Downie and VLC out

King Knut

Because they got their asses handed to them in fights.

I'm not even jokin anymore. What the hell... Excuse the... THE HELL is going on?

I'm sorry... WHAT???????

I'm completely lost. I don't understand what just happened. At all.

The team needs to hold a press conference and straight up an honestly tell the fans what the HELL is going on.

This is now just too weird to be ignored anymore. Something odd and totally anomalous is happening and I damn well want to know what it is.

For Giroux and Berube to NOT hold a pressed and explain themselves is more inexcusable than the losses although what happened to ought is pretty damned well inexcusable.

To all you who want to keep he youth base, I need you to answer one question: why?

How is anyone in this team worthy of investing more into?

I have liked Read and Coots so far and Mason was great until tonight, but even so... Why bother keeping any if them at this point? What would be the point?

Trade them all for first rounders I've the next two or three years and start from scratch. They can't do worse.

Kind:

I had to teach tonight. And I had a feeling this would be a game to miss. My feeling was right. 

You are right. This is an extraordinary implosion of a franchise that on paper, should be at least .500. 

With the exception or Read, VLC, and Mason, I would not be connected to anyone and think of all of them as expendable. 

Best,

Howie

• Like 1

Because they got their asses handed to them in fights.

I'm not even jokin anymore. What the hell... Excuse the... THE HELL is going on?

I'm sorry... WHAT???????

I'm completely lost. I don't understand what just happened. At all.

The team needs to hold a press conference and straight up an honestly tell the fans what the HELL is going on.

This is now just too weird to be ignored anymore. Something odd and totally anomalous is happening and I damn well want to know what it is.

For Giroux and Berube to NOT hold a pressed and explain themselves is more inexcusable than the losses although what happened to ought is pretty damned well inexcusable.

To all you who want to keep he youth base, I need you to answer one question: why?

How is anyone in this team worthy of investing more into?

I have liked Read and Coots so far and Mason was great until tonight, but even so... Why bother keeping any if them at this point? What would be the point?

Trade them all for first rounders I've the next two or three years and start from scratch. They can't do worse.

i have been saying that for 2 years now. The idea that "coots" (ugh) is going to develop because he's only 20 and b schenn is destined for stardom because he's only 22 is laughable.

There are plenty of players in the NHL who are outperforming them and are their age... or even younger.

The bottom line is this: YOU DON'T NEED TO BE "OLD" TO PLAY HARD EVERY SHIFT and there are far too many games / shifts that both of them take off - and there is simply no excuse for it. Other than they are young, of course. PLEASE!

• Like 1

watching the game I kept getting the feeling the players were sending a message to Berube. It sure looked that way. There were times during the game when the Caps were cycling the puck and no one in the O&B came anywhere near pressuing the puck. I mean the Flyers were literally 5, 6 feet away and just watched the Caps go to work.

It really did look like "Oh yeah Coach? Well FU! Here's what you get for _____________"

Lord knows I hope I'm wrong - and I can't see how Berube could've "lost the room" already. But boy it was ugly out there last night.

watching the game I kept getting the feeling the players were sending a message to Berube. It sure looked that way

You aren't the only one.  If I didn't say it in the game chat last night then I was at least thinking it.  To many beers.  

But I agree with you.  I think that was a statement game to someone.  Homer?  Berube?  Pissed about Talbot or Downie?  Or there is a real rift in the locker room.

IMO that was more than just a 7-0 ass whipping that happens to all teams at least 1x during the season.  They quit for some reason.

Yep I have to believe something is seriously wrong - or "going on" - in that locker room.

It's hard to see how losing Talbot or acquiring Downie could cause so much turmoil...but nothing is off the table at this point.

Yep I have to believe something is seriously wrong - or "going on" - in that locker room.

It's hard to see how losing Talbot or acquiring Downie could cause so much turmoil...but nothing is off the table at this point.

Is there another "room" in the league that has had the consistent problems that this one has had on a systemic, endemic level despite wholesale turnovers of the roster and coach?

If Lavi and Berube have lost the locker room in less than a quarter season, then who is good enough for this team to find and hold it?  Bunch of spoiled kids is what this group has turned in to.  They want someone who won't make them work or hold them accountable?  They want someone who will let them run the show, call the plays, set the rules?  What are they waiting for in or from a coach?  This is all on the individual players at this point.  And that's part of the problem -- there's no team.

Oh, and got to love the whole Downie experiment.  Trade away Talbot, bring in Downie, who plays two periods and then gets his A$$ kicked, and then promptly goes out indefinitely.  Beautiful.  What an awesome contribution.  Pretty ineffective, really. This team is snakebit and so apparently is anyone who joins it.  Totally bizarre.  I'm 44 years old and have been watching the Flyers since I was five orsix and I've never seen anything like this season.  Sure there have been tough ones before and recently to boot.  But this season is just spooky wierd. 

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

watching the game I kept getting the feeling the players were sending a message to Berube. It sure looked that way. There were times during the game when the Caps were cycling the puck and no one in the O&B came anywhere near pressuing the puck. I mean the Flyers were literally 5, 6 feet away and just watched the Caps go to work.

It really did look like "Oh yeah Coach? Well FU! Here's what you get for _____________"

Lord knows I hope I'm wrong - and I can't see how Berube could've "lost the room" already. But boy it was ugly out there last night.

"SENDING A MESSAGE TO BERUBE?"    What message: WE ARE EVEN WORSE THAN YOU THOUGHT?

The team just stinks. Stop making excuses, already, and see them for what they are: TERRIBLE.

Is there another "room" in the league that has had the consistent problems that this one has had on a systemic, endemic level despite wholesale turnovers of the roster and coach?

seriously.  that is the thing that is way beyond anything i can understand or explain.  we have been here, on philly.com before that, on clarkemustgo.com before that, and don't even remember what before that...having versions of this same conversation.  forever.  on some level that shows that this, too, shall pass, and there are probably good games and good seasons ahead, but....on every other level, there is something deeply wrong with this organization.  deeply, like, beyond the people involved.  what that would be, i have no idea.  i remember trying to figure out if it was possible that someone was poisoning the water in the flyers' water bottles when they were ushered out of the 2002 playoffs, having managed 2 goals in 5 games (is that a standing record, having 4 shutouts in one playoff series, losing 3 of them?).  like, actually trying to work out if that could reasonably be happening, because how else to explain jeremy roenick, simon gagne, mark recchi, john leclair, keith primeau, and justin williams managing not a single point among them in 5 games.

this is a team that for some reason becomes cataclysmically bad every so often, regardless of who the players are, who the coach is, who the GM is.  happened under hitchcock, barber, stevens, laviolette, now berube.  the ship steered by clarke and holmgren.  happened when the team was built around roenick, around forsberg, around richards, around giroux.  when the goaltending was good and bad and bizarre and normal.  when the defense was the envy of the league and when it was barely AHL capable.  when there were lots of kids around and when it was a bunch of old guys.  whatever the mix, we've seen the flyers go completely t|ts-up.  

i know that leaves snider, but he can't have any effect minute to minute, not in a way that stops giroux from scoring a single goal 13 games in, can he?  i'm at a complete loss to explain it otherwise, though.  it does really highlight his "don't need a culture change" thing, though, given that this has basically become part of the team's long term personality.

Edited by aziz

@aziz

I think the Flyers have always had the same issues as the Rangers....

Every year, they look good 'on paper' and push the limits of the cap (or when there was no cap they simply were in an arms race).

However, this creates an environment where the pressure is ratcheted up to operatic proportions...which in turn effects the players.

...and then there is the media...

I don't know.. I'm at a loss just like you are. But I really think that Philly is just a hard town for an athlete to relax, have fun, and enjoy the sport they are getting paid to play. It's like you're skating on eggshells every time you hit the ice in this town, and that goes a long way in determining the psyche of an athlete, his confidence, and motivation.