Luukko resigns

brelic

Per NHL text.

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 3m

Luukko steps down, stuns #Flyers http://po.st/LalLDF via @phillydotcom

In a stunning move, Peter Luukko stepped down Monday as president of the Flyers' parent company, Comcast-Spectacor.

The Flyers' players and head coach Craig Berube were caught off guard by the news.

"He's a great guy; he's been great to me," Berube said. "I don't know a lot about it. All I can say is, I consider him a friend."

Dave Scott will serve as acting president.

As president of the Flyers, Luukko was a driving force behind the team participating in two Winter Classics and for having the 2014 NHL scheduled for Philadelphia.

Many saw him as the future successor to Ed Snider, chairman of Comcast-Spectacor.

Luukko and Snider rank 43d on Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal's list of the Top 50 Most Influential Leaders in Sports Business.

Luukko's son, Nick, was selected by the Flyers in the sixth round of the 2010 draft.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Luukko-steps-down-stuns-Flyers.html#2i3yCjvsAZPwFU9j.99

@delcofan

"Holmgren is ALWAYS wasting his sixth round picks"

Damn Right he is. We could have had an offensive juggernaut like Mark Stone with that pick... SMH.

That is probably why Luukko resigned. After forcing Holmgren to take his kid with such a valuable pick, he couldn't handle the pressure of knowing that the offense may never be figured out and skipped town. At least that is the scuttlebutt that I am hearing from the parking lot attendants at the WFC.

@jammer2

Not too sure. I was mainly joking around with my posts. However, I did see Nick play twice and I wasn't overly impressed. Not even mildly. The dude had a following though. 

In all honesty though I saw him play as a sophomore and again as a Jr. He looks like a college player that will not play after college.

Now that pops is gone, he'll have to blow the doors off to beat out Morin, Haag and Ghost. 

How does one work for a company as long as Luukko and been so loyal just get up and walk away

& resign and not give the company a grace period to transition to a new COO and President??

This is exactly what I'm wondering.  I don't get it.  Snider seemed genuinely surprised, as was most of the rest of team personnel interviewed.  So, I'm left scratching my head unless maybe there's something going on with Luukko healthwise that said to him "now is the time to cash out and spend time with family."

Not trying to start rumors because I've heard nothing of the sort.  Just trying to come up with an explanation that makes the remotest amount of sense.  Because you're right, the lack of a grace/transition period is really quite odd.

So, I'm left scratching my head unless maybe there's something going on with Luukko healthwise that said to him "now is the time to cash out and spend time with family."

Could be a health issue also with someone else in his family maybe (wife)?.