I think i hate the Penguins

yave1964

meh, join the club, guy.

i think i would rather follow a team that most other fans hate because that means the team you're following is doing something right.  

i COULD start hating the Red Wings retroactive to the 2008 and 2009 SCFs, but i just don't care enough about them to actively hate them.  as far as i'm concerned, they're not a "legit" threat in the Eastern Conference like the Pens and Bruins.  Lidstrom retiring and several other factors have contributed to that.

as far as i'm concerned, they're not a "legit" threat in the Eastern Conference like the Pens and Bruins.  Lidstrom retiring and several other factors have contributed to that.

lol.  I'd add the Rangers and Flyers to that list.  

The Red Wings were probably one of my all time favorite teams to hate up until a few years ago.  

@Polaris922

That is because there are no Ranger fans in here lol and with hockey going away for the next three weeks just felt like having some fun.

Seriously, the two great Stanley Cups between your team and mine did not leave me hating the Pens, I respect skill, if you notice I did not rip on Crosby in my diatribe but my GOD does Malkin bitch a lot. And the hits after the whistle were way over the top and tilted towards the Pens last night. And the only thing missing for Neal is a diving board and a lifeguard. Yeah, other teams including my Wings do the same stuff and one game is a small sample but the Pens as well as leading the league in skill players if last night is an example they lead in nastiness towards the refs and cheap shots as well.

...or Nash or Carcillo. Or the trip on Crosby in OT.

Where this "Malkin bitches...." is coming from is beyond me.  He barely speaks English.

And Neal didn't "dive" - he held a stick. Something just about any NHLer will do....heck, is probably taught to do....when an opposing player gets their stick up under the arms.

....but the Pens as well as leading the league in skill players if last night is an example they lead in nastiness towards the refs...

Now the Pens treat the officials worse than any team in the league? Holy cow, get a grip. 

Seriously, take off the red and white goggles.

I think what you've all suspected has been confirmed:  i really don't have a keen eye when watching a game.

When the Flyers play the Pens, I notice the "Penguin whine" a little bit, but I swear it's in the context of their playing my team and whatever they're "whining" about is probably not in the best interest my team.  I swear this because...

I live in north central PA and also get Fox Sportsnet Pittsburgh and DON'T get Center Ice.  So, I'm jonesing for hockey on a night when American Idol or some form of NCIS seems to be on every other channel, so I watch a Pitt game.  Here's where the lack of a keen eye comes in, because I honestly don't notice the "whining" at all.   Probably because while the Pens are in our division, they have like a 47 point lead on us so I really don't have a dog in the show.   I'm just watching hockey.   Sure, I'll see a player yap about a call, or make sure to point out a puck was or wasn't deflected going out of the defensive end into the netting/stands and I'll notice a coach yapping about a call or some discussion about a faceoff or whatever, but I swear I don't see it more or less from either team.

The only thing I notice on occasion is that when Crosby does it, he always has a facial expression like someone just stole his Planet of the Apes lunch box with the matching thermos.   But I think there I may simply be back to my general dislike of Crosby more than anything else.  He just has a face you want to shove in a locker and leave him there over the weekend.   (By the way, just so we can get this question out of the way:  Yeah, he'd look good on my team).  

am enjoying seeing the Red Wings fans complain about it, though. Is that mostly because they won the Cup from you last time you played?  You won the year before, don't be greedy.  :ph34r:

Crosby definately has that "Matthew Barnaby" look going on that you just want to punch. It certainly makes his talking look more like whining.

Yeah, that's my take.  But I realize it's potentially colored by point of view.

I think what you've all suspected has been confirmed:  i really don't have a keen eye when watching a game.

When the Flyers play the Pens, I notice the "Penguin whine" a little bit, but I swear it's in the context of their playing my team and whatever they're "whining" about is probably not in the best interest my team.  I swear this because...

I live in north central PA and also get Fox Sportsnet Pittsburgh and DON'T get Center Ice.  So, I'm jonesing for hockey on a night when American Idol or some form of NCIS seems to be on every other channel, so I watch a Pitt game.  Here's where the lack of a keen eye comes in, because I honestly don't notice the "whining" at all.   Probably because while the Pens are in our division, they have like a 47 point lead on us so I really don't have a dog in the show.   I'm just watching hockey.   Sure, I'll see a player yap about a call, or make sure to point out a puck was or wasn't deflected going out of the defensive end into the netting/stands and I'll notice a coach yapping about a call or some discussion about a faceoff or whatever, but I swear I don't see it more or less from either team.

The only thing I notice on occasion is that when Crosby does it, he always has a facial expression like someone just stole his Planet of the Apes lunch box with the matching thermos.   But I think there I may simply be back to my general dislike of Crosby more than anything else.  He just has a face you want to shove in a locker and leave him there over the weekend.   (By the way, just so we can get this question out of the way:  Yeah, he'd look good on my team).  

am enjoying seeing the Red Wings fans complain about it, though. Is that mostly because they won the Cup from you last time you played?  You won the year before, don't be greedy.  :ph34r:

First of all Rux, as a Pens fan, I'm sorry that you have to watch a Pens game and listen to Steigy and 'The Old 29er', even we can't stand to listen to them. Sometimes I think that they are watching a rerun of another game on their monitor because they are sooo clueless.

Your main point is something that I know I have tried to describe, and people tend to think us crazy.   Yep, Crosby talks to the officials after whistles about faceoffs and penalties, but so do the other captains. its their jobs. I'm glad that you are able to see it in a different view when its not a Flyers game. 

Its funny, there are a couple of other sites that I visit but don't post, where you can go to game day threads of two teams playing each other, and they both will have the same complaints about the other teams whining, diving and calls/non calls by the officials, while seeing non of it on their teams part.   Its pretty funny to pick out a physical hard fought game by two teams you don't care about, and look at their teams fans comments.

But for some, there is the added bitterness towards Crosby, that they will NEVER see him play without bias. Every time he's knocked down "it's a dive".  Come on the ice and say hello to the officials and "he's already whining". They will pick out everytime that he gets his stick up near someones midsection as hooks not called, but ignore how many times he's been tackled and held during the game.  And I, as many Pens fans, get tired at points of the onesidedness of the comments.

There was a study done by Carnegie Mellon University a year or two ago that detailed a new syndrome they called "Crosbyphobia". It detailed some of the symptoms as:

1) Turret like outbusts of a verbal and hand gestured nature

2) Visual comprehension deficit indicated by both seeing things that never happened or not being able to process what actually happened.

3) Memory retention issues as to facts that happened both short and long term

4) Emotional detachment deficit where a minor issue cannot be let go for months or even years

5) Alphabetic/spelling regression such that simple words or names cannot be spelled correctly

6) Extreme paranoid episodes which include cases of delusional conspiracy theories

For the most part, the syndrome seemed to be regional in the New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsynvania regions, but it has been noted to have "Clusters" that go up through New England and even into eastern Canada.  The syndrome seems particularly prevelant in the winter and spring months, with the most violent outbreak in the spring.   No known treatment seems to help people affect by this syndrome.  Doctors also say the confronting people who may have this syndrome does no good, and actually makes their symptoms more pronounced.  The best thing to do is to try to ignore them.

Okay, I stretched the truth there a little bit. So sue me.

First of all Rux, as a Pens fan, I'm sorry that you have to watch a Pens game and listen to Steigy and 'The Old 29er', even we can't stand to listen to them. Sometimes I think that they are watching a rerun of another game on their monitor because they are sooo clueless.

Your main point is something that I know I have tried to describe, and people tend to think us crazy. Yep, Crosby talks to the officials after whistles about faceoffs and penalties, but so do the other captains. its their jobs. I'm glad that you are able to see it in a different view when its not a Flyers game.

Its funny, there are a couple of other sites that I visit but don't post, where you can go to game day threads of two teams playing each other, and they both will have the same complaints about the other teams whining, diving and calls/non calls by the officials, while seeing non of it on their teams part. Its pretty funny to pick out a physical hard fought game by two teams you don't care about, and look at their teams fans comments.

But for some, there is the added bitterness towards Crosby, that they will NEVER see him play without bias. Every time he's knocked down "it's a dive". Come on the ice and say hello to the officials and "he's already whining". They will pick out everytime that he gets his stick up near someones midsection as hooks not called, but ignore how many times he's been tackled and held during the game. And I, as many Pens fans, get tired at points of the onesidedness of the comments.

There was a study done by Carnegie Mellon University a year or two ago that detailed a new syndrome they called "Crosbyphobia". It detailed some of the symptoms as:

2) Visual comprehension deficit indicated by both seeing things that never happened or not being able to process what actually happened.

4) Emotional detachment deficit where a minor issue cannot be let go for months or even years

5) Alphabetic/spelling regression such that simple words or names cannot be spelled correctly

6) Extreme paranoid episodes which include cases of delusional conspiracy theories

For the most part, the syndrome seemed to be regional in the New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsynvania regions, but it has been noted to have "Clusters" that go up through New England and even into eastern Canada. The syndrome seems particularly prevelant in the winter and spring months, with the most violent outbreak in the spring. No known treatment seems to help people affect by this syndrome. Doctors also say the confronting people who may have this syndrome does no good, and actually makes their symptoms more pronounced. The best thing to do is to try to ignore them.

Quit whining. You from Pittsburgh or something? (^_-)

Your main point is something that I know I have tried to describe, and people tend to think us crazy.   Yep, Crosby talks to the officials after whistles about faceoffs and penalties, but so do the other captains. its their jobs. I'm glad that you are able to see it in a different view when its not a Flyers game. 

Its funny, there are a couple of other sites that I visit but don't post, where you can go to game day threads of two teams playing each other, and they both will have the same complaints about the other teams whining, diving and calls/non calls by the officials, while seeing non of it on their teams part.   Its pretty funny to pick out a physical hard fought game by two teams you don't care about, and look at their teams fans comments.

But for some, there is the added bitterness towards Crosby, that they will NEVER see him play without bias. Every time he's knocked down "it's a dive".  Come on the ice and say hello to the officials and "he's already whining". They will pick out everytime that he gets his stick up near someones midsection as hooks not called, but ignore how many times he's been tackled and held during the game.  And I, as many Pens fans, get tired at points of the onesidedness of the comments.

There was a study done by Carnegie Mellon University a year or two ago that detailed a new syndrome they called "Crosbyphobia". It detailed some of the symptoms as:

5) Alphabetic/spelling regression such that simple words or names cannot be spelled correctly

For the most part, the syndrome seemed to be regional in the New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsynvania regions, but it has been noted to have "Clusters" that go up through New England and even into eastern Canada.  The syndrome seems particularly prevelant in the winter and spring months, with the most violent outbreak in the spring.   No known treatment seems to help people affect by this syndrome.  Doctors also say the confronting people who may have this syndrome does no good, and actually makes their symptoms more pronounced.  The best thing to do is to try to ignore them.

Wow - that disease sounds awful!  At least it is contained geographically.  Can it be spread via hockey forums?  If so, the Pens fans here could be it risk.  Based on how many here seem to have it I would gather it is highly contagious!  Are the symptoms worsened the longer an infected person's team has gone without a Cup?  :ph34r:  :D Tha would explain the extreme cases found in places like New York, Philly and Toronto. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Penguins do it as much as any other team in the NHL? Not a chance. This entitled team has perfected whining and diving and cheap shots beyond any other.

Only a Penguin fan would say otherwise.

Well I guess there's nothing that  we could say to statement.  After all, if a Flyers fan says it, it must be true.

The Penguins do it as much as any other team in the NHL? Not a chance. This entitled team has perfected whining and diving and cheap shots beyond any other.

Only a Penguin fan would say otherwise.

They must have learned from the best (see: 1974-75 Flyers).

Only a blind homer would disagree.

They must have learned from the best (see: 1974-75 Flyers).

Only a blind homer would disagree.

B21,  I found the argument above was stated so eloquently with such a variety of resources and facts to back it up, I could not argue.   A couple of Na Na Na Na Bo Bo's and I'd have crumbled under the sheer weight of it all.

B21,  I found the argument above was stated so eloquently with such a variety of resources and facts to back it up, I could not argue.   A couple of Na Na Na Na Bo Bo's and I'd have crumbled under the sheer weight of it all.

LOL. I concur. The hypocrisy of such statements can usually be left alone but from time to time a reply is needed.  Keeps the mind sharp. ;)

Ok this is how I see it.

The Penguins are the league's favorite team.

There is no other way about it, nor should there be. Sidney Crosby has been able to take a game that was not incredibly popular in the states after the lockout and revitalize it. Therefore, the league should do everything in their power to protect this team and keep it at the level in which the league is successful. There is not a doubt in my mind that the officials favor this team. There is a reason Crosby never gets called for diving and it's because the league knows that when Crosby is off the ice, the game takes a step backwards.

For example, the Habs and Pens played Thursday in a truly exciting back and forth game that unfortunately had to be solved in the shootout. In this game, the Canadiens were being called on every ticky tacky play. Towards the middle of the third period, after a horrendous call was made against the Canadiens, captaing Brian Gionta skated over to the officials and told them how he felt of their officiating quality as well as the embellishment of the Pens. The message was heard as right after that, Tanner glass was given a Five and a Ten for an elbow that never really made contact with Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin, but the intent was there. The Habs tied the game on the ensuing powerplay, and eventually beat the Pens in a shootout.

Moral of the story:

The Penguins are the biggest complainers in the league. Period. If the other teams complained just as much as the Penguins do, as you claim @Polaris922 what we saw in the Canadiens game would happen a lot more often. The complaining would balance itself out and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But until more players start to complain, like most penguins fans claim they already do, the Pittsburgh Bettman's will continue to dominate this league.

On another note, the only player who dives more than Sidney Crosby is Brad Marchand

Thanks

Ian

ihabs1993

• Like 1

@ihabs1993

<< The message was heard as right after that, Tanner glass was given a Five and a Ten for an elbow that never really made contact with Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin, but the intent was there. The Habs tied the game on the ensuing powerplay, and eventually beat the Pens in a shootout. >>

And there goes your argument.  Intent is a penalty now? Interesting. Not that there was any. The "elbow" (cough cough) was low, made contact with Emelin's arm which basically caused Emelin to punch himself in the face.  5:00 and a game for that? That was almost as bad as Briere's now infamous "not offsides". Almost. BTW, that was 5:00 with 6:30 left in the game and the Pens up by 1.

But yeah - the league loves us.

Frankly, the Habs are by far the dirtiest team in the league and clearly get all the calls.  The Habs are 15th in PP chances after all....5 spots ahead of the Pens,

Have some cheese with that whine.

Ok this is how I see it.

The Penguins are the league's favorite team.

There is no other way about it, nor should there be. Sidney Crosby has been able to take a game that was not incredibly popular in the states after the lockout and revitalize it. Therefore, the league should do everything in their power to protect this team and keep it at the level in which the league is successful. There is not a doubt in my mind that the officials favor this team. There is a reason Crosby never gets called for diving and it's because the league knows that when Crosby is off the ice, the game takes a step backwards.

For example, the Habs and Pens played Thursday in a truly exciting back and forth game that unfortunately had to be solved in the shootout. In this game, the Canadiens were being called on every ticky tacky play. Towards the middle of the third period, after a horrendous call was made against the Canadiens, captaing Brian Gionta skated over to the officials and told them how he felt of their officiating quality as well as the embellishment of the Pens. The message was heard as right after that, Tanner glass was given a Five and a Ten for an elbow that never really made contact with Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin, but the intent was there. The Habs tied the game on the ensuing powerplay, and eventually beat the Pens in a shootout.

Moral of the story:

The Penguins are the biggest complainers in the league. Period. If the other teams complained just as much as the Penguins do, as you claim @Polaris922 what we saw in the Canadiens game would happen a lot more often. The complaining would balance itself out and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But until more players start to complain, like most penguins fans claim they already do, the Pittsburgh Bettman's will continue to dominate this league.

On another note, the only player who dives more than Sidney Crosby is Brad Marchand

Thanks

Ian

ihabs1993

So if I get this right, the officials make a bad call, your captain Brian Gionta goes over and whines to the officials, and because of his whining, the Habs were given a 5 minute powerplay.   But its okay if your team does it, right? Does that not sound hypocritical?

I'll admit it, the officiating was bad in the game. But it was bad both ways.

You say there is not a doubt in your mind that the officials favor this team. Okay by your statements, with all the diving and the obvious protection of Crosby , then the Pens must lead the league in power play opportunities. BUT WAIT, they don't, heck as a matter of fact 19 other teams, including the Canadians, have drawn more penalties than the Pens.  How can that possibly be?   If they are being "protected" and "dive", shouldn't they be getting MORE oppurtunities?

Can I now say that Montreal must Dive and Whine more than the Pens? Or should we use that age old, "Well MY team DESERVED their power plays, yours were given to you by the refs".   See, to us Pens fans, that's what it sounds like.