Leafs at Flyers....some thoughts.

jammer2

Meanwhile, back in Toronto...

Nothing to get too excited about fro this game. Del Zotto looks good, that's encouraging. Morin looks ok but definitely not ready for the NHL. Flyers are pretty much outmanned in this game.

Yeah, not a lot to get excited about in this second game. Agreed on Del Zotto, he has showed up in fine shape. I like how Cousins has kept his feet moving. He will provide depth in case of injury. I'm confident he can step in and provide some solid play.

Yeah, not a lot to get excited about in this second game. Agreed on Del Zotto, he has showed up in fine shape. I like how Cousins has kept his feet moving. He will provide depth in case of injury. I'm confident he can step in and provide some solid play.

The last few minutes have been ugly. The Flyers really have no one who can drive the offense other than Giroux and Jake. I feel bad for Mason, he was good but he basically had an AHL team in front of him. Oh well. Hopefully that's the last we see of some of these guys for a while.

@JackStraw   That was one of my best posts ever!!  Once and a while my intelligent touchpad stops working (at least that's what the warning says) and it leaves me no option but to exit the page, the only thing that is still working. Even worse, their is no internal fixing it....I'm gonna put in my USP driven key board and mouse and fix it that way.

@JackStraw   That was one of my best posts ever!!  Once and a while my intelligent touchpad stops working (at least that's what the warning says) and it leaves me no option but to exit the page, the only thing that is still working. Even worse, their is no internal fixing it....I'm gonna put in my USP driven key board and mouse and fix it that way.

There was absolutely nothing in that post that I could disagree with!

I don't understand putting Mason in with the AHL team tonight.  I don't know how that can get him off to a good start. 

I liked the idea of him starting the game, getting some work facing Kessel and JVR, etc. - the Leafs' "A" roster basically - but to leave him in the whole game was a bit odd to me.

After watching  JVR's goal last night,it really put the icing on the cake.  No doubt one of Homer's HOF trades.

Was it a bad trade - yes.   Does JvR still vanish when it counts - yes...  Not sure how JvR playing against a bunch of AHLers would make you finally put the "icing on the cake" as far as that trade is concerned.  Interesting...

Was it a bad trade - yes.   Does JvR still vanish when it counts - yes...  Not sure how JvR playing against a bunch of AHLers would make you finally put the "icing on the cake" as far as that trade is concerned.  Interesting...

He's gotten better each year he's been in the league.

Phi, 0.45 pts/game

Phi, 0.53 pts/game

Phi, 0.56 pts/game

Tor, 0.67 pts/game

Tor, 0.76 pts/game

And he's now officially a 30-goal scorer. He would look awesome on the top line with G and Jake.

At least Luke Schenn hits a lot. Because that's *all* we got in return.

Thought Simmonds looked a little rusty last night, but it's preseason so not to worry.  Rinaldo didn't seem to have much of an impact.  Mason had some stellar point blank saves - probably one too many - but given the Flyers lineup, not really all that surprising.  Del Zotto got burned on that first JVR goal - who ended up alone in front of the net.  Noticed on at least two of their goals - the first and last - that the Leafs were in behind our defenders, right in front of the net.  That kinda makes me nervous - but again, given our lineup........ 

Finally, I sure did get sick and tired of hearing Nylander this and Nylander that.  Man, Toronto sure has a woody for that kid.  I have a feeling I'm going to really hate watching him play against the Flyers - or any team for that matter.  I'll call him out right now as a punk.  :lol:

Edit -- Forgot to add that I really enjoyed watching Cousins play.  He's going to be fun to watch as he develops and gets some more ice time.  Huge potential there for our third round pick.

Thought Simmonds looked a little rusty last night, but it's preseason so not to worry.  Rinaldo didn't seem to have much of an impact.  Mason had some stellar point blank saves - probably one too many - but given the Flyers lineup, not really all that surprising.  Del Zotto got burned on that first JVR goal - who ended up alone in front of the net.  Noticed on at least two of their goals - at least the first and last - that the Leafs were in behind our defenders, right in front of the net.  That kinda makes me nervous - but again, given our lineup........ 

Finally, I sure did get sick and tired of hearing Nylander this and Nylander that.  Man, Toronto sure has a woody for that kid.  I have a feeling I'm going to really hate watching him play against the Flyers - or any team for that matter.  I'll call him out right now as a punk.  :lol:

Kid's got talent for sure. He is an exciting player for them. BUT... yes, they were fawning on him waaay too much. And yes, as a result, I hate the kid too. 

@Commander Clueless

Ya, I thought it was quite sporting for the Leafs to put their NHL team out against a team half full of prospects in a preseason game.  :thumbsd:

Totally agreed. Also, totally not the first time we've seen Toronto do that in these games. I feel like they do it every year. However, our guys were just plain sloppy. Could it be the extra pressure from playing against the likes of Kessel, Lupul and JVR!? I guess so, but hey... you wanna play in the NHL, well here's your chance. I was not impressed with anyone last night, except Akeson. Mini Giroux. 

@Commander Clueless

Ya, I thought it was quite sporting for the Leafs to put their NHL team out against a team half full of prospects in a preseason game.  :thumbsd:

Well I'm guessing they saw that Philly decided to ice an AHL team, so the Leafs decided to follow suit. It wouldn't have been very challenging for the Flyers otherwise. ;)

Archived