Report: Brayden Schenn for Jake Gardiner Deal Being Discussed

FlyersFan4Life

That might have been something that was being discussed before the Flyers actually started to play hockey again. I don't think we will see any moves made along that line unless there is a major injury to the Flyers blue line AND Mez has been moved.

Yesterday on HockeyCentral Kypreos brought up that Schenn may be available for the right price. (it's really sad that Toronto sports radio stations talk more Flyer hockey than Philly ones do) They agreed the Flyers needed a puck mover on D so Gardiners name came up.

This guy is the next Bobby Orr according to Leaf fans (other than he has FOUR points and Orr was leading the league in points at the same age) To me he's Ghost with ten pounds on him. Great WITH the puck. Plays on a D that allows an average of about 40 shots a game on their poor goaltending. So on a team that scores fairly well and could care a less about their own end this offensive dynamo has 4 assists. I'm not trading Schenn for that....thanks. And unless Homer is taking tips from Nick Kypreos, Doug macLean and Darren Dreger from a noontime hockey discussion, neither are the Flyers.

I wasn't criticizing Holmgren. Just saying where the rumour started and that, unless you're a Leaf fan, it doesn't seem like a very good idea.

I didn't think that you were. If I replied to your post, my bad. I'm having some technical issues today. A couple people jumped right on Homer for this, but I did not think you were one of them.

They agreed the Flyers needed a puck mover on D so Gardiners name came up

I thought that was the whole reason they went out and signed Streit to an unreasonable contract??

If they are still looking for a PMD, then trade Streit for one. Not Brayden Schenn.

OK, I'll chime in here. First off, yes....Gardiner has been slumping offensively with only 4 pts to show for this season. What has not been mentioned is that this kid, as an 18 year old d-man bagged 30 pts and 7 goals. I've watched many games where Jake lifted me right off the friggin couch and left me stunned. He is *that* fast, that dynamic. Here is some video proof, some highlights of Jake's rookie season.

Anyone who just dismisses this potential deal, should really watch this.

As for this year, it's unfair to Jake to not mention that he has been forced to play the wrong side of the ice. For a young d-man, that's a pretty big deal. It could account for his low point total, always receiving the puck on your backhand can take away precious seconds needed to get a legit shot off. Ditto for stickhandling coming up the ice, one of Jake's major skills is slightly stunted due to having the puck on his backhand stickhandling rather than the forehand.

I'm not saying do the deal, I really like B. Schenn and don't think he has come close to the player he can be. What I am saying is it's pretty even in terms of potential for potential.

I will say one more thing. Jake suffered a concussion last year, was sent down to the minors. He apparently has recovered fully, but I'm a tad worried that he *might* not be the same player post concussion as he was before it happened. Not sure if my concerns are accurate, but thought it was worth tossing it out there.

I can only hope that all this talk about trade discussions is old news just making it's way to the media now.

I mean we've been waiting two years plus for guys like Schenn and Jake and Coots and Simmonds to return dividends on all that potential.  Now that it looks like they might be turning a corner and generating some serious team chemistry again, for the first time on their own without the likes of a Jagr or Gagne helping them along the way... Now is when Homer pulls the trigger on a Schenn deal?

Why Homer would be entertaining offers o key players now that they team is winning kinda blows my mind... though I guess it seems like par for the course.

Gardiner has potential but is under-performing?  Why would we trade a guy with potential who WAS under-performing but looks to be coming out of it for a guy with potential who still IS under-performing?

I could understand something like this when the team needed a wake up... but the team is waking up.  They seem to really be developing some chemistry with each other.  Why screw with that for another handful of magic beans with a concussion history?

I just don't understand.  you force these kids into the crucible, temper them with challenges and force leaders to emerge from the tumult and when they start to emerge and look like leaders who are starting to figure out how to make things happen you push them out of town?

I just don't get it.  If Gardiner was so good his rookie year (and yeah, he looked good in the clips), where has he been for the past two seasons?

What has not been mentioned is that this kid, as an 18 year old d-man bagged 30 pts and 7 goals.

Just a note that he was 21 in his rookie year, not 18.

Either way, I don't trade Schenn for him. For some reason, I see Laughton or Couturier being the two that have similar skill sets, and one will probably go.

Brayden Schenn is a guy we need in our top 6. I don't think Coots or Laughton will be top 6 guys. We lack top end skill up front as it is, and Schenn has the potential to be that top end skill.

The Flyers also denied it last night... not that it means anything. 

I feel like it's possible that Homer dangled a few lines a week or two ago and at this stage of the season teams take weeks to contemplate those dangles because there's no particular rush. 

Maybe at some point Homer put that out there.

Also, let's face it.  Any deal for this kid would have to involve at least one or two of our defensemen.  I mean right now who would this kid start in the place of?  Grossman?  Grossman save the game twice last night.  Luke Schenn?  Do you trade both schenns back to Toronto for this kid and JVR?   

The kid's got a lot of potential but the downslide and the concussions are frightening.  Looking at the way he plays and his wreckless skating, he looks like a blue line lindros which to me just feels like a concussion magnet.

FWIW. Darren Dreger reported the Flyers have told the league he could be available as part of a major trade. He reported that LAST NIGHT on NHL Network.

Just a note that he was 21 in his rookie year, not 18.

Either way, I don't trade Schenn for him. For some reason, I see Laughton or Couturier being the two that have similar skill sets, and one will probably go.

Brayden Schenn is a guy we need in our top 6. I don't think Coots or Laughton will be top 6 guys. We lack top end skill up front as it is, and Schenn has the potential to be that top end skill.

Because they're not capable or there's no room for them?

If you're worried about not having room for them, Schenn has been playing wing for the most part. If Vinny is gone Couturier or Laughten could move into the role if they're capable of it. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to moving Vinny to the wing one day if someone younger is ready for that spot. He didn't seem adverse to it from what I can tell about him playing with G for a bit.

But if you don't think they're good enough, that's another story.

Three weeks ago, I'd have traded Schenn for him, but not Coots.

Now I wouldn't trade either.  If he was healthy and playing like he was 2 years ago maybe, but not now with so many question marks and at a time when our guys are finally finding that chemistry and spark that was so absent so painfully absent all year.

Laughton, I mean we don't really have a decent idea of that kid's upside and as he's not really a key part of the current chemistry coalescing, he's the guy most easily risked.

But after Bob and then JVR, if I were Homer I wouldn't trust my own ability to assess any trade involving young talent or the coaching staff I put in charge of them.

Gardiner is playing over 18 minutes a night (down from 21 his rookie year), but that's still decent and suggestive of relative health. 

There's obviously now a lack of production on a team that isn't necessarily having trouble scoring goals.  He was a -2 two years ago which isn't horrible except for the fact that he scored 30 points which for a D man suggests the possibility that he was taking too many risks.  Combine that with the fact that he's a +2 so far this year and isn't scoring much at all and it all suggests that a major change in his game is being coached into him... not sure if that's good or bad.

My question is what does he end up doing on a team that is having trouble scoring goals?  Or at least was.

Personally, if the Leafs are willing to part with the kid, that makes me question the deal.

Edited by King Knut

Because they're not capable or there's no room for them?

I think Couturier is capable of being a 2nd line center. Laughton's ceiling is projected to be 2nd/3rd liner.

I'm just not sure there's room on this team for Giroux, Lecavalier, Schenn, Laughton, and Couturier unless two of those guys move to wing. And that's entirely possible since, you're right, Schenn has been doing it already, and Vinny seemed ok with the idea.

But, if you're going to make a move that addresses an area of need - for example, a young puck moving defenseman with top pairing potential - I would rather include Couturier or Laughton over Schenn.

Schenn can become the sniper we don't have. I don't know that Coots or Laughton would ever fill that role even if they reach their potential. I think it's easier (and cheaper) to replace a 2nd/3rd line center than it is a top line sniper.

Three weeks ago, I'd have traded Schenn for him, but not Coots.

Now I wouldn't trade either.  If he was healthy and playing like he was 2 years ago maybe, but not now with so many question marks and at a time when our guys are finally finding that chemistry and spark that was so absent so painfully absent all year.

Laughton, I mean we don't really have a decent idea of that kid's upside and as he's not really a key part of the current chemistry coalescing, he's the guy most easily risked.

But after Bob and then JVR, if I were Homer I wouldn't trust my own ability to assess any trade involving young talent or the coaching staff I put in charge of them.

Personally, if the Leafs are willing to part with the kid, I want to part of him. 

Schenn? Why? Why would you have been more willing to part with him before Couturier?

Can we let the Bob stuff go? You know, since he's kinda up-and-down? I understand last year and all but both before and since then, he's not been terribly impressive. Do we really miss this kid?