schenn is in the Mike Richards mold. This year is his time to step up and produce so maybe Homer and the Flyers are waiting to see that before committing.

He's 22 ******* years old, buried on a depth chart because le fraud Briere had to play C. Patience. Or would you rather he develop around 24-25, on the Maple Queefs?

It might hurt, but this is part of patience. Guys need time to develop. The lockout and JOKE of a season certainly didn't help.

• Like 1

Well when the Flyers traded Richards to LA and Schenn was part of the deal, people were saying Schenn is in the Mike Richards mold. This year is his time to step up and produce so maybe Homer and the Flyers are waiting to see that before committing.

Richards was described as the prototypical two way 2/3 line center. Schenn was, as I understand it, seen with a lot more offensive "Top 6" upside. Certainly his contract bonus structures (which included, IIRC, things like Top 10 in scoring, making the All Star team and being nominated for a major award).

Definitely his time to put up and/or shut up. Flyers should want to see more and Schenn should want to show more.

He's 22 ****** years old, buried on a depth chart because le fraud Briere had to play C. Patience. Or would you rather he develop around 24-25, on the Maple Queefs?

It might hurt, but this is part of patience. Guys need time to develop. The lockout and JOKE of a season certainly didn't help.

Who was that guy that "had to" sign Briere to an eight-year deal as the "#1 C" for the Flyers? :ph34r:

Doom... No doubt he has the talent but he has not come as advertised as far as development is concerned... Tavares, Kane, Duchesne all have played a major part with their respective teams. Hedman as well for a dman... He is 22 and it is time for him to get going....

The Flyers are going to need him this season to produce. Otherwise it will be early tee times.

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven  I agree. It's been 3 years since he totally dominated the World Jr's. Some degree of patience is required, but I wanna see some vast improvement in his game, which I do think we will see. With the right linemates, he eventually has the upside to be a 35 goal, 40 assist 70-80 point guy. Some may scoff at that, but I do believe that's where his upper tier projections should be. The kid still has a legit shot at being a star. He needs confidence in tight to the net. I believe in this kids skill set. A good season for him would be 20 goals and 30 assists for 13-14.

• Like 1

@

The "albatross brothers" combined were about the same caphit as Danny "6 goals, 10 assists", Briere. Braydon alone had 8 goals 18 assists, and his brother was one of our only good defencemen last year. Not to mention one is 22 and the other 23.

Lack of patience has worked so well in the past, let's keep trading young players with potential for guys that used to be good.

• Like 4

FC... I dont get the "albatross" thing and think Brayden will step up this year to be a very good player - I sincerely hope so anyway.  I have been nothing but pleased with Luke Schenn honestly.  He handled huge minutes when this defense was depeted and played very well...