Anyone else disappointed by last night's game?

Guest gp926

I know they won, but the goals were two very lucky bounces. They had some zone time but not enough against a bad Florida team. Mason was awesome. 0/5 on PP, and didn't generate many chances (it didn't look like they were moving bodies much at all, just standing and waiting for lanes to open up for passes).

Not knocking Berube because it'll take time for them to adopt his approach (from what I can tell he wants the team to be more responsible without the puck - swing deeper for support and focus more on filling in for each other defensively than sending people on the forecheck like Lavy liked). But even the worst teams win 1 in 4. Please someone tell me I'm crazy and they looked better last night or something.

PS Rinaldo may have been the best skater on the ice these first 4 games

Please someone tell me I'm crazy and they looked better last night or something.

well, they looked a lot better a 20:00 of the third than they did the previous 3 games.

they still look rough, no doubt, but last night looked more like talented players out of sync than untalented players out of sync.  they began to pull their heads out of their asses.  a step in the right direction, anyway.

I agree with you. They did not look very good. Those two goals against Thomas do not happen against Markstrom or virtually any other goaltender in the league.

Seems like Florida was in our zone much more than the opposite. Our PP did not look very good. Giroux looks completely lost and is now on the 2nd line, even if they won't call it that.

But... we won!

So, baby steps. The fundamental problems on this team are not going away overnight.

It is very early, but this looks far from a playoff team. We'll know more next week after facing some real teams.

I was not disappointed because I was not expecting much!  I agree with you though, that it was not a pretty win and it did nothing to make me think that everything is now moving in the right direction.  Of course, it is not realistic to think that Berube would have righted this sinking ship after one practice.  I wish I could tell you that you are crazy and they looked amazing, but I saw exactly what you saw.  It's just gonna take patience from everyone.

Not disappointed only because I didn't expect them to win. They were overwhelmed in there own zone many times.  The goals they did score were fluky.  They generate little offense even strength. The top line is pathetic.  And all this is against Florida....Florida!  The next 10-12 games against quality opponents could already be the end of the season if they don't come around.

Mason had great game though.  He's the reason they won.

Not disappointed only because I didn't expect them to win. They were overwhelmed in there own zone many times.  The goals they did score were fluky.  They generate little offense even strength. The top line is pathetic.  And all this is against Florida....Florida!  The next 10-12 games against quality opponents could already be the end of the season if they don't come around.

Mason had great game though.  He's the reason they won.

They were lacking the "monkey trying to copulate with a football" look that they've had for the better part of the last 51 games, and that's a start.

Unfortunately, it was more because Florida looked like an infinite number of monkeys trying to write Shakespeare by humping an infinite number of footballs.

And it was still a 2-1 nailbiter of a win.

I'll say this for them, Mason played good enough to win the game.

Still need more time for Chief's influence to show; time which would have been much better spent in September than keeping a coach long enough to have "the worst preseason [Ed Snider] has ever seen."

One comment about the two "lucky bounces" that led to the Flyers goals. It's funny how if you do the right things the lucky bounces tend to go your way. In both of those cases, they shot the puck (ok, both missed the net but still) and someone was following up the play and in position for a rebound (or lucky bounce). If they consistently do those kinds of things, I think we'll see them getting lucky more often.

• Like 2

The way they won was ugly...okay.  I think they need to relearn how to play.  Some of these guys have never actually had a system other than attack...attack...attack.  It needed to be more than that, and it just wasn't.  Schenn and Couturier and Read have pretty much known nothing but Lavy's "system".  

It is going to take the guys some time to figure out how to play again and for Berube to put in place his system.  Look back at the coaches Berube played for and coached under and my guess is you will see some blend of them to get what he wants to do.  My guess is they will play much much harder and much more defensive in the long run. 

One comment about the two "lucky bounces" that led to the Flyers goals. It's funny how if you do the right things the lucky bounces tend to go your way. In both of those cases, they shot the puck (ok, both missed the net but still) and someone was following up the play and in position for a rebound (or lucky bounce). If they consistently do those kinds of things, I think we'll see them getting lucky more often.

BINGO!

we're they perfect? no but what can you expect when they are literally learning the system the day of the game. They had effort which was a nice change...

The system is not going to be implemented in 1, 2 or 8 games . It is a work in progress....

As jack said.... You start doing the little things well and the chances and bounces will come your way.

BINGO!

I loved that song when I was a kid...

There was a farmer who had a dog,
And Bingo was his name-o.
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O

There was a farmer who had a dog,
(clap)-I-N-G-O
(clap)-I-N-G-O