Matt Cooke knee on knee

yave1964

Matt Cooke hit Tyson Barrie of the Colorado Avalanche knee on knee and was given a two minute penalty for kneeing in the Wild's 1-0 victory over the Avalanche last night.

Cooke has been in trouble with the league before, but not during the three years of the department of player safety's existence because he had worked to change the way he approaches hits.

Though he still plays a rugged game, he hasn't been suspended since he got 10 regular-season games and the first round of the playoffs for elbowing New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh in 2011.

Barrie will miss the next 4 to 6 weeks. He was the key to the Avalanche offense from the blue line this year having a breakout season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/matt-cooke-gets-in-person-hearing-with-nhl-after-knee-on-knee-hit-073331179.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That was as intentional as it gets. I would make sure he is suspended for the rest of the season for that one. Intentional knee on knee hit that put his opponent out for 6 weeks or more. Although Cooke has been playing within the rules since his arrival from Pittsburgh, that play alone ends any good will he had built up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/matt-cooke-gets-in-person-hearing-with-nhl-after-knee-on-knee-hit-073331179.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

That was as intentional as it gets. I would make sure he is suspended for the rest of the season for that one. Intentional knee on knee hit that put his opponent out for 6 weeks or more. Although Cooke has been playing within the rules since his arrival from Pittsburgh, that play alone ends any good will he had built up.

Tyson Barrie had a breakout year for the Avalanche and filled an important role and filled it nicely running the point. He had several game winners down the stretch and is one of those under the radar players who are so important to a team.

But that does not matter. It would not matter if it was a scrub or a star, it was deliberate knee on knee causing a player to essentially miss the rest of the year. Cooke deserves whatever he gets. IMHO it seriously damaged the Avalanche hopes of winning a cup by losing their best offensive d-man.

Cooke is been offered a in person hearing by the NHL which means his suspension could be more than 5 games.  

So lets see, Dustin Brown has been banned 1 game for kneeing Hertl who was out most of the regular season and Brown has delivered his share of controversial hits.

Neal got 5 games for kneeing Marchand.  Which means that Cooke will likely get more than Neal.  

I figure at least 6 games even with Cookies good behavior in the last 18 months.

The apologists will say he has been an angel for the last 3 years. Enough is enough. This is coming from the guy that thought Seabrooks hit was fine. If Seabrook gets 3, Cooke gets 20- mostly because of history.

I'd go remainder of the playoffs.  If they are eliminated then 10-15 carrying into next season.

He's officially reached Pronger / Simon / Bertuzzi status in my book. So much for redemption.  :ph34r:

NHL Network guys - Kevin Weeks and the other guy - are saying 12 games would be about right considering Cooke's history.

The angle from behind Cooke makes it look like an accident - he doesn't lunge toward Barrie or stick his knee out at the last second.

but watching it again...The reason he doesn't stick his knee out because it's already out - Cooke skates with his knee leading the way...what a classy guy (dick).

So Barrie is looking at 4-6 weeks and Matt Cooke is still a parasite.

Here's the thing that is completely ridiculous.

By definition, Matt Cooke is NOT a repeat offender.  It's been greater than 18 months since his last suspension(if what I'm reading is correct).  SO...by the league's own definition/policy/standard/historical track record, how does he get more than 5 games?  Again, applying the logic/definition of 1st time offender the NHL has devised.

This is by NO means a defense for Cooke.  Granted, the players injury comes in to play as well, but we've seen equally nasty hits/plays with injury, and not a 12-15 game type suspension.  

What a joke the league's discipline policy is(yes, I know, redundant statement we've all said 1000 times before).

Or am I missing something?  Other than....he's a repeat offender, but technically we won't CALL him that.  But we'll discipline him as one...

Going back to my earlier post and for those stating that Cooke should sit the rest of the playoffs, or 10 plus games. Why is it that Cooke might get greater than 10 games and yet Bickel got off with no suspension for his knee on knee hit to Sbotka?  Bickel made the same move Cooke did.  Sbotka wasn't injured.  So the same action gets 0 compared to 10+ games?

Anyone else question the promptness of the report of how long Barrie  is suggested to be out?  Generally I thought most severe knee injuries needed a day or so for the swelling to identify the extent of the injury.

Cooke has had by a clean record for 18 months as per league rules that should have some influence.  Others have been injured on knee on knee collisions where they have been out 4-6 weeks and the greatest suspension I could find was on Neal for 5 games.  What makes Cooke's hit deserving of a suspension greater than 5 games?  Yeah, maybe past history but players under the new cba are supposed to have a clean slate after 18months.  

bickell.gif

Anyone else question the promptness of the report of how long Barrie is suggested to be out?

that's a great point. They said "4-6 weeks" and he was barely off the ice! I don't pretend to know what it means - whether there's some conspiracy going on - but it was strange to hear them come out with that diagnosis so quickly.

Here's the thing that is completely ridiculous.

By definition, Matt Cooke is NOT a repeat offender.  It's been greater than 18 months since his last suspension(if what I'm reading is correct).  SO...by the league's own definition/policy/standard/historical track record, how does he get more than 5 games?  Again, applying the logic/definition of 1st time offender the NHL has devised.

This is by NO means a defense for Cooke.  Granted, the players injury comes in to play as well, but we've seen equally nasty hits/plays with injury, and not a 12-15 game type suspension.  

What a joke the league's discipline policy is(yes, I know, redundant statement we've all said 1000 times before).

Or am I missing something?  Other than....he's a repeat offender, but technically we won't CALL him that.  But we'll discipline him as one...

So because he has been clean for 18 months, we should ignore his previous history of intentionally injuring players? This is a guy who has ended careers in the past. Incidents should stick with him until the day he hangs up his skates.

In everyday life, if you had a history of aggravated assault, but have been clean for 18 months, I guarantee you the judge is still going to weigh in past incidents in your punishment because of the need to send a message based on threat level.

And I would say the same thing if it was Raffi torres

that's a great point. They said "4-6 weeks" and he was barely off the ice! I don't pretend to know what it means - whether there's some conspiracy going on - but it was strange to hear them come out with that diagnosis so quickly.

Torn MCL. Same thing that happened to hertl when Brown kneed him.

Hertl was out much longer than 4-6 weeks though.

I'd go remainder of the playoffs.  If they are eliminated then 10-15 carrying into next season.

He's officially reached Pronger / Simon / Bertuzzi status in my book. So much for redemption.  :ph34r:

Actually, he's reached Cooke status...which he already had.

So because he has been clean for 18 months, we should ignore his previous history of intentionally injuring players? This is a guy who has ended careers in the past. Incidents should stick with him until the day he hangs up his skates.

In everyday life, if you had a history of aggravated assault, but have been clean for 18 months, I guarantee you the judge is still going to weigh in past incidents in your punishment because of the need to send a message based on threat level.

Right, which I think is what he is saying. I agree the NHL's policy regarding that 18 month period is silly, if they indeed hold to it.  

Dirty hit by Cooke. Hate to see a player taken out like that.

I agree 100% with you.  My issue is the absolute STUPIDITY of the "18 month rule" and the slate supposedly being washed clean.  There is no way in hell, that happens. 

So stop with the charade, and just hammer people when they cross the line.  

I agree 100% with you.  My issue is the absolute STUPIDITY of the "18 month rule" and the slate supposedly being washed clean.  There is no way in hell, that happens. 

So stop with the charade, and just hammer people when they cross the line.  

I know. That's is what boggles my mind.

I was agreeing with you, but I realize my post probably sounded different. I was just trying to post incredulity

Going back to my earlier post and for those stating that Cooke should sit the rest of the playoffs, or 10 plus games. Why is it that Cooke might get greater than 10 games and yet Bickel got off with no suspension for his knee on knee hit to Sbotka?  Bickel made the same move Cooke did.  Sbotka wasn't injured.  So the same action gets 0 compared to 10+ games?

Anyone else question the promptness of the report of how long Barrie  is suggested to be out?  Generally I thought most severe knee injuries needed a day or so for the swelling to identify the extent of the injury.

Cooke has had by a clean record for 18 months as per league rules that should have some influence.  Others have been injured on knee on knee collisions where they have been out 4-6 weeks and the greatest suspension I could find was on Neal for 5 games.  What makes Cooke's hit deserving of a suspension greater than 5 games?  Yeah, maybe past history but players under the new cba are supposed to have a clean slate after 18months.  

I think the Neal incident is little different. Knee to the head versus knee on knee.  I wouldn't use that as a comparison.  The Bickell knee on knee is a good comparison though.  They seem to be more lenient when it comes to knee on knee or slewfooting.  OV and Subban being perfect examples.

About the clean slate after 18 months - I think the NHL is being selective on when they use that.

Take Neal's 5 games for kneeing Marchand.  The 5 was deserved - not arguing that.  However, Shanahan mentioned Neal's "history" in his video.  Neal was suspended for that on 12/9/13.  His most recent prior suspension (or fine) was 4/17/12.   That's more than 18 months....technically Neal had a "clean slate" but Shanahan admitted to using Neal's history in deciding on the 5 games.

Cooke's last suspension was 3/21/11 - over 3 years ago.  I don't have an issue if the NHL uses it (I disagree with the 18 month rule) but technically they can't.  Very curious to see what they do with this one.