Who will be the First Coach Fired in 2014 -15?

hf101

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach do you think will be fired first in 2014-15?

• Randy Carlyle
    • Jack Capuano
    • Craig Berube
    • Paul MacLean
    • Dallas Eakins
    • Bob Hartley
    • Dave Tippett
    • Todd McLellan
    • Other

I am thinking you are right on this. The runner up is going to be Roy in Colorado. While they certainly overachieved last year, they are a mess this year. But giving up 27 goals in 6 games is going to be unacceptable for any team at the NHL level. In Edmonton, it should be a clean sweep (Lowe, McTavish, Eakins).

It's kinda funny. Nobody wanted to run Roy out of town last year, when the team had a GF% about ten points higher than their CF%. He rode Varlamov's career year and that unsustainable number all the way to a Jack Adams award. I don't know if he's a good coach or a bad one, but I can see that the Avs haven't improved at all in possession for years, including before he showed up, so he's probably not a terrible coach by any means.

Just because he got lucky last year, it didn't make him great then, and it doesn't make him bad now.

• 2 weeks later...

How long before Ted Nolan just says eff it and walks out of First Niagara Center?

Nolan is between a rock and a hard place. This was his only route back into the NHL and if he blows this, he's likely done as an NHL coach.

Agreed, I just don't think he has the temperament to endure the shitshow that currently takes the ice every night in Buffalo. Word on the local radio here today is that Nolan got so upset at the lazy, uninspired effort in practice yesterday that he broke a few sticks before storming off the ice.

• 4 weeks later...

Eakins for now appears to be safe in however McLellen knows he is in the hot seat as the Sharks are not where they expected to be at this time this season., but then this team doesn't have a captain either.

“I feel confident with myself and the coaching staff, but I’m also a realist,” McLellan said on Monday. “I know that the team hasn’t performed to the level that any of us are happy with — not just ownership and management, but also coaches and players aren’t happy with the results.”

McLellan added, “I know the business.”

Might need to add Pete DeBoer to this list. The Devils blew a multi goal lead for the second time in the last three games tonight. Add to that complete no shows in Winnipeg and Vancouver lately, and the Devils have won just 6 of their last 20 games since starting the season 3-0 (which was only their second winning streak of 3 or more since the beginning of last season). It's not looking very good for this team right now.

Might need to add Pete DeBoer to this list. The Devils blew a multi goal lead for the second time in the last three games tonight. Add to that complete no shows in Winnipeg and Vancouver lately, and the Devils have won just 6 of their last 20 games since starting the season 3-0 (which was only their second winning streak of 3 or more since the beginning of last season). It's not looking very good for this team right now.

I wrote in my recap under the Wings section that I don't understand the defensive positioning of the Devils blue line. They seldom seemed to collapse in front of Schneider, not just last night but in several games that I have watched this year. Getting behind them and all alone in front of Schneider for 5-8 feet away. 3 of the Wings goals were actually scored that way.

Is this a planned strategy? Does Schneider prefer to face the shooter one on one in close rather than be screened? Or are the Devils d-men that slow? They are the only team I have seen who have this happen to consistently. I would start by ripping the d-men and telling them it is unacceptable to not have them collapse in. Andy Greene plays a great game, I like Gelinas although he plays an unusual style, the other kid, Steverson looked raw but talented. Zidlicky looks really, really old, Elias and his Chech Mix be damned. He simply looks awful.

But yeah, if the defensive style is on purpose then i have to question Deboar for doing it that way. If not, then the personel needs changed.

I wrote in my recap under the Wings section that I don't understand the defensive positioning of the Devils blue line. They seldom seemed to collapse in front of Schneider, not just last night but in several games that I have watched this year. Getting behind them and all alone in front of Schneider for 5-8 feet away. 3 of the Wings goals were actually scored that way.

Is this a planned strategy? Does Schneider prefer to face the shooter one on one in close rather than be screened? Or are the Devils d-men that slow? They are the only team I have seen who have this happen to consistently. I would start by ripping the d-men and telling them it is unacceptable to not have them collapse in. Andy Greene plays a great game, I like Gelinas although he plays an unusual style, the other kid, Steverson looked raw but talented. Zidlicky looks really, really old, Elias and his Chech Mix be damned. He simply looks awful.

But yeah, if the defensive style is on purpose then i have to question Deboar for doing it that way. If not, then the personel needs changed.

Agreed.

But are we also seeing Schneider exposed as not being the goaltender a lot of us thought he was?

Agreed.

But are we also seeing Schneider exposed as not being the goaltender a lot of us thought he was?

I thought that the hysteria of the Luongo/Schneider debate in Vancouver was overblown, Vancouver got a first (Bo Horvat) for a career backup. Not saying Schneider isn't a damn god goalie, he is but he is a tad overrated in my opinion.

I study teams defensive strategies, i love that end of the game. I love what Calgary is doing, basically telling Jonas Hiller to be ready to face 40 plus shots most night because the d-men will be pinching in and forcing the play, the Wings essentially collapse in front of Howard.

New Jersey has a strange strategy, I think a lot of it is the slow forward not being able to get back, so the defense doesn't pull all the way back or their would be twenty feet inside the blue line unmanned because the forwards cannot get back in time. If a team rushes the puck, New Jersey gets caught and it killed them last night. It is cool that the forward lines are a senior citizen bunch but transition kills them. Deboar has not figured out how to play with his personel and Schneider has not adjusted.

It's quite possibly the worst defensive play I've seen from a Devils team. They give up shots and scoring chances like they're candy. The forwards are either too slow, stupid, or lazy to provide support to the defense (which is half kids to begin with), which leaves the defense to fend for themselves, which then leads to Schneider being hung out to dry. They can't hold on to a lead to save their lives. It's pretty sad when after going up 4-1 early in the second against the Wings, the first thing I thought was how are they going to blow it this time. Of course it doesn't help that for some idiotic reason Peter freaking Harrold plays 21 minutes, while Larsson, who has been very solid defensively and actually has a future, plays 15 minutes. Hey, we have a lead, let's keep rolling out a pairing of Harrold/Zidlicky. What could possibly go wrong? It's just a mess.

Logan Couture left practice Ill. Tyler Kennedy scratched and Scott and Brown both playing. Furthermore, Mueller and Tennyson scratched so we have a bottom pairing of Irwin/Hannan. MMA time

Maybe Todd...wants to get fired?

Hope the Sharks got their booster shots playing against the Ducks.

Now apparently a lot of players are getting sick. Tanner Glass. Boyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe....well, gotta say guys, MacLean DID have some competition this season....how the hell Dallas Eakins still has a job is beyond me for example....

But really, Ottawa has had some very good talent the last few years and have done little to nothing with it...core has gotten older then comes time to break in "new guys"...and the team still sorta sits in no man's land either just getting in the playoffs then quickly out, or just out of playoffs' reach.

I just felt like this season was make or break for the coach.

And the crazy thing is, I DON'T think MacLean is a bad coach. I believe he has gotten some good mileage out of certain players and did what he could when Ottawa was hit with all the injuries that it had the last couple seasons.

But something had to change here...team is slipping once again, and injuries don't seem to be the major cause.

MacLean's voice has been heard long enough by the players, and at some point, they stopped 'buying in'.

Good luck to MacLean in his future endeavors, as they say.

If he isn't burnt out yet, I think he could land a job relatively quickly...he WON'T be the only firing this season...bank on that. ;)

Maybe HE could do something with the mess in Edmonton....

Hehe....well, gotta say guys, MacLean DID have some competition this season....how the hell Dallas Eakins still has a job is beyond me for example....

But really, Ottawa has had some very good talent the last few years and have done little to nothing with it...core has gotten older then comes time to break in "new guys"...and the team still sorta sits in no man's land either just getting in the playoffs then quickly out, or just out of playoffs' reach.

I just felt like this season was make or break for the coach.

And the crazy thing is, I DON'T think MacLean is a bad coach. I believe he has gotten some good mileage out of certain players and did what he could when Ottawa was hit with all the injuries that it had the last couple seasons.

But something had to change here...team is slipping once again, and injuries don't seem to be the major cause.

MacLean's voice has been heard long enough by the players, and at some point, they stopped 'buying in'.

Good luck to MacLean in his future endeavors, as they say.

If he isn't burnt out yet, I think he could land a job relatively quickly...he WON'T be the only firing this season...bank on that. ;)

Maybe HE could do something with the mess in Edmonton....

Only the owner can do that. I.E Fire Lowe, MacT and most of the staff and start from scratch.

I don't think Scotty Bowman himself could fix the Oilers.

Archived