Meszaros Finally Producing

Clarke2Leach

I know it's only one month, but Mez is finally putting some points up.  He's 5th in the league for points by d-men in January on a team starving for blueliner points.  Keeping in mind that we often don't miss players until they're gone (Carle, who has 1 more point in Jan. than Mez), is it worth considering resigning the guy if he takes a haircut on salary? 

post-73-0-64071400-1389970708_thumb.jpg

According to capgeek, we only have Streit, Coburn, Schenn and Grossman under contract for next year and hopefully Gus (I would think re-up on the RFA contract is forthcoming). 

post-73-0-97758900-1389970636_thumb.jpg

I know Mez has problems staying healthy, but he's only 28, has good size and has been a 30+ point guy in the past.  I wouldn't argue with a 3 year @ 3 million per resigning.  Then again, with the Oilers problems, they probably offer 5 million per, just to START sorting out their blueline.

Thoughts?

Edited by Clarke2Leach

If the contract was reasonable as suggested, I wouldnt be opposed to having Mez back. Problem is that he will likely ask for a NMC in his next deal which would handcuff the Flyers if he got the injury bug again or went back to sucking.

you know, with all the injury problems he's had, maybe it isn't surprising that he's had some confidence issues until recently.  he has looked actually good over the last little while, smart playmaking, tight puck control, decent speed.  if he can stay healthy, he'll be interesting to watch for the rest of the season.

Like most defenseman, he needs to stay healthy and play several games to get back into things. He's been healthy and earned ice time over scratches, and here we have a positive result. Glad Berube gave him a shot and was patient.

I'd resign him, ideally for less, but even at his current salary. The guy I'm sick of is Grossmannn. He's not effective outside of the PK due to a lack of mobility. In my opinion, Nick is only truly useful as a 5/6 in the current NHL.

• Like 1

I agree. I like Grossman as a 5/6. As I mentioned in another thread, the guy knows his role and doesnt try to play outside of his ability. He is also in the NHL top 5 in blocked shots which is an asset to have on D.

The problem I have with the Flyers defense is not that I really dislike any of the players individually, but collectively we have too many big, non-agile guys back there. So while I at least kind of like Schenn, Grossman, and Mesz, I don't really like all three of them on the same team. And I'd even throw Coburn in there too, while he's a great skater he's big and not real agile in defensive zone coverage. I would like to see the defense revamped with a couple smaller guys (but not small, I'm talking about around 6' to 6'-2") who are more versatile than some of the guys we have now.

If Mez gets smarter about when he joins the offense(and he has been getting better about it), I won't bitch so much about it. The problem is too often he leaves his D partner (Schenn) swinging in the breeze and at the mercy of a good goalies outlet pass/deflection sending an odd man rush with one d man trying to cover for his scoring chance. This happened a few times in the Nashville game too....

I know it's only one month, but Mez is finally putting some points up. 

And i still want him gone from the lineup....it's time to move on he still is a liability in his own end.

Trade him for a bent puck.

Put Gus back in the the lineup.

If we have to still live through guys like Coburn making bone head play after bone head play, at least we owe Gus the chance to play too cause i still think he is a better puck mover then Streit!!!

Mez can be a good player. His problem is he's inconsistent as hell...except for injury, which you can count on.Can you say" trade deadline"

I think the inconsistency is due to a lack of confidence and steady ice time - which in turn is due to injuries. I feel bad for the guy, because he really can play when he's on.

Considering the fact there is mediocre group of  UFA defenseman that are available, and they are all old,  it might be a good idea to re-sign Mez. Think of all the injuries we have had on defense over the years.Having some depth wont be a bad idea. Also keep in mind Timmo is retiring.... I know I have said it before, but Pitkanen is an UFA, he is by far the youngest and closest to what we need in the UFA  group and he is a puck mover,. He is out injured and maybe we can get a one year deal at a bargain price if he is able to make it back. Its either those moves or be prepared to trade Schenn, Coots or Laugton for a puck moving dman.

it might be a good idea to re-sign Mez.

No thank you, time to move on give his spot to one of the younger guys they deserve it more and Mezz is tapped out...i'd prefer to give the time to Gus.

Or even Oliver Lauridsen who brings more size to the lineup and a better defensive defenseman with some mobility, he leads all the Phantoms @ +12 time to lean on him more....or even Brandon Manning or if ready Mark Alt, someone with a bigger future than Mezz. Myself i'm tired and he still struggles in his own end jst ready for a change.

@Ocams , none of those guys in the AHL have the offensive skills that Mez has, Gus is small and frail and has been injured 3 years in a row. Timmo is retiring , you  cant have a rookie replace Timmo and an unproven guy like Gus on the roster as well. We need a dman with scoring and playmaking skills.

• Like 1

If Mez keeps playing well his value will increase, but finding a good defenseman is gonna cost a lot , so unless were ready to give up one of our good young centers to acquire a dman, then  I would re-sign Mez.  We don't have any offensive dmen that are NHL ready. All we have are another group of third pairing defensive types in the AHL. There is no help coming from the AHL

• Like 1

Nice to see Mes flourishing. Honestly though, I don't trust the guy to stay healthy. I'm also concerned that resigning a guy like Mes would block the way for an up and comer like Oliver. Lauridsen is big, poised and very close to NHL ready. He has worked hard and deserves to be at the NHL level next year. That's not even mentioning guys like Alt, who by all accounts might be ready or close next year. This recent offensive surge by Mes might put his value into the 2nd round draft pick range. I say deal him at the deadline. I'd much rather keep Mes over Luke Schenn, but I don't see that happening. Please, let's not block the kids like we always do.

Mobility on defense is not a trend, it's a necessity. Teams that make deep runs into the playoffs all have mobile, fast smart d-men. Not saying Mes is a big slow slug, cause he's not, but in general, the team speed on defense has to be addressed. For a big guy, Oliver has some decent mobility. Why do we draft these kids if they are never gonna get a realistic shot at the NHL?

none of those guys in the AHL have the offensive skills that Mez has

Let not pretend Mezz is some offensive Juggernaut now that he finally started scoring besides Manning has the offensive out put Mezz is capable of. in 38 games this year 5 gls 13 asts not to bad.

If he's givin a chance who knows. Mezz has 4 gls 10 asts in 29 games. So he is replaceable....if fact these same kids did fine last year filling in for his hurt all the time asss.

Yes...everything Jammer says right above this is why... i completely agree youth please.

Edited by OccamsRazor

...i'd prefer to give the time to Gus.

Or even Oliver Lauridsen who brings more size to the lineup and a better defensive defenseman with some mobility, he leads all the Phantoms @ +12 time to lean on him more....or even Brandon Manning or if ready Mark Alt, someone with a bigger future than Mezz. Myself i'm tired and he still struggles in his own end jst ready for a change.

you are talking about a crop of might-make-it-to-the-nhl-one-day-maybe guys there, not might-be-really-good-in-the-nhl.  you drop someone like meszaros and add them, you are taking a step backwards.  now, if meszaros continues to not be able to stay healthy, then that changes things, but he has more talent than any of the other guys you mention.

edit:  this is assuming my theory that meszaros's on-ice problems over the last couple of years are tied directly to a lack of confidence due to large chunks of time on the IR.  that his time in ottawa is indicative of what he is capable of if he can stay healthy, and his time in tampa and philly were the result of perpetual rust.  he has looked really good over the last month, he's quick and smart and aggressive...and most importantly, very effective.  if this is the real meszaros, he's in a different league than the bunch of ahl call ups available.  literally and figuratively. 

Edited by aziz

Mobility on defense is not a trend, it's a necessity. Teams that make deep runs into the playoffs all have mobile, fast smart d-men. Not saying Mes is a big slow slug, cause he's not, but in general, the team speed on defense has to be addressed.

imo, a confident meszaros is an answer -not a problem- on that front.  it is so heavily qualified with "if this is the new/old him", but if it is, if the flyers finally have the 35+ point meszaros they hoped they were getting, then they have a mobile, fast, smart dman who handles the puck exceptionally well.  

this could all be a brief moment where he's putting it together, and will revert to the form of the last 5 years...or will get hurt again, but.....i'm hopeful.  

• Like 1