Lavy out, Berube in

albertaflyer

Good article...  but one thing that makes me leary is the fact this Team has had Berube on the bench for a few years.   They hear his voice daily...  If the system does not change it will be more of the same.

"Berube will provide a fresh voice to the players, who will likely respond to him in a positive way. Look for John Paddock to do the heavy lifting when it comes to tactics and doing something with a patchwork defensive corps that needs a lot of work. Ian Laperriere will be a constant reminder to those wearing the orange and black exactly what putting that uniform on stands for and the sacrifices they need to make every game."

Well, that is all fantastically great but can Berube and Lappy actually Coach?   Being bold is one thing... being bold and actually making the right decisions is something that is entirely different.

Edited by murraycraven

I really look at this from two perspectives.... A) Snider ordered Homer to fire Lavi.....or B)Homer acted independently. My money is on the A scenario. This means Homer (AKA the Teflon don of GM's) is more than safe. Think about it, why would Homer be so impatient, and put his head one spot away from the chopping block. It's in Homer's best interest if he allows Lavi to come back from this start.

This has Snider interfering written all over it. It reeks of it. Homer is as safe today as he was yesterday if that is true. Now, he has even more slack, because he "didn't get to conduct a full search, and Berube would not have been his first choice....ha....ha. This franchise is PATHETIC.

I really look at this from two perspectives.... A) Snider ordered Homer to fire Lavi.....or B)Homer acted independently. My money is on the A scenario. This means Homer (AKA the Teflon don of GM's) is more than safe. Think about it, why would Homer be so impatient, and put his head one spot away from the chopping block. It's in Homer's best interest if he allows Lavi to come back from this start.

This has Snider interfering written all over it. It reeks of it. Homer is as safe today as he was yesterday if that is true. Now, he has even more slack, because he "didn't get to conduct a full search, and Berube would not have been his first choice....ha....ha. This franchise is PATHETIC.

I'm not so sure about that. I would bet that Homer is gone if the Flyers miss the playoffs.

I agree. I don't see how it is anything but that. It's classic reactionary, irrational, and short-sighted stuff we've seen from Snider for years. Homer has his flaws, but Snider is the one who has fired coach-after-coach for years now.

@jammer2 - in this case I think it was Homer's decision. Here are some quotes from his and Snider's PC today:

Homer: 

I made the decision last night on the plane when we came back from Carolina [after Sunday's 2-1 loss], and here we are today.

Did it enter my mind [during the summer] that we needed a fresh voice, maybe new ideas? [No], I like Peter. I thought he deserved another opportunity. We made some changes during the summer that got us all excited. It was a fleeting thought [to fire Laviolette during the summer]. But at the end of the day, I just think - going back, I think it was the right thing to do at the time, too: to start training camp, start the year with Peter. I just didn't like what I was seeing [now], and it's a gut decision.

This is just a gut feeling on my part. Right now, we're just not playing the way we have to play. We're not playing well enough to win in the National Hockey League, and that's got to change. Now, whether it's fresh ideas or a new voice, I'm not going to try to sit here and pinpoint - that's up to Craig. That's his job. But I didn't like the direction the team was heading [in], and I think we needed a change.

Snider:

It's a tough day when you have to let somebody go. But Paul felt it was time to make a change, and I would never say to Paul, "You can't make a change."

It's Paul's job to make these kinds of decisions. From my own point of view, I'm very disappointed in the start that we've had, and quite frankly I was very disappointed in the preseason that we had. I'm hoping for better. We always try to make the team as good as we possibly can, and sometimes we're not right. Hopefully this time it will work out on our behalf.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/Flyers_GM_Paul_Holmgren_Firing_Peter_Laviolette_a_gut_feeling.html

Edited by JackStraw

@JackStraw  Ahhh, nice find strawman. I can't see them lying to *that* extent, unless Snider ordered the whole lie to cover up his interference....but unlikely. So, we are that much closer to the end of the Homer era....a positive out of this befuddled mess of a season!!

Great interview with Berube on FAN 590.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Craig-Berube-with-Daren-Millard,-Nick-Kypreos-and-Doug-MacLean-hc-20131007-Interview.mp3

I wish The Fanatic would cover the FLyers like this.

Very good interview and I like (a lot) what Berube said about the issues with the team. I think he identified the problems very well, lack of chemistry, not playing as a team, not playing well without the puck. If he can fix those things we should see considerable improvement.

• Like 1

@JackStraw  Ahhh, nice find strawman. I can't see them lying to *that* extent, unless Snider ordered the whole lie to cover up his interference....but unlikely. So, we are that much closer to the end of the Homer era....a positive out of this befuddled mess of a season!!

Yeah, I don't doubt Snider's capacity to interfere but they both seem to be on the same page here. And Homer has been around long enough that I'm sure he could see the same problems that everyone else sees.

Very good interview and I like (a lot) what Berube said about the issues with the team. I think he identified the problems very well, lack of chemistry, not playing as a team, not playing well without the puck. If he can fix those things we should see considerable improvement.

I also liked his answer to "Is the team tough enough?" He basically said we're not in the 70s and 80s anymore. The modern game is fast, and you need to be on guys all the time.

I also liked his answer to "Is the team tough enough?" He basically said we're not in the 70s and 80s anymore. The modern game is fast, and you need to be on guys all the time.

Yeah, not exactly the answer you would expect from him. But definitely the correct answer.

Thanks for the link Brelic. Great interview. So... it sounds like I should be HC. Berube basically quoted my post from yesterday.

"It starts with TEAM D"

"they're not playing like a team"

"it's about speed, making quicker decisions."

"We played a great 2 periods" [opening night] "after that they got frustrated."

"I don't put any of [the losses] on the goaltenders."

Maybe this will work out okay. If Berube really does emphasize (demand) TEAM D FIRST we will see a totally new look from the Flyers. I'm happy Laviolette is history, it's time to see what these players are made of. I've been saying we're "obviously better" this year, the players Homer brought in are an upgrade...etc. A lot of you disagree. It won't be long before we know.

It's a good interview, but as I was listening to it, I couldn't help but think how similar his "testomony" sounds to Bill Butler Barber when he was given the reigns.  He is throwing around a lot of these "passion", "discipline", "work as a team"... yada yada yada.....  And that's all nice and good, but I have hard time actually picturing Craig Berube devising clever plays; drawing some unpredictable schemes; changing on the fly as the game proceeds; shifting to a different tactics...

He will probably resurrect the winning culture for a while, and the players will respond.  So at least in a short term, I think just a mere fact of the change will breed results. It usually doesn.  But I am really unconvinced this team, coached by Craig Berube, will go too far and win it all.  I hope to be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Edited by radoran
fixed it for you ;)
  • Like 1

One of the remarks I heard was "players will skate through a wall for Berube".....Well if he is on the ice chasing them for something stupid or lazy, what do they think is going to happen....I am more than willing to give the Chief a chance to prove that he has what it takes. Himself and Joey Mullen are the reason that PP/PK are at the level they are. I hope they can translate that to the 5 on 5 too.

Lappy is another good addition. He has the repect of every breathing soul on that team, and if he doesn't, they don't belong here. I think you are going to see the players actually pushed more with Lappy and Paddock around.

One of the remarks I heard was "players will skate through a wall for Berube".....Well if he is on the ice chasing them for something stupid or lazy, what do they think is going to happen....I am more than willing to give the Chief a chance to prove that he has what it takes. Himself and Joey Mullen are the reason that PP/PK are at the level they are. I hope they can translate that to the 5 on 5 too.

Lappy is another good addition. He has the repect of every breathing soul on that team, and if he doesn't, they don't belong here. I think you are going to see the players actually pushed more with Lappy and Paddock around.

I don't doubt the players respect Berube and Lappy.  I am not questioning they will play hard for him.  But again, usually this tactic is short-lived.  You can be a great motivator, players can respect the hell out of you, but at the end of a day, you still need to know how to coach.  And I just don't know if Berube has it in him.  Maybe - maybe not. 

I don't doubt the players respect Berube and Lappy.  I am not questioning they will play hard for him.  But again, usually this tactic is short-lived.  You can be a great motivator, players can respect the hell out of you, but at the end of a day, you still need to know how to coachAnd I just don't know if Berube has it in him.  Maybe - maybe not. 

Exactly. I would just like to see him given a chance before his effigy is hanging  and burning on Broad Street. 90+ percent of the people here have no clue as to his actual coaching abililty but want him gone. I want him to have at least a chance to prove himself.

• Like 2

Lots of times these fringe NHL players and tough guy types wind up being decent coaches, because they had to work so hard to stay valuable in the league they learn the game's finer points. Chief was one of "those" players, so he may be a decent coach, i think the great player transitioning to great  coach is more rare than the blysma , berube, quennville  model.  

i would like to see what he brings to the table before i flip out and start burning merchandise, plus there's this we can say that our coach can beat up your coach to just about every other team in the league... so there's that.

Exactly. I would just like to see him given a chance before his effigy is hanging  and burning on Broad Street. 90+ percent of the people here have no clue as to his actual coaching abililty but want him gone. I want him to have at least a chance to prove himself.

To me you let a guy prove himself when you fire a coach mid to 3/4 of the way when you have written off the season.  You slap the interim tag on him and let him prove himself.   This early in the year if you are firing you better bring in someone with head coaching experience.   You already gambled by bringing Lavy back seeing as how this team has declined on his watch.   Giving the job to Berube is pretty much doubling down at this point. 

Happy to give Berube a shot. Have no choice, really. Have reservations, but hope springs eternal.

But if all of these guys are "willing to run through walls" for Berube, why haven't they been doing it for their assistant coach?

Happy to give Berube a shot. Have no choice, really. Have reservations, but hope springs eternal.

But if all of these guys are "willing to run through walls" for Berube, why haven't they been doing it for their assistant coach?

maybe b/c he was just the asst coach and not the "Head Coach" :ph34r: