Downie is Back!

hf101

I think for most of us, this isn't about Talbot (I like the guy, but what was he doing, really?).

For most of us, this is unbridled Downie hate.

Yeah, I never liked Downie. But it seems like Talbot was being pushed out... no clear role, no clear position.

• Like 2

.508 p/g versus .299 p/g is pretty substantial. Whatever else you may think about Downie, has has roughly the same point total as talbot in just over half the games played.

Downie has been in teh league since 2007.  He had one 22-goal season, two 10-goal seasons and the rest was noise.

Talbot has been in the league since 2005.  He had one 19-goal season, three 12+ goal seasons, and the rest was noise.

How is this an upgrade offensively?

Avs fans on hfboards are hating on this trade. The only reason they can come up with is that maybe Downie will want too much money on his next contract. If Homer can sign him for decent $$$ then it's a solid good trade in my book.

Yep, sounds like a 5-year 20-mil contract wrapped with an NTC/NMC is in order.

• Like 1

Yeah, I never liked Downie. But it seems like Talbot was being pushed out... no clear role, no clear position.

It's honestly been like that since he got here. They tried to make him the hockey equivalent of a utility infielder.

And who takes Talbot's place on the PK? One has to assume that with Downie on the team (semi-reformed as he may be) there certainly won't be fewer penalties to kill.

Rinaldo?

Ok, I couldn't say that with a straight face... but it is one of Laperriere's projects!

I'm guessing Coots, Giroux, Read, Hall/Rinaldo will kill penalties.

@brelic

who in their mind (besides Holmgren) would want Hartnell at that price tag?

Dunno.. a team like Edmonton comes to mind. They have cap space and could use a personality like Hartnell.

Maybe we could trade him for Ben Eager and get the band back together.

• Like 1

Downie has been in teh league since 2007.  He had one 22-goal season, two 10-goal seasons and the rest was noise.

Talbot has been in the league since 2005.  He had one 19-goal season, three 12+ goal seasons, and the rest was noise.

How is this an upgrade offensively?

Talbot: 154 pts in 515 GP (career)

Downie: 145 pts in 285 GP (career)

That's a pretty big difference imo.

Only Philly fans who saw Downie for a short stint don't like this trade. Fans of every other team including the Avs can't figure why you'd trade an integral part of one of the hottest lines in the league for Talbot. I certainly don't see this as a bad trade from Homers perspective. Worst case scenario we lose a not so great contract for part of a season of Downie...who I'm sure we could move at the deadline for a decent pick.

Dunno.. a team like Edmonton comes to mind. They have cap space and could use a personality like Hartnell.

Maybe we could trade him for Ben Eager and get the band back together.

OK, now pretend you're Scott Hartnell.

Do YOU want to go to EDMONTON? (3-9-2, last in the Pacific)

OK, now pretend you're Scott Hartnell.

Do YOU want to go to EDMONTON? (3-9-2, last in the Pacific)

Well, they're better than the Flyers.

And if Hartnell is faced with being a 3rd/4th liner here, maybe he thinks the tundra isn't so bad.

PLUS, dude is from Saskatchewan, so he knows what it's all aboot.