Flyers recall McGinn

brelic

Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers

ROSTER UPDATE: Steve Downie is day-to-day w/ upper-body injury & Tye McGinn will be recalled from @phantomshockey. http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=710725

Downie's out, so McGinn is getting a shot. I would guess he goes to the 4th line and Raffl moves up with Read and Coots. This is a good opportunity for McGinn to redeem himself. We're fighting for a playoff spot, so he'd better come in here hungry and ready to compete.

@brelic

I wonder why they recalled McGinn instead of Vandevelde. McGinn has more goals scored but is a -20. Vandevelde is a +1. I am not a McGinn hater but shouldn't you bring up a guy who is defensively responsible to fill a 3rd or 4th line spot?

@brelic

I wonder why they recalled McGinn instead of Vandevelde. McGinn has more goals scored but is a -20. Vandevelde is a +1. I am not a McGinn hater but shouldn't you bring up a guy who is defensively responsible to fill a 3rd or 4th line spot?

Vandevelde is injured.

• Like 1

Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers
ROSTER UPDATE: Steve Downie is day-to-day w/ upper-body injury & Tye McGinn will be recalled from @phantomshockey. http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=710725

Downie's out, so McGinn is getting a shot. I would guess he goes to the 4th line and Raffl moves up with Read and Coots. This is a good opportunity for McGinn to redeem himself. We're fighting for a playoff spot, so he'd better come in here hungry and ready to compete.

From what? Being d!cked around with and 3rd on his team (Phantoms) in scoring? Any perceived problem they have with him is an overreaction on their part. That's not to say the kid doesn't have any flaws in his game, but they way they have handled him this year wasn't because he was so clearly and obviously playing that bad. Downie has made more on ice mistakes than McGinn. McGinn doesn't even play.

@brelic

Who cares? Rinaldo and Hall are a -13 and -14 respectively and they aren't going anywhere.

From what? Being d!cked around with and 3rd on his team (Phantoms) in scoring? Any perceived problem they have with him is an overreaction on their part. That's not to say the kid doesn't have any flaws in his game, but they way they have handled him this year wasn't because he was so clearly and obviously playing that bad. Downie has made more on ice mistakes than McGinn. McGinn doesn't even play.

To redeem himself in the eyes of those who make personnel decisions. 

To redeem himself in the eyes of those who make personnel decisions. 

I know. My point was that he really hasn't done anything so bad that he needs to be redeemed from.He's never going to get a fair chance with this team imo. For some reason, they judge him more harshly than others. This is a team that plays Rinaldo, Rosehill, and Downie regularly regardless of their mistakes or lack of contributions.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@fanaticV3.0

I watched McGinn a little last night, he's  slower than Couturier.... a lot slower. 

That said he had some shifts where he looked pretty effective especially early in the 2nd, ,and some shifts where he was on the wrong side of the puck and had trouble recovering.

But for what that's worth the whole team had trouble last night, the Kings are big , physical and skilled and look to be peaking at the right time, they clutch and hold and don't give you any space and our top line struggles with that occasionally.

back to your friend Tye

He doesn't have the speed of Rinaldo

He doesn't have the "skill" of Downie and that's up for debate i guess because Downie can play stupidly (or better irresponsibly)  but he does have pretty good hands and is + with the puck on his stick.

Tye  can throw punches okay, but that's not really his game either.  

He's not as versatile as Raffl

I don't know where in the top 9 he fits if at all and as for the fourth line,  i think the thought is put some guys with some speed on that line to create some energy, at least Hall and Rinaldo have some wheels. The guy is a Tim Tookey style "tweener"  almost too good for the A but he will need the right situation to play regularly in the NHL, because he's certainly not the second coming of Tim Kerr or John LeClair.

I really , truly don't see him as being a guy the front office is "missing" on like Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp. 

@fanaticV3.0

I watched McGinn a little last night, he's  slower than Couturier.... a lot slower. 

That said he had some shifts where he looked pretty effective especially early in the 2nd, ,and some shifts where he was on the wrong side of the puck and had trouble recovering.

But for what that's worth the whole team had trouble last night, the Kings are big , physical and skilled and look to be peaking at the right time, they clutch and hold and don't give you any space and our top line struggles with that occasionally.

back to your friend Tye

He doesn't have the speed of Rinaldo

He doesn't have the "skill" of Downie and that's up for debate i guess because Downie can play stupidly (or better irresponsibly)  but he does have pretty good hands and is + with the puck on his stick.

Tye  can throw punches okay, but that's not really his game either.  

He's not as versatile as Raffl

I don't know where in the top 9 he fits if at all and as for the fourth line,  i think the thought is put some guys with some speed on that line to create some energy, at least Hall and Rinaldo have some wheels. The guy is a Tim Tookey style "tweener"  almost too good for the A but he will need the right situation to play regularly in the NHL, because he's certainly not the second coming of Tim Kerr or John LeClair.

I really , truly don't see him as being a guy the front office is "missing" on like Justin Williams or Patrick Sharp. 

Piss on Rinaldo's speed and Downie's "skill". Neither one of those things makes any impact on the team whatsoever. Downie isn't even going to be here next year, and rightly so, so who cares about him and his 3 goals and moronic play? Rinaldo could be the fastest player in the league and it still doesn't mean anything if you don't have any skill. Speed without skill (and I mean any kind, not just scoring touch) is meaningless. You don't know how he makes this roster, but go to bat for these two? Please.

Who's comparing him to Raffl? I compared him to two morons and a goon (Rosehill).

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I was supportive of McGinn early in the season, but based solely on last night -- admittedly a small sampling -- I don't think he belongs in the NHL.

He's slow and put himself in positions he couldn't compensate for or recover from because of that lack of speed.  He really looked like a very poor skater last night.

Just to piggy-back on what @mojo1917, he didn't seem to do any one thing well.   The people against whom he'd be competing for time at least do one or two limited things well.   Rinaldo's speed was mentioned, but in addition to taking penalties he does draw them.  He creates some mayhem.  McGinn just looked like a bumble#### last night.

Rosehill can fight.  Not particularly well, mind you, and I think he's a complete waste of a roster spot.  But for the most part he doesn't play, so replacing him with McGinn takes McGinn out of regular playing time in the AHL and puts him in the press box in the NHL.  I don't think that would be a wise use of assets or his time vs. eligibility.  Plus, as average (IMO) a fighter as Rosehill is, he's probably better in that department than McGinn.  I wouldn't play either of them, though.

Downie.  I'd play my mother-in-law over Downie.   Here's the roster spot that you maybe justifiably give to McGinn.  I don't see that McGinn has any upside to Downie.  But at least you pay less for absolutely nothing.

So give McGinn or someone Downie's roster spot, put him on the fourth line, and move Raffl up in the batting order.  I would not put McGinn on a line with Read and Couturier that is supposed to be defensively responsible.   It's hard to completely dismiss a prospect based on one game, but he did not look like he belonged last night.   And this is said while keeping in mind that the entire team was a bit off.

Piss on Rinaldo's speed and Downie's "skill". Neither one of those things makes any impact on the team whatsoever. Downie isn't even going to be here next year, and rightly so, so who cares about him and his 3 goals and moronic play? Rinaldo could be the fastest player in the league and it still doesn't mean anything if you don't have any skill. Speed without skill (and I mean any kind, not just scoring touch) is meaningless. You don't know how he makes this roster, but go to bat for these two? Please.

Who's comparing him to Raffl? I compared him to two morons and a goon (Rosehill).

I don't know if I'd call what I said about your three stooges as "going to bat " for them.

Simply pointing out that they do have areas where they *clears throat*  "excel"  and that seems to put them on the roster in his place.

I brought up Raffl because he was an early season borderline guy that has proven valuable in many roles since "winning" the roster spot.

I don't care for Steve Downie a whole lot, and hope he is not a Flyer next season. I still think he's a better hockey player than Tye McGinn.  I do like @ruxpin 's idea of sending Downie to the press box and moving Raffl to Couturier and Read's line though, maybe in that capacity your boy could get 7 minutes a night , and look like he's skating in quicksand when paired with Hall and Rindaldo. 

Rinaldo was also working on his PK game, and is a tenacious forechecker. Kind of like Wellwood was before injury. Rinaldo is not a goon, he's a hard working agitator and grinder.

McGinn flat out doesn't work hard enough. And if he's not doing that while sitting on the roster bubble, he deserves to sit in the AHL. Even below Downie 2014.

Rosehill is fine since he's a fighter, sits in the press box without complaining, and is a room guy. Chemistry matters. Sure it sounds hokey, but you have to fill a roster, and keeping Rosehill up means you can send a young guy down for TOI and development.

Maybe McGinn should work his way up? Otherwise, he will just be a name on the list of could've, should've.

Rinaldo was also working on his PK game, and is a tenacious forechecker. Kind of like Wellwood was before injury. Rinaldo is not a goon, he's a hard working agitator and grinder.

McGinn flat out doesn't work hard enough. And if he's not doing that while sitting on the roster bubble, he deserves to sit in the AHL. Even below Downie 2014.

Rosehill is fine since he's a fighter, sits in the press box without complaining, and is a room guy. Chemistry matters. Sure it sounds hokey, but you have to fill a roster, and keeping Rosehill up means you can send a young guy down for TOI and development.

Maybe McGinn should work his way up? Otherwise, he will just be a name on the list of could've, should've.

You may be right about not working hard enough, but I suspect he's simply not that good. His play last night was really disturbing. Whether you're right about effort or I am about skill, he clearly isn't currently an NHL player.

And I actually went into last night cheering for him hoping to be able to say "see?" to his naysayers. But focusing on him was REALLY eye-opening

McGinn has more goals scored but is a -20.

Don't know much about either of them at the AHL level, but I have not been cringing much with McGinn. I am not sold on his hands, but that could be a jitters / AHL-NHL speed of play thing. Also, in two seasons with the Phantoms (109 games), he is a -10. Both of those teams are / were abysmal. 

Tyler on his two stints has posted in 30 games: 6g, 2a, 8pts and even +/-. 

Just saying. :-)

@mojo1917

Please read my sig line below....it will save you hours by just not having to read some of the "moronic" drivel posted by one of the geniuses on this site. It does wonders for your sanity. ;)

It's the stuff in the body that causes problems, eh?

I focused on McGinn yesterday.  He tries, won a few puck battles, but his skating is laborous and does nothing to make the line of Schenn and Simmonds better.  Schenn and Simmonds were far better in the offensive zone with Vinny.  The fourth line was also better with Vinny getting quality chances on net.  McGinn doens't bring anything to the team to make them better than it is with Downie.

• Like 2

I focused on McGinn yesterday. He tries, won a few puck battles, but his skating is laborous and does nothing to make the line of Schenn and Simmonds better. Schenn and Simmonds were far better in the offensive zone with Vinny. The fourth line was also better with Vinny getting quality chances on net. McGinn doens't bring anything to the team to make them better than it is with Downie.

I agree. Much as it pains me to negatively compare someone to Downie. McGinn is an emergency fill in at best. He's not a regular NHLer.

Since the problem is that his skating is actually painful to watch, I'm not sure he ever will be.

I agree. Much as it pains me to negatively compare someone to Downie. McGinn is an emergency fill in at best. He's not a regular NHLer.

Since the problem is that his skating is actually painful to watch, I'm not sure he ever will be.

Could not agree more... I am not sure what people see in this kid.   He is not very good IMO is an AHLer that will get his callup due to injury.  Nothing more...

Play not to lose instead of playing to win.
See where that gets them in may.
Still, I will reiterate, we suck at the shoutout.
Better at actual hockey, terrible at the GD shoot out.

I'm glad we get to see Mcginn play makes me appreciate Downie even more...Mcginn is a AHLer nothing more. Get well Scuba Steve!!! Edited by radoran
merged from the "Typical Hitchcock" thread

Everyone is spot on about McGinn and his recent play.  He looks totaly lost out there. If you think he looks bad on TV he looks even worse live when you can follow him around even if the camera is not on him.  I was a big McGinn guy as in the past he seemed to add a lot of energy and showed at least some skill.  He is no longer doing that and I cannot wait for him to be sent back down.  It reminds me of David Laliberte.  When he first came up he was like a house on fire, (remember the "Laliberte, What an Entrance!" thread on Philly.com?).  Then he remebered that he was David Laliberte and came back to earth.  Now it appears that McGinn has remebered that he is McGinn.

• Like 2

@Poulin20

here's the thing about McGinn he is certainly not ready for a top 6 role, and so far lacks the speed and system awareness to play in the bottom 6... the speed may improve slightly ( but at his age i think he's maybe a finished product ) but he can learn to play smarter, maybe.  The guy is a tweener, too bad.  he looks good on the roster sheet , good size and all and was / is worth a look because of the size.  but i don't see great hands or a super compete level or anything that makes him stand out in a good way.  

@Poulin20

here's the thing about McGinn he is certainly not ready for a top 6 role, and so far lacks the speed and system awareness to play in the bottom 6... the speed may improve slightly ( but at his age i think he's maybe a finished product ) but he can learn to play smarter, maybe.  The guy is a tweener, too bad.  he looks good on the roster sheet , good size and all and was / is worth a look because of the size.  but i don't see great hands or a super compete level or anything that makes him stand out in a good way.  

McGinn is an injury fill-in, and by all accounts is the best option for such a role that the Flyers currently have.

That is the worrying thing.