Son of Isles Great Gerry Hart Charged in Boogard Death

Podein25

Interesting development here:

...a former minor-league hockey player with lifelong ties to the New York Islanders, was indicted Tuesday, charged with the illegal distribution of a controlled substance. Jordan Hart, 31, faces as many as 20 years in prison.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/man-indicted-on-charges-of-selling-prescription-pills-to-derek-boogaard/article20497670/

Interesting development here: ...a former minor-league hockey player with lifelong ties to the New York Islanders, was indicted Tuesday, charged with the illegal distribution of a controlled substance. Jordan Hart, 31, faces as many as 20 years in prison.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/man-indicted-on-charges-of-selling-prescription-pills-to-derek-boogaard/article20497670/

If the only charge is delivery and intent to deliver, and if the man has no criminal history, this is a probation case 9 times out if 10 in any major city. Some places have aggravating factors when distribution leads to death that puts them in jail, but there's no mention if that in the article. I'm assuming that means they're federal charges, so anything goes.

If the only charge is delivery and intent to deliver, and if the man has no criminal history, this is a probation case 9 times out if 10 in any major city. Some places have aggravating factors when distribution leads to death that puts them in jail, but there's no mention if that in the article. I'm assuming that means they're federal charges, so anything goes.

Ok, good to know. But don't the comments form the US attorney for the Southern District of New York at the end of the story suggest something along those lines?:

"fuelled at least in part by the drugs that Johnson illegally prescribed, and Hart peddled for cash, culminated in Boogaard’s tragic overdose death.”

Ok, good to know. But don't the comments form the US attorney for the Southern District of New York at the end of the story suggest something along those lines?:

"fuelled at least in part by the drugs that Johnson illegally prescribed, and Hart peddled for cash, culminated in Boogaard’s tragic overdose death.”

I'm not sure. My experience with US Attorneys is they usually only take cases that are easily won, so that means evidence must be overwhelming. I don't know if they could feel that way about proving those were the pills he overdosed on.

I had a killer theft of trade secrets case won in state court involving Navy secrets, and the US Attorney wouldn't go to bat against the stealing company because it wasn't an easy win. You just never know.

Such a sad story. Almost as sad as the cash grab by the Boogard family whoa re trying to sue the NHL.

I dunno.  Maybe suing is the best way to grab the attention of the NHL to make changes in the way they've rushed players back onto the ice, or the way they need to interact with the players union.  One has to think the new drug testing and education in the AHL this season is a result of somebody finally standing up to the powers of the NHL and it's organizations.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all fun and games until somebody dies.

If he just smoked the buddha he'd still be alive....................the fridge would be bare.................but that would just call for a trip to the grocery store!!! 

I think the shoddy level of medical care which Boogaard received is far more sad than the lawsuit brought by his family.

-During just a six month period from Oct 08 to Apr 09, Boogaard was given 25 prescriptions for hydrocodone and oxycontin pills by eight different Minnesota Wild team doctors, a Minneapolis oral surgeon, and the doctor of another team. That is 622 doses of Vicodin and hillbilly heroine. Both teams were fully aware of his problems, yet continued to prescribe the very meds to which he was addicted.

-Teammates were beginning to note that his personality effectively disappeared. He would fall asleep in the middle of card games, sitting at his locker, and team doctors were privately speaking to his teammates, asking that they not share any of their pills with Boogaard.

-Boogaard was able to pass a Rangers the mental portion of his medical exam, despite not being able to do something as simple as thinking of a word which began with the letter 'r.

-In the fall of 2010, the Rangers were notified by Boogaard's own father of his continuing abuse of painkillers... And then promptly wrote up five more prescriptions for hydrocodone.

-Another Rangers doctor, knowing that he was dealing with an addict, 10 prescriptions for Ambien, another highly addictive med.

-Boogaard was able to receive these scripts by simply texting team doctors, with no notes even being made in his medical file.

-Records uncovered for the case also show additional scripts for things like anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.

Interesting development here: ...a former minor-league hockey player with lifelong ties to the New York Islanders, was indicted Tuesday, charged with the illegal distribution of a controlled substance. Jordan Hart, 31, faces as many as 20 years in prison.

The whole situation is disgusting imo. Yet, at the same time it is reality (go refer to Theo Fleury's book or go talk to Grant Fuhr or Bob Probert).

The only thing that makes this such a highlight is that the NHL does not have the visibility to these kinds of problems the way that the NFL, NBA and MBL do (though the MBL covers it up as good as anyone- go ask the US Congress).

In this situation, I am unsure why Hart would be subject to indictment and not johnson. If you want to stop a problem, you cut the head off the snake and not the tail- so to speak.

Both should be punished. And frankly, Boogard has culpability in this as well. He is the one to acquire the drugs. Whether it was Hart / Johnson, you could supplant those name with smith / richards, etc.

Archived