Round 1 - Penguins vs Blue Jackets

hf101

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the first round series?

Well this series is looking like what was predicted... Bob was so solid till that last-second goal caught him by surprise. Jackets answer in the first minute of the 3rd - steal the momentum right back - and then they go to sleep on D and the floodgates open.

Some bad luck (deflection off Wisniewski) and some bad coverage (Kunitz>Stempniak>goal) turns into disaster for the Jackets.

Crazy how 2-goal leads evaporate in this series...happened every game so far (I think). Last night, Crosby & Malkin 1 assist apiece - yet the Pens put up 4 goals and win a big game on the road. Jackets better tighten it up for G4 or this one's over in 5.

Well this series is looking like what was predicted... Bob was so solid till that last-second goal caught him by surprise. Jackets answer in the first minute of the 3rd - steal the momentum right back - and then they go to sleep on D and the floodgates open.

Some bad luck (deflection off Wisniewski) and some bad coverage (Kunitz>Stempniak>goal) turns into disaster for the Jackets.

Crazy how 2-goal leads evaporate in this series...happened every game so far (I think). Last night, Crosby & Malkin 1 assist apiece - yet the Pens put up 4 goals and win a big game on the road. Jackets better tighten it up for G4 or this one's over in 5.

Every game has been a disaster for whomever has jumped out to the two goal lead.  The Pens finally got a bounce off Wisneiwski to go their way, which made up for the bounce off Atkinson's knee.  I think the Stempniak goal was catching the Jackets on a bad line change but I'm not entirely certain anymore.  Either way, the Pens can and do frequently score in bunches.  You're right though, if the Jackets want to win anything from here on out, you have to figure they need to tighten up.  Bobrovsky was stellar in net for the game, save after save, and not always easy ones either, and it still didn't last.  They're going to have to help him more.  He was under siege for a lot of the game last night.  

I hate the prevent defense. A few things went wrong here. Officiating, Bylsma's prevent defense, a bad bounce off the end boards, then Fleury misplays a 45 footer. The Jackets played hard but it was the Pens to lose. And they did it... Just gave it away.

I was watching but not real closely. What changed?

Pens jumped out to an early 3-0 lead that's what. Then, as me and Mrs Podein headed out the door to buy a 72' plasma TV, she said: "Worse lead in hockey, doesn't bode well for the Yinzers" [Mrs Podein has apparently started to talk like she's from south Philly]

A few things went wrong here. Officiating...

Bwhahahahahaha!

Edited by Podein25

Pens jumped out to an early 3-0 lead that's what. Then, as me and Mrs Podein headed out the door to buy a 72' plasma TV, she said: "Worse lead in hockey, doesn't bode well for the Yinzers" [Mrs Podein has apparently started to talk like she's from south Philly]

Bwhahahahahaha!

This series has been horrid. Lol

This series has been horrid. Lol

Agreed. Reffing is at an all-time worst. In tonight's game they call 3 in a row against CBJ, two of which were chintzy. Then, because they realize what boneheads they are, in part because of the abuse they are taking from the CBJ bench and fans, they call a make-up call on Neal for interference. It was interference - it's a pick play that goes uncalled all the time - but they only called it because it was a make-up call.

And on it goes. Brutal. Brutal. Brutal.

Agreed. Reffing is at an all-time worst. In tonight's game they call 3 in a row against CBJ, two of which were chintzy. Then, because they realize what boneheads they are, in part because of the abuse they are taking from the CBJ bench and fans, they call a make-up call on Neal for interference. It was interference - it's a pick play that goes uncalled all the time - but they only called it because it was a make-up call.

Crosby's stick slashed five feet from the net trying to shoot, no call. Niskanen called for a trip when Dubinsky just fell... Bad call. I think it was Anisimov called for hooking when Maatta fell,... Bad call. Kunitz for diving after his forearm was nearly amputated... Bad call. The list goes on and on. The second period they were on the Columbus payroll. Third they weren't watching the game at all, either direction. It's anybody's guess what they'll call.

@Polaris922

Yeah it was awful all around. Wouldn't it just be better to call nothing? At least that way it has a chance of being fair. But when you can't get a single call right either way, all it does is breed confusion and contempt on the part of the players (not to mention the fans). It makes me sad. And angry. Yeah, angry.

How about that goal MAF wiffed on yesterday?!?!   A wrist shot from the point, CBC said it was an ultra sonic 65 MPH....LMAO!!   No way should that have gone in, he had a perfect unobstructed view of that fluttery pipedream of a shot. Absolutely BRUTAL attempt at a save!!  If Columbus goes on to win this series, that will 100% be the TSN turning point of the series. Another classic  CHOKE by MAF! You could tell that goal deflated the entire Pens team....they will be hard pressed to come back from that leaky piece of crap.

How about that goal MAF wiffed on yesterday?!?! A wrist shot from the point, CBC said it was an ultra sonic 65 MPH....LMAO!! No way should that have gone in, he had a perfect unobstructed view of that fluttery pipedream of a shot. Absolutely BRUTAL attempt at a save!! If Columbus goes on to win this series, that will 100% be the TSN turning point of the series. Another classic CHOKE by MAF! You could tell that goal deflated the entire Pens team....they will be hard pressed to come back from that leaky piece of crap.

He definitely screwed up that one. Now we'll find out whether that shrink was worth it or not. He's played very well. Actually was stealing the game till the behind the net gaffe. Now we'll see.

Actually, the make up call on the third penalty was the bogus dive on Kunitz which nullifed the slash, the interference call a minute later was just icing on the cake.

But the Pens have no one to blame but themselves. DFG put them in a defensive shell, they backed into their own zone and left open the neutral zone.   They helped create pressure that the Jackets kept on them.  Any time you do that, you are going to take those penalties.

It was the laziness on the Dubinsky goal had me. TWO jackets went hard at the puck on the dump in and skated right past Scuderi and Adams so that Fleury felt the need to play the puck.  If either of them gets to the puck first, this doesn't happen. 

Isn't it funny how Philly fans are the biggest whiners....except when other teams lose their fans do the same thing?

My pointing out the factors that went bad for us is whining now?? I'm confused at your point on this one. What does it have to do with Philly fans whining?

@Polaris922

Come on Polaris - you know if someone complained about officiating in a Flyers loss we'd hear about it from you guys. Just pointing out it goes both ways, or all ways. Everyone does it at some point when they lose.

I think I was pretty clear that its horrible all around. Not just against us but for us as well. It's handicapping the series. It's truly a debacle.

I think I was pretty clear that its horrible all around. Not just against us but for us as well. It's handicapping the series. It's truly a debacle.

Well actually, you weren't....

I hate the prevent defense. A few things went wrong here. Officiating, Bylsma's prevent defense, a bad bounce off the end boards, then Fleury misplays a 45 footer. The Jackets played hard but it was the Pens to lose. And they did it... Just gave it away.

That doesn't really read like it was bad both ways. Which is why I responded like I did.

After reading down a few more posts, you mentioned it, but I'd already responded. :) 

Pens fans tend to complain about bad officiating when it's actually....you know....bad.

Flyers fans tend to complain about "bad" officiating...well...all the time.

It's kinda like the story about the boy who cried wolf.  Do it enough and eventually no one takes you seriously. ;)

@B21

Sure....if you're on a predominantly Flyer-fan based board.

Of course go to a Pens fan based board and......well, that's why you guys are here, right?

Like Don Corleone said...."Keep yinz friends close and yinz enemies closer....n'at."