Ryan turned down 7 years / $49M

brelic

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/report-ryan-turned-down-sens-seven-year-49m-offer/

Details are starting to emerge from the on-again, off-again contract extension talks between Bobby Ryan and Ottawa.

From the Sun’s Don Brennan:

Amid unconfirmed rumours Ryan turned down a seven-year, $49 million offer, talks between him and the team have been put on hold.

Ryan, another player the Senators cannot afford to lose for nothing, told a TV reporter he did not want to discuss his contract situation when he was approached at Sensplex Tuesday.

Brennan’s cohort at the Sun, Bruce Garrioch, also reported the Sens offered Ryan a seven-year extension, but didn’t shed any light on the financial side of things.  Ryan, for what it’s worth, said his contract won’t be an issue — “when you get out there, you forget about it,” he explained.

Regardless of what Ryan says, this is going to be a focal point throughout the season. The Sens paid a small bounty to acquire his services last summer knowing he had just two years remaining on his current deal, and year one in Ottawa was something of a bust; Ryan was OK, scoring 23 goals and 48 points in 70 games, but the Sens missed the playoffs and Ryan missed the final 12 games of the regular season with a sports hernia.

(He was also infamously snubbed from the U.S. Olympic team, in case you forgot that saga.)

The former Anaheim Duck could be eyeing free agency. Ryan turns 28 in March and has never gone unrestricted in his career, having inked  a five-year, $25.5 million pact with Anaheim following the expiration of his entry-level contract. If Ryan does intend on testing the market, Ottawa could find itself in a position where it’s forced to move him at the deadline, rather than face the prospect of losing one of its key assets for nothing.

That said, Ryan is saying all the right things to suggest he wants to stick in the Canadian capital. He said he’s talked to GM Bryan Murray and head coach Paul MacLean about an increased leadership role — important, since Ottawa’s last two captains are no longer with the team — and said he’d like to expand his on-ice duties, which includes getting time on the penalty kill.

@brelic   Wow, does this guy think he's worth a max contract or something. As a 27 year old, he puts up 23 goals and 44 pts and he is turning down that kinda cash?  Back 4 or 5 years ago he was scoring in the low to mid 30's when he was with the Ducks. He does not really create a lot on his own, he needs a high end center to really light it up, something the Sens don't really have at this point....maybe Turris turns into that, but he's not gonna help out Ryan a lot next year I figure.

He either wants out of Ottawa

Based on his other comments, where he said he'd like to wait and see what the year brings (paraphrasing), I'd say he doesn't want to be in Ottawa (or Canada for that matter). And who could blame him? With it's cold, wet winters and with all the boring government types who live there, there's not much attractive about the place (ok, there's cops's butts to grab, but really that's not enough) 

@brelic

He'd look good as Girouxs left winger....but not at that price.

The guy played with Getzlaf and Perry....who do just fine without him. He's hardly The Man.

We might have a cheaper guy in Schenn who can put up 30 goals. Just as soon as Giroux's groin gets better. *sigh*

Wonder who Philly trades for him????

I know Flyer fans have talked about Ryan joining them for years, he would be a perfect fit on the top line with Giroux feeding him the puck.

His value will never be lower, coming off a meh year, an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season and having turned down a 7 year 49 million dollar contract. A serviceable forward, a good prospect and a pick should net Ryan in return.

How about:

Matt Read, Petr Straka and first rounder for Ryan? Too much? Not enough?

You know, I have always thought of Bobby Ryan as a pretty good player, and sure, he may need the right linemates to get the most out of him....

But after seeing his tenure in Anaheim, his subsequent trading to the Sens, his underwhelming performance while with Ottawa, then some finger pointing on his part followed by turning down a more than fair offer (as some have said, this offer may even be MORE than he is actually worth), I am starting to really question his character, and quite frankly, his stones.....

The guy, to me, is coming off a bit of a whiny, crybaby type...things don't go his way, he seems to pout, get all emotional, and look for a reason why "it's someone else's fault".

I really don't like that in a professional athlete, and I could be way off on this, but that is the gist I am getting from this guy.

He cried a bit in the media when he was traded from Anaheim, something to the tune of "I was just as valuable as Getzlaf and/or Perry....why did I HAVE to go?"

Now, the "Mr. Coach didn't utilize me properly" song...

I don't know...whomever does end up with him, let's hope they have some good linemates for him and "uses him properly", otherwise, max contract (or close to it or not), he may break out the violins and sob stories once again.....   :huh:

Just focus, use your God-given talents, and PLAY THE GAME, MAN!!

@brelic

There's no way in hell Ryan is worth more than that offer. He either wants out of Ottawa (which is fine) or he's delusional.

This.  He can't come out and say he wants out but I think anyone coming off his 2013-14 who turns down that deal is doing it because they don't want to play for the team who offered it.

Archived