Rinaldo...2 games coming? (Got 4 games)

flyerrod

Too much confidence .....

Rinaldo had an earlier charging penalty, left his feet, and the principal point of contact was the head.   2 games for sure if not more.

• Like 1

Sorry Flyer fans, but Zac Rinaldo IS an idiot.

I mean, I do like the guy's energy and he ratchets things up when his team is halfway asleep through games, but cmon...almost seems like the guy tries TOO hard sometimes.

With as much good as he does with his hard style of play, he also hurts his team with moronic plays all too often.

If he gets himself a 2-gamer, it will be well earned.

I am all for a 'sandpaper' type guy on the team, but when they come in the variety of "stupid" as this guy does, I gotta say, "no thanks" to that...and hope guys like him can be replaced in the league with others who can play just as hard a brand of hockey, yet with more control and willpower, where he is more a help than a detriment to his team.

Sorry Flyer fans, but Zac Rinaldo IS an idiot.

I mean, I do like the guy's energy and he ratchets things up when his team is halfway asleep through games, but cmon...almost seems like the guy tries TOO hard sometimes.

With as much good as he does with his hard style of play, he also hurts his team with moronic plays all too often.

If he gets himself a 2-gamer, it will be well earned.

I am all for a 'sandpaper' type guy on the team, but when they come in the variety of "stupid" as this guy does, I gotta say, "no thanks" to that...and hope guys like him can be replaced in the league with others who can play just as hard a brand of hockey, yet with more control and willpower, where he is more a help than a detriment to his team.

I can't disagree. I mean, I really like the guy because of the energy you mentioned. And he did draw penalties from other teams and he does have some skill (he'll never be an all star).

But he does do some dumb stuff. He had three minor penalties tonight and I thought every one was earned (there was some disagreement in the chat room but they were wrong).

I wish he could reign it in but I bet he's an example of a player who wouldn't be as effective if he did.

I think your post is on the money

I thought the goalie interference call was very weak.  But I agree it could have been avoided.

Yeah, I thought the goalie interference was weak but the others were no brainers. The guy is a maniac when it comes to making the exciting hits and putting other teams on notice. He has to learn to not get carried away and make a stupid hit like he did tonight. There are no two ways about it. If he does not get the message from the league I would not be surprised at all if Berube grabs him by the scruff of the neck and then boxes his ears.

Edited by flyerrod

Serious question. What responsibility do players have left to keep their heads up?

I can't blame the sabre on Rinaldos match play. He was making a play with the puck and about to make a shot. He was extended, so his head was in a vulnerable position. Its Rinaldos responsibility to not make the play he did. Shoulder to shoulder, fine, but not the stevens deluxe special (forearm shiver) to the head.

I can't blame the sabre on Rinaldos match play. He was making a play with the puck and about to make a shot. He was extended, so his head was in a vulnerable position. Its Rinaldos responsibility to not make the play he did. Shoulder to shoulder, fine, but not the stevens deluxe special (forearm shiver) to the head.

This. There was absolutely no excuse for that hit. It's 110% on Rinaldo. Not only that, the hit there served absolutely no purpose.

Just a stupid stupid play. Especially in a 4-0 game where the opponent had absolutely nothing going. Just simply stupid

Watched Zac playing on the edge tonight and then watched him jump right over it. Dumb/cheap/stupid play and he has probably earned himself a 2 game suspension.

I said 3 in the chat room so we're thinking along similar lines. I think his previous suspension was long enough ago that he doesn't technically qualify as a repeat offender but I'll be interested to see if it plays into this punishment at all anyway

I meant generically.

For the play I'm question, I think he missed the shoulder, but I know I'm likely in a minority of one.

If you tee up a guy and he moves, who has what blame? These plays are so fast in real time.

I meant generically.

For the play I'm question, I think he missed the shoulder, but I know I'm likely in a minority of one.

If you tee up a guy and he moves, who has what blame? These plays are so fast in real time.

I like Rinaldo but that was an inexcusable hit. It definitely was comparable to a Scotty Stevens/Lindros special. Up 4-0 with about 10 minutes left in the game and you decide to give the other team something to play for? DUMB! Did he do it because the Sabres kept trying to run Giroux all night? I don't think we can give him credit for thinking that far ahead but it is possible.

Rinaldo on the hit:

"I had a lot of speed going at him. I put my shoulder down, and as he shot the puck my shoulder hit him clearly," Rinaldo said. "Proof is in the pudding right there. I shouldn't have done it. There's no need for it. We're up 4-0, but it's part of the game.

"That always happens with me. I get on a good streak and then something bad always happens. I try not to think about it too much."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448553

He literally can not stop himself from doing dumb things.

Edited by JackStraw

He literally can not stop himself from doing dumb things.

He does go off the rails once and a while, but he does a better job of staying in control than Downie does. Zack usually takes someone off with him, which is all I really ask. What a terrific weapon this guy is. Here is my first official playoff prediction, Rinaldo will take out a NY defensemen out of the lineup during the 1st round. They will push the puck in the corner, allow the d-man to play it and WHAM....it's Rinaldo time!!!

I like Rinaldo. He brings an energy level that can easily fire up his team, and keeps the other team on their toes. He's a mini heat seeking missile out there, and I love his game. 

That being said, there was really no excuse for that hit. He's still a young guy learning his own limits, and he *is* getting better. Over the past 3 seasons, his PIMs/game have gone down from 3.52 to 2.28. That's a marked improvement. And he's been keeping it clean.

I'm sure he'll get a couple of games for that hit, but I hope he learns from this and comes back a smarter player.

Over the past 3 seasons, his PIMs/game have gone down from 3.52 to 2.28. That's a marked improvement. And he's been keeping it clean.

Interesting stat, but last night he seemed hell-bent on getting his lifetime average back to 3.52

And really.  At 2.28 that's a marked improvement, as you say, but that's like Ted Bundy arguing, "What? I only killed 6 girls this year!"

At 2.28 PIMs/game that still comes out to 187 min./82-game season.    It's still pretty bad, and it's only "good" when one puts it in the context of the absurdity that went before it.  I will agree that he's been doing better at drawing them and with taking someone with him.   But that still brings the total down to 30-40 penalty kills resulting from his "trying not to think about it."   For the love of God, Zach!  TRY to think about it!  Try really really hard!    Wait for some tart from Kansas to walk by and follow her to the Emerald City.  Try!