Vile Leino Invited to Bruins Camp

Podein25

Sometimes pro teams make decisions that make no sense.

Leino scored ZERO goals last year.  He's no defensive star.  Why would the Bruins (or any other team) spend the money to support him in camp?   Why in hell did Buffalo give him time on the power play?        

I said on the shoutbox:

Perhaps Boston is figuring Leino can only go "up", seeing how awful he was last year.

Also, Boston has more guys to take the bulk of the workload while Leino may only have to do one or two things right with them...yea, I know, scoring goals is one of them, but saying, the Bruins are in much better competitive shape than the Sabres and thus, pressure on Leino would be nil....at least in  theory.

THEN, there is the fact that maybe the Bruins would like to slap the Sabres in the face by culling success out of a guy Buffalo couldn't?  ;)

I think people are making far to much out of this no goal season from Ville. Let's try to put the whole thing into proper perspective. Leino has played 137 games for the Sabres. He has 10 goals in those games. That is double digit's people. Just say'in, that does sound a tad better than no goals, huh?

Should I reconsider my plans to dump him at roster freeze deadline prior to my upcoming draft? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729718

p.s. that's not a misspelling of his name, it's just the unvarnished truth about his game

As vile as reading that makes me feel, what makes me more vile is:

"Chiarelli also told reporters the Bruins signed defenseman Steve Eminger to an American Hockey League contract and right wing Matt Fraser to a one-year, two-way contract."

For those that don't know Steve Eminger cost us John Carlson. 

If you look at the Bruins roster they are dangerously thin at the Wing position, they have dangled Boychuk, a very serviceable blueliner out there for every talented low salary player in the game, rumors are Boychuk/Jurco has been discussed but the Wings and Bruins, in the same division while needing help themselves canot bring it among themselves to help the other.

So this move, along with signing Simon Gagne makes sense in a kind of sort of way, I hate Lieno, he sucks, but look at the Bruins wingers, past the first couple they really don't have much to offer. And zero cap room as well.

Low risk, if he stinks in camp they let him walk, if he does well with good players like on a line with say Leino - Soderberg - Erikson then maybe you offer him league minimum to play and still no harm for a cash strapped team.... BUT.... not expecting much from him, not sure he fits the mould.

Gange, you never really know to be honest! Likely its same situation it's low risk, no commitment.

• 3 weeks later...

If there's a team that Leino could possibly contribute on, it just may be the Bruins.

As was stated, very low risk for Boston.

I personally don't think he's an NHL player, but he's worth the look.

He was able to score 19 goals and 53 points at one time. He may be able to regain that form in a different environment.

@J0e Th0rnton  Ville was a one trick pony. Defenders caught on to his slight hesitation, semi turn thingy he did during his big point season....and they took it away, he starts that hesitation and he gets buried....lol.

BREAKING NEWS: Leino scores and breaks the tie in the game versus the Redwings saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boston Bruins' experiment with NHL veteran forward Ville Leino is over. Leino, who was bought out by the Buffalo Sabres in the offseason, was released from his tryout contract by the club per general manager Peter Chiarelli

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24730473/bruins-release-ville-leino-from-tryout-deal

The Boston Bruins' experiment with NHL veteran forward Ville Leino is over. Leino, who was bought out by the Buffalo Sabres in the offseason, was released from his tryout contract by the club per general manager Peter Chiarelli

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24730473/bruins-release-ville-leino-from-tryout-deal

Well, that lasted about as long as a Giroux-Cop affair.

Hmmm...absolute fail in Buffalo, can't even catch on as a depth player with a veteran team such as Boston...where to now for Ville?

This will surely test his resolve and desire to play in the NHL.....does he latch on with an AHL team, work his arse off, and fix whatever the hell it is that ails him?

Or perhaps he goes overseas (closer to home for him), and work there to try to make it back to the NHL...or perhaps stay in one of the KHL, Swedish, or Finnish leagues as perhaps that may be the highest rung he may achieve?

Gut check time for the 30 yr old Fin....

Hmmm...absolute fail in Buffalo, can't even catch on as a depth player with a veteran team such as Boston...where to now for Ville?

Was just gonna post about the KHL or European / Swedish Leagues and noticed that you mentioned that in your post......Great minds think alike! ;)

Was just gonna post about the KHL or European / Swedish Leagues and noticed that you mentioned that in your post......Great minds think alike! ;)

Hah...yea....  :)

But honestly, unless he decides he will try to do something other than be a hockey player, there really isn't anywhere for him to play but a Euro league or the AHL.

And if I were he, unless he has set down some solid roots in North America, I'd want to play in Finnish Elite League (Liiga), be closer to family, and at least be somewhere where I've seen better success.

But if he honestly feels that, even at age 30 (soon to be 31), that he has something left for an NHL team, the AHL or KHL would be the way to go.

Granted, the Bruins didn't even feel Leino was worth an AHL contract, but there are minor league teams out there that can use a veteran player...though exactly what kind of 'veteran presence' Leino can supply (if any) is the whole sticking point of him not being able to stay with a team.

Hah...yea....  :)

But honestly, unless he decides he will try to do something other than be a hockey player, there really isn't anywhere for him to play but a Euro league or the AHL.

And if I were he, unless he has set down some solid roots in North America, I'd want to play in Finnish Elite League (Liiga), be closer to family, and at least be somewhere where I've seen better success.

But if he honestly feels that, even at age 30 (soon to be 31), that he has something left for an NHL team, the AHL or KHL would be the way to go.

Granted, the Bruins didn't even feel Leino was worth an AHL contract, but there are minor league teams out there that can use a veteran player...though exactly what kind of 'veteran presence' Leino can supply (if any) is the whole sticking point of him not being able to stay with a team.

Veteran knowledge:  How to make a ton of money while not scoring a single goal.

Archived