For some reason, I'm really not excited

Guest King Knut

Think is has something to do with the stoppage last year, the subsequent uninspired season, the strange moves in the off season, Giroux's stupid injury after getting his big contract, the way the treated gagne, I don't know.

I'm trying to tell myself it's not because of how bad they look preseason because obviously that doesn't matter, but I'm still not in love with what Labvy's spraying... I dunno, just not sure...

I just have a really bad feeling about this year. God willing I'm just dead wrong.

It's hard to get a good feeling for what they're going to be like.

I don't see how they can possibly be worse than last year.  On paper, they're a slightly better team.  And if they are worse than last year??... maybe it'll mean proper changes from the top down.  I imagine Lavi first and then Homer after the season.  Either way, it'll be eventful!

The worst outcome would be another .500'ish season.  Enough to get lavi canned probably but not enough to get this ship properly refitted.

in the preseason i was disappointed in The big catch of free agency...Vinny IMO was a non-factor and just coasted..i know its preseason but he didn't show me anything..but i'll pass final opinion mid December 

Edited by Irishjim

in the preseason i was disappointed in The big catch of free agency...Vinny IMO was a non-factor and just coasted..i know its preseason but he didn't show me anything..but i'll pass final opinion mid December 

@irish

Vinny doesn't need to impress anyone in the pre-season. Regular season he will be impressive.

@irish

Vinny doesn't need to impress anyone in the pre-season. Regular season he will be impressive.

i wasn't looking for him to get hat tricks and high-lite real plays just show me something. G's first game back his third shift he was all over the place...vinny not so much...I'm Not down on him and reserve the bashing till mid late december. i just wanted to see some flashes of his skill like i've seen for the last 14 or so years

I just have a really bad feeling about this year.

I'll wait and see how they gel by February , myself i'm just happy Bryz is gone...

...so they can concentrate on hockey and their responsibilities within the system and for God sakes eliminate all the blind drop passes that result into turnover they other way, i like the composition of the roster and depth building finally on the farm it seems....solid consistent goaltending can keep it from turning into compost.

Something Bryz just couldn't do.

The Flyers can learn something just from the Eagles. I like this Chip Kelly quote same could be said for the Fly guys the last two years.

“Sometimes the enemy that we play isn't the other team,” Kelly said, “it's ourselves.”-Chip Kelly

I agree.

I think you are like most knut... At best this team is a 6-8 seed IMO and I expect another playoff miss. To many what ifs for this roster. Defense, goaltending, inconsistent offense, and questions surrounding our youths progression is to much to overcome...

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

Eh, who knows... I think they have addressed most of the issues that plagued them last year, now did they do it with the right players? Streit is an upgrade over last year, plus he's not near as bad a defensive player as I've been reading here, I watched the playoffs, he nutted up and was solid. Lecavalier is a huge upgrade over Briere. I'm not even going to really talk about Bryz not being a Flyer , but that' sand upgrade. Couterier will not be as bad as he was last year, there is no way, that kid is going to be as bad as he was last year. I am cautiously optimistic. Maybe not a cup favorite this year, but I think they can grow to be be a team no one wants to play. I have hope.

I'm like any other fan, I want to see good hockey and I want the Flyers to win! However, I'm just happy it's hockey season and I get to go to some Flyers games again! 

Also the NHL Package is cheaper this year by $20.00 but never the less, cheaper. 

• Like 1

@King Knut

I feel the same way.  And mentioned it in the shoutbox the other day.  Less than thrilling UFA signings(not bad players, just not great contracts).  Bad preseason, yeah it's preseason, but it was pretty pathetic hockey at times.  Major questions in goal...again.  Even though I'm glad Bryz is HISTORY.

Bottom line for me..I'm hoping for great season, but expecting this team to struggle to make the playoffs.  

Think is has something to do with the stoppage last year, the subsequent uninspired season, the strange moves in the off season, Giroux's stupid injury after getting his big contract, the way the treated gagne, I don't know.

I'm trying to tell myself it's not because of how bad they look preseason because obviously that doesn't matter, but I'm still not in love with what Labvy's spraying... I dunno, just not sure...

I just have a really bad feeling about this year. God willing I'm just dead wrong.

If they don't have a fast start, they're going to blow it up by x-mas.

Eh, who knows... I think they have addressed most of the issues that plagued them last year, now did they do it with the right players? Streit is an upgrade over last year, plus he's not near as bad a defensive player as I've been reading here, I watched the playoffs, he nutted up and was solid. Lecavalier is a huge upgrade over Briere. I'm not even going to really talk about Bryz not being a Flyer , but that' sand upgrade. Couterier will not be as bad as he was last year, there is no way, that kid is going to be as bad as he was last year. I am cautiously optimistic. Maybe not a cup favorite this year, but I think they can grow to be be a team no one wants to play. I have hope.

Well hello there!

King:

I share many of your thoughts/beliefs.  As others say here, you are not the only one.  Part of the problem with this team, especially for older fans, may be the post-first strike inconsistency. I've said it before. If you think about this team since '04-'05 you have two of the worst seasons in franchise history coupled with an SCF and some serious runs. Old timers are used to this team being consistently good. I think the salary cap has done something and it may be that management is not as good as we thought.  Younger fans may not appreciate it. Older fans may wonder what's up. So I understand where you are coming from.

Best,

Howie

Yeah...The pre-season got me really "unexcited" about this team. I know I know.....Preseason. But still.....COME ON. To have your GM make public statements about a slow start to the pre-season after a bad year last year.....having to call people out already......yadda yadda yadda. The negativity and excuses have already begun.

I look at this team's roster and think to myself.....MAN, we gotta be better than this. Hartnell needs to return to form BIG TIME. Schenn, Coots, and Reid are the big quiestions in my book.....Hopefully Voracheck, Giroux and Vinny have good years cuz to me thats 3 REALLY good forwards rigth there....

Oh yeah, and goaltending. Looks like another "wait and see" season.........

when's that baby going to show up ?

***taps foot ****

any day now right ?

best of luck & wishes and stuff.

bobby ryan

Haha Frankie the 3rd, or FGIII as I call him, was supposed to make his first appearance on Sunday.  He is now officially running behind, and my wife is not one for tardiness. haha

She's definitely ready.

Thank you and thank you. 

Now on to the more serious stuff...The Flyers begin Wednesday.  haha jk obviously

Super pumped to see what this team will do in a full season with a full training camp.  I expect the youngins (Schenn & Coots) to take their games to the next level.  I'm also really interested in seeing how the goaltending tandem will work out.  I hope Mason can provide more of the flash he showed toward the end of last season.

If the kids can't play and the goalies let too many biscuits in the basket we could be looking at a repeat of last year.

Now that Bobby Ryan is a Senator (the team, not congress) (although I might consider voting for him) I feel I have to distance myself from him as I am sure he will not become a Flyer in the near future.  I will now have to find a new trade target to dwell on. 

I have decided that I want Kris Versteeg back from FLA.  Second time's the charm, right?  <----That comment comes with a limited amount of sarcasm.  I like Versteeg as a player.  He should have gotten more time.

They looked pretty bad in the preseason.

You'd think that our defense would have been much-improved, but not so much.

I'm really hoping that the young guns (Schenn, Cooter, etc.) make big strides this season.  If that happens, we'll be pretty good.  We'll see.

I'll wait and see how they gel by February , myself i'm just happy Bryz is gone...

AMEN to that!

Also the NHL Package is cheaper this year by $20.00 but never the less, cheaper.

wonders never cease right? Almost couldn't believe it. It hasn't been $160 (early-bird) for like 5 years at least.

If they don't have a fast start, they're going to blow it up by x-mas.

I think you're dead on with this - "Goodbye Laviolette" - that's what I see anyway. If they're under .500 at Christmas Lavy will be ringing in the New Year without a job. The Flyers have looked like crap for a long time now...the preseason, all last season and the season before, ending in the embarrassment of getting swept by the Devils - and worst of all looking totally clueless in the process.

A lot of you guys have been saying this for awhle but it bears repeating: since Pronger went out it seems like Lavy's made no adjustment. He lets the guys freestyle on offense, which I'm sure they love but this team has serious issues on TEAM D. Forwards who don't backcheck have to be held accountable early. Lavy should send a message that TEAM D is a priority. (I doubt he'll do it but anything's possible; he knows he's on the hot seat)

- We've upgraded goaltending and our D is healthy. In the final preseson game I saw Coburn get a shot through from the point all the way to the goalie (true story). That means either we're in for more minor miracles from him this year or else that was it, he shot his load offensively and he's done till next season. (!)

- We got a big, experienced center who hopefuly has something to prove. It's been a long time for him too since he put up "elite NHL forward" numbers.

- B. Schenn, Couturier, Read, Simmonds should all be looking for big seasons. I don't know if Simmonds can put it all together - all his skills, speed and compete level - but if he does Look Out. He has it in him to lead the team in hits (or just behind Zac) and points.

- I predict Hartnell will score 30+ goals again if he stays healthy. He actually looked good the little I saw of him in preseason. Whether it's VL and Giroux or Jake and Giroux Hartnell knows his spot is just off the post. He'll knock in plenty of garbage goals if his line clicks and I think it will, even better than it did with Jagr.

- Giroux I don't worry about at all. If he's healthy he'll do everything he can to win his shifts. He's got even more competetive drive than Richards has on Richards' best nights - and for me that's saying a lot.

- The question marks are the goaltenders. As usual. But I have confidence in Emery, always have, I always liked him even in his FU-World days in Ottawa. He won't go 17-1 obviously but I think he gives us a realistic chance of winning when he's in net. Mason didn't get to play much with the "A" squad in preseason so with him only time will tell. Probably it'll take too long for Laviolette. Handling goaltenders isn't exactly his strength.

I'm psyched for the season. This Flyers team has to be better than the ones we've seen the last couple years. It's up to Lavy to hammer some TEAM D into these guys. He's got his work cut out for him and if the story today in philly.com is right* there's not much patience around the Flyers these days.

*http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131001_Holmgren_sees_tough_road_ahead.html

• Like 1

I think you are like most knut... At best this team is a 6-8 seed IMO and I expect another playoff miss.

I hate to be a pessimist, but that's what I sort of foresee as well. I can see a hard fight for the last spot and not getting in at the end. I just don't know how much has changed. The defense remains suspect. I think Streit will undoubtedly help in terms of moving the puck out of the zone and starting the rush, but all in all, they still have almost the same exact issues: Timonen is only getting older and I really don't know how much he even have left. I don't know how much better Coburn can be - I really believe we have seen his ceiling. I think Grossmann is starting breaking down and God only know what will happen to Mesz. Probably the most exciting part about this defense is looking forward to Gus and possibly Oliver making significant strides.

And the goaltending is another big question. Like many - if not all - I am relieved to see that nutcase Bryz and his salary hit gone for good. But is Emery the guy who can take this team far enough?

If the forwards stay healthy, this is clearly the Flyers' strength. We'll see... On a flip side, I don't see a clear frontrunner in the Metropolitan Division. The Rangers have some serious voids. The Islanders will probably continue steadily get better and I think they will again finish the season higher in standings that the Flyers. The Capitals, Jackets, and Hurricanes don't scare me. The Devils, I think, are doomed, although you never know with that team. The Pens remain the class of the division, but if Letang is going to miss some significant time, they may be in trouble.

It will be interesting this season.

• Like 1

I think the defense is much better for having Streit because having him enables The others to do what they do best in stead of having to try to do everything.

If course my problem is that I don't trust them to stay healthy and I in no way trust Lavvy to coach them to do what they do best.

Healthy, this D is really impressive. Really.

I don't expect health.

Goaltending can't be the problem. Emery and mason are serviceable. If the team is losing and we blame the goalies, it will have been utterly unpredictable. Thy are a safe though not heart stopping tandem. If the team is doing poorly it will almost definitely lot be their fault. We should probably be looking elsewhere if we think it is.

I hate to be a pessimist, but that's what I sort of foresee as well. I can see a hard fight for the last spot and not getting in at the end. I just don't know how much has changed. The defense remains suspect. I think Streit will undoubtedly help in terms of moving the puck out of the zone and starting the rush, but all in all, they still have almost the same exact issues: Timonen is only getting older and I really don't know how much he even have left. I don't know how much better Coburn can be - I really believe we have seen his ceiling. I think Grossmann is starting breaking down and God only know what will happen to Mesz. Probably the most exciting part about this defense is looking forward to Gus and possibly Oliver making significant strides...significant time, they may be in trouble.

I think the defense is much better for having Streit because having him enables The others to do what they do best in stead of having to try to do everything.

If course my problem is that I don't trust them to stay healthy and I in no way trust Lavvy to coach them to do what they do best.

Healthy, this D is really impressive. Really.

I don't expect health.

Goaltending can't be the problem. Emery and mason are serviceable. If the team is losing and we blame the goalies, it will have been utterly unpredictable. Thy are a safe though not heart stopping tandem. If the team is doing poorly it will almost definitely lot be their fault. We should probably be looking elsewhere if we think it is.

I hate to be a pessimist, but that's what I sort of foresee as well. I can see a hard fight for the last spot and not getting in at the end. I just don't know how much has changed. The defense remains suspect. I think Streit will undoubtedly help in terms of moving the puck out of the zone and starting the rush, but all in all, they still have almost the same exact issues: Timonen is only getting older and I really don't know how much he even have left. I don't know how much better Coburn can be - I really believe we have seen his ceiling. I think Grossmann is starting breaking down and God only know what will happen to Mesz. Probably the most exciting part about this defense is looking forward to Gus and possibly Oliver making significant strides...significant time, they may be in trouble.