Rinaldo...2 games coming? (Got 4 games)

flyerrod

@B21

I don't know how you got in here without the password, especially after reading the "Flyers fans only" sign above the door... But you better get back to your room! You may upset something having a legitimate opinion about things that aren't in black and gold. You're the wrong colors racist!

@Poulin20

Problem is he already IS the younger Matt Cooke. Except Cooke had more skill to go with his dirty play.

I believe Rinaldo only has one NHL suspension as of now (2 most likely after his hearing).  That doesn't really equate to young Matt Cooke.  Rinaldo is a seek and destroy hitter, but if he does it within the rules, which he has proven he does more times than not, how does that qualify him as a young Matt Cooke?  Of course he is still early in his career, so there is plenty of time to prove otherwise.  With his current body of work, I don't really see him in the same ball park as Cooke.

I think his suspension came in 2012.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I know he was a complete nut before the NHL, but since he has arrived, I can recall mainly a lot of hard hits that pissed off the other team enough to take a dumb penalty. 

Edited by Adamflyers

I believe Rinaldo only has one NHL suspension as of now (2 most likely after his hearing). That doesn't really equate to young Matt Cooke. Rinaldo is a seek and destroy hitter, but if he does it within the rules, which he has proven he does more times than not, how does that qualify him as a young Matt Cooke? Of course he is still early in his career, so there is plenty of time to prove otherwise. With his current body of work, I don't really see him in the same ball park as Cooke.

I think his suspension came in 2012. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know he was a complete nut before the NHL, but since he has arrived, I can recall mainly a lot of hard hits that pissed off the other team enough to take a dumb penalty.

Well... Cooke was never suspended until he had ten years in the NHL so you're right in that Rinaldo got dirtier younger. Both have made careers on the same hard nosed, hard hits that many refer to as borderline sometimes, despite all the clean ones. Cooke has been suspended four times in a 15 or 16 year career, where Rinaldo (NHL only) has a suspension and two fines for dirty hits already in just over two seasons. This will be his second suspension already.

You're right, so far he's worse than Cooke. ;)

Maybe I am a sympathizer her but Rinaldo plays most nights without an incident. Plays the game hard and hits like a truck but you have to look at what he has been suspended for (or will be) and the fact is he takes some seriously stupid penalties that puts his team in a bad position.

The same can be said for carcillo, cook and Neal... I think Rinaldo is a good energy guy but in the end he has taken stupid penalties that deserve suspensions. Whether they are or were flagrant makes no difference... The damage is done.

Whine all you want BC he is a flyer but he deserves the penalties and suspensions when merited and in most cases they have been merited.

Sobdes this meanbthat Downie is going to turn around the season again noebtyat our 4th liner is out for 4 games? Is he the catalyst to get us over the hump?

Phlfly, I can't understand you with the hammer and sickle in your mouth.

4 games...

I am not surprised. Rinaldo basically gift wrapped this for Shanahan  by making this hit so close to the end of the season. He gets to be the message for the playoffs. I really have no problem with this suspension as long as the ones that follow to other players are similar(fat chance but one can hope). I also hope that this penetrates his thick skull and tones down the stupid....

4 games...

4 games is fair.  His comments though are Neal-like...

"It's unfortunate it's for the remainder of the season," Rinaldo said Monday night. "It's just one of those hits that kind of slipped away from me. It was bad timing and a little vulnerability on his side of the puck, too. My bad and his bad at the same time."

Wow.

Apparently shooting the puck is now putting oneself in a vulnerable position.

@B21

I don't know how you got in here without the password, especially after reading the "Flyers fans only" sign above the door... But you better get back to your room! You may upset something having a legitimate opinion about things that aren't in black and gold. You're the wrong colors racist!

I'm sure he meant the Lightning fan. ;)

He has alot of strength for his size and can bring so much but on the other hand he can royal ruin things in the blink of an eye. I just hope we dont have another Carcillo on are hands....

Welcome.

I don't think Rinaldo is another Carcillo.  Dumb choice yeah made by Rinaldo, but if he got there a second or so earlier it probably would have been a body check.  The problem Rinaldo now has is he is likely looking at an 8-10 game suspension for the next poor decision he makes.

• Like 1

You get what you get from players like Rinaldo.  If he does not play on the edge of legality, he's not going to be in an NHL lineup.  His job is to go out and hit people and get them off their game. Provide energy for the team by playing a very physical game.  Sometimes, the adrenaline pumps too much maybe, and they go over the line.  Hopefully he learns from it, and doesn't go for the big hit as much.   Three years in the league and two suspensions, he's not on the right path if your not a protected "star" player.

You get what you get from players like Rinaldo.  If he does not play on the edge of legality, he's not going to be in an NHL lineup.  His job is to go out and hit people and get them off their game. Provide energy for the team by playing a very physical game.  Sometimes, the adrenaline pumps too much maybe, and they go over the line.  Hopefully he learns from it, and doesn't go for the big hit as much.   Three years in the league and two suspensions, he's not on the right path if your not a protected "star" player.

Sheer wisdom right there.

I really have no problem with this suspension as long as the ones that follow to other players are similar(fat chance but one can hope)

Nope, not similar at all.  Rinaldo got hit with the longest suspension despite having one of the least vicious hits.  He was tracking the puck,  Ruhwedel got to it first, and Rinaldo changed his track into Ruhwedel, er, Ruhwedel's head.  But, look at the last few suspensions here.  Most are far more deliberate and dangerous, yet none were four games.

The Candiens' Murry throws a deliberate elbow to the jaw of Mike Kostka: 3 games

Jackets' Comeau drives Blake Smith's head into the glass: 2 games

Kings' Nolan throws a haymaker to the jaw of Joensuu, who was being held by the linesman and completely unsuspecting: 1 game.

Shanahan's agenda against the Flyers is reinforced.

Nope, not similar at all. Rinaldo got hit with the longest suspension despite having one of the least vicious hits. He was tracking the puck, Ruhwedel got to it first, and Rinaldo changed his track into Ruhwedel, er, Ruhwedel's head. But, look at the last few suspensions here. Most are far more deliberate and dangerous, yet none were four games.

The Candiens' Murry throws a deliberate elbow to the jaw of Mike Kostka: 3 games

Jackets' Comeau drives Blake Smith's head into the glass: 2 games

Kings' Nolan throws a haymaker to the jaw of Joensuu, who was being held by the linesman and completely unsuspecting: 1 game.

Shanahan's agenda against the Flyers is reinforced.

Rinaldo's hit is every bit as deliberate, and jumping into it proves it. He has a history the others don't. No anti-Flyers stuff here. Just normal non-star treatment.

It was a stupid play on his part, unnecessary, all that; 4 games doesn't seem hideous to me.  

He needs to be more careful, if he can't, he won't have a job.  

I like the energy and fight he brings when he's on the ice, if he can learn to resist the urge to blow a guy up when they are vulnerable, i will be fine with him.  I do agree with @JackStraw and wish he was a better hockey player, he's got some wheels and can hit ,  i wish he could take a pass while he's moving better and could make a play or two in the offensive zone either with a pass or a shot, those are things he can work on.  

This. There was absolutely no excuse for that hit. It's 110% on Rinaldo. Not only that, the hit there served absolutely no purpose.

Just a stupid stupid play. Especially in a 4-0 game where the opponent had absolutely nothing going. Just simply stupid

i agree completely.

he was out of control almost every shift.

lucky it didnt cost us.

i would rather have rosehill in the the lineup for enforcement. 

Rinaldo is not in the line up to be an enforcer, He is there to be a pest and to provide energy to his team which he does very well. In that he is very much like Brad Marchand minus the bad acting skills. Rosehill is a guy who makes incredibly poor choices often which ALWAYS lead to a penalty. I have lost track of the amount of times I have watched Rosehill get a penalty for a late hit or a coast by elbow that puts the opposing team on the PP.  As an enforcer, I give Rosehill props but in today's game you have to have other skills to go with it.

P.S. Welcome to the board.

Well... Cooke was never suspended until he had ten years in the NHL so you're right in that Rinaldo got dirtier younger. Both have made careers on the same hard nosed, hard hits that many refer to as borderline sometimes, despite all the clean ones. Cooke has been suspended four times in a 15 or 16 year career, where Rinaldo (NHL only) has a suspension and two fines for dirty hits already in just over two seasons. This will be his second suspension already.

You're right, so far he's worse than Cooke. ;)

Let's not forget, Cooke came into the league at a time when Scott Stevens was considered a clean player.  You used to be able to get away with murder in the NHL until they actually started to pay attention to the fact that it hits to the head are very dangerous and can end careers (who would have thought it!)  I find it hard to believe that Cooke woke up one morning and just decided he was going to play like the ultimate douche bag and target players' heads.  Lets not forget the hit to Savard that went unpunished.  Hell, let's not forget the Mike Richards hit on Booth that went unpunished, just to highlight the fact that you could get away with murder in the NHL back then.

You are extrapolating Rinaldo's possible suspensions going forward in his career, while I'm speculating that Cooke may have had more suspensions if the NHL was calling these hits back then.   Only time will tell if Rinaldo becomes another Matt Cooke.  Cooke was pretty bad for a few straight years there!  He had to be lectured by Mario and was told to change his ways or else.  Players around the league and on his own team were ripping him, saying he has no respect for other players' safety and the guy had to go so far a to apologize and vow to change his ways.  Cooke was a major issue for the NHL.  Rinaldo is just not at that point yet, but if he has more games like he did against Buffalo, then I will concede that he is becoming another Matt Cooke, at which point I will hope the Flyers get rid of him.  

I'm certainly not defending his latest hit and I fully agree that a suspension was deserved in this case.    

Edited by Adamflyers
  • Like 1