Who will be the First Coach Fired in 2014 -15?

hf101

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach do you think will be fired first in 2014-15?

• Randy Carlyle
    • Jack Capuano
    • Craig Berube
    • Paul MacLean
    • Dallas Eakins
    • Bob Hartley
    • Dave Tippett
    • Todd McLellan
    • Other

Who do you think will be the first Head Coach fired during the 2014-2015 NHL Season?

Odds makers are stating that Randy Carlyle will be the first coach fired in the 2014-15 season.  And there was a fair amount of buzz this summer that Dan Bylzma will be the next coach hired.   So do you think Blyzma would be a good fit in Toronto?

Here are the odds for which coach will be shown the door. 

Randy Carlyle (TOR)                  5/2       
Jack Capuano (NYI)                   3/1       
Craig Berube (PHI)                     4/1       
Paul MacLean (OTT)                  11/2     
Dallas Eakins (EDM)                 11/2     
Bob Hartley (CAL)                     6/1       
Dave Tippett (PHO)                   17/2     
Todd McLellan (SJ)                   16/1

I'm kind of surprised Berube is high on that list even though the Flyers tend to change their coaches every other year.  I think I'd place Eakins and McLellan higher on that list than Berube.

Vegas odds aren't at all the same thing as probability. Vegas oddsmakers are trying to make money - they want to at least balance the paid out with the paid in and want to make the odds such that people will buy on both sides.

Berube, for example, is likely on the list simply because there are a lot of people willing to wager on the Philadelphia Flyers. A secondary thing is the change in GM and the possiblity that Hextall doesn't evaluate Berube as one of the greatest hockey minds he's ever known.

I still don't think that gets Chief fired even if the Flyers have the same start they did last season.

Quite frankly, NONE of those teams would necessarily benefit from a coaching change. Most of them have built in problems that have precious little to do with the coach (ownership spending, players not wanting to go to Alberta, being in an old barn in Uniondale, Arizona, etc.).

That said, if I had to pick, I'd likely go with Carlyle. Tronno is one of those ridiculous places that thinks being in the paper and "making significant moves" is as important as actually winning.

Vegas odds aren't at all the same thing as probability. Vegas oddsmakers are trying to make money - they want to at least balance the paid out with the paid in and want to make the odds such that people will buy on both sides.

This is so true.

Jeez, @hf101 , just way too much positive going on before the season, ya gotta go negative nancy on us with this whole 'coach firing thing' eh?

Balance out the positive with a nice helping of negative? LOL...just kidding Jefe, don't fire me....  :P

Wow.

Lots of good choices here.

Toronto, NY Islanders, San Jose...but the one guy who even I thought may get canned (not sure if he would be FIRST, but for the purposes of this excercise, will take him as such), is Paul MacLean, whom @Podein25 first suggested.

Why?

Well, when Bobby Ryan started whining (again) about his situation in Ottawa (coach not using me properly, etc, etc.), I thought, 'Ok, Ottawa has a disgruntled guy here, they try trading him'.

Not only did they NOT trade him, but they gave him a nice fat contract....and that CANNOT bode well for the head coach when the player given that fat contract was not happy with the coach in the first place.

The Sens have a number of pretty good players on the team, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why this team has played so badly as they have recently.

But if ownership thinks that a happy Bobby Ryan can mesh well with guys like Erik Karlsson, Clarke MacArthur, Kyle Turris, among others, and all they would need to do is get a new voice in that locker room to lead the team from behind the bench, you gotta think they would replace Paul MacLean in a heartbeat.....and in the process, at least in their minds, saving this season where many are predicting doom n gloom for Ottawa.

And this doesn't make Paul MacLean a bad coach..in fact, many heralded him as a GREAT coach not more than two seasons ago!

But it just subscribes to the theory that if you want to change a locker room culture, it is easier to replace one guy behind the bench, than it is to trade off a bunch of guys from off the ice.

But boy, Capuano in NY, with the Islanders trying real hard to turn things around...and with McClellan with the forever underachieving Sharks (well, non title winning Sharks at least), both make for some compelling arguements that THEY could be shown the door as well.

And we all know how Toronto is...Carlysle hasn't been safe since he first signed on the dotted line to be head coach...  :lol:

Who knows...maybe ALL FOUR (Ott, NYI, SJ, Tor) may not be with their teams when all is said and done.

But for the vote, I will go with Paul MacLean in Ottawa, simply because this is a team that really SHOULDN'T be in the bottom half of the Conference, yet that is where they found themselves last season, many are predicting more of the same this year, and that Bobby Ryan contract is almost a death knell for the coach......  :unsure[1]:

I voted Carlyle because I see the Leafs stumbling out of the gate and people calling for blood.

I voted for the same reason. I can't really see McLellan being shown the door (at least not early). The playoff collapse aside, he DID have them poised to win that series. Its just the epic taboo on the Sharks that perennially has them destined to fail in the playoffs.

I voted Berube just because it would make this board hella entertaining.

If San Jose didn't fire their coach at the end of last season they are not going to. You have to figure he has pictures of someone.

Ottawa is a reasonable call.

I'm going to go off the reservation and say Mike Johnston. Pitt stumbles out of the gate and Rutherford blames the guy he didn't hire. ;)

@MadDevil  As heartwarming as it would be to see the Leafs start 0-10, firing Caryle would be in the best interest of the franchise.....so, hopefully, they are brutal, but not bad enough to fire Randy right away. I'd like to see the season lost before they can him, that would be perfect.

@MadDevil  As heartwarming as it would be to see the Leafs start 0-10, firing Caryle would be in the best interest of the franchise.....so, hopefully, they are brutal, but not bad enough to fire Randy right away. I'd like to see the season lost before they can him, that would be perfect.

Hey! I.....I got nothin'.

Well, as long as the season is lost to the point where we can get a top 5 ish pick and pick up a potential #1 C, I guess I'm okay with that plan.

I'd still prefer they actually learn how to play some defense, but hey, I guess one can't be too picky.

I went Carlyle after dismissing McClellan. Todd seems to have photos of Doug Wilson in Drag or some such in his briefcase. Somehow they perennially underachieve and he keeps his job.....

Every other year rux.  This is the year of the goalie, remember?

Berube, first coach fired 2015-2016 season.

LOL I was actually thinking that when I posted and went with it anyway.  Good call!

i think berube because if the team doesnt play right at all in october, then i see berube getting canned.

He is certainly making a strong case for himself.

One of the brightest hockey minds Paul Holmgren knows.

Eakins will be the first fired.

Edmonton is a mess.

Yeah, I've changed my vote to EDM. I still hope they trade Eberle, but I could see them firing Eakins before trading players like that. Otherwise, the GM has to go. Not many other options.

Eakins will be the first fired.

Edmonton is a mess.

I am thinking you are right on this. The runner up is going to be Roy in Colorado. While they certainly overachieved last year, they are a mess this year. But giving up 27 goals in 6 games is going to be unacceptable for any team at the NHL level. In Edmonton, it should be a clean sweep (Lowe, McTavish, Eakins).

I will not defend the Edmonton Oilers record since they lost in the Cup Finals in 2006. It's just can't be done. That said:

-I'm all for getting rid of Kevin Lowe.

-I'm not sure why Craig MavTavish should be fired after 18 months on the job.

Blueline inherited from Steve Tambellini: Jeff Petry, Justin Schultz, Ladislav Smid, Nick Schultz, Ryan Whitney, Theo Peckham, Corey Potter

Today: Mark Fayne, Martin Marincin, Justin Schultz, Jeff Petry, Nikita Nikitin, Andrew Ference, Oscar Klefbom

Massive turn-around and improvement, and re-worked most of his blueline. Nikitin is being paid too much but is an actual NHL defenseman. Fayne has played terrific shutdown minutes for years, with great numbers to back it up. Marincin has been shockingly effective in his NHL time, with Elliote Freedman referring to him as a "stud" in last night's broadcast. Contrast that with what MacTavish inherited: Smid has never posted a good Corsi in his career, and his linemates always improve when not paired with him. Nick Schultz had way too many miles and can't play anything approaching a two way game. Ryan Whitney's foot is so bad that he can barely skate, resorting to a hop-and-spin method of turning. Peckham is tough, but doesn't stay in shape, and can't play at the NHL level. Potter was brought in as a 20-yr old career minor leaguer. Needs were identified and addressed, and in very short order.

My issue with MacTavish's blueline: I don't know how he sees Justin Schultz so good. There is nothing by eye or the numbers which backs up his opinion.

Forward group: 

-Traded a supposedly untradeable contract (Shawn Horcoff).

-Brought in David Perron, Teddy Purcell, Benoit Poulliot, Boyd Gordon, Matt Hendricks, Jesse Joensuu. He brought in a lot of skill, needed size, and a line (Joensuu/Gordon/Hendricks) that can take extreme zone starts. Who did it cost him off the roster? Magnus Pajaarvi, Sam Gagner and Devan Dubnyk. In those 3 players we have a non-scorer with wheels, a small centre who is infamously bad in the dot and hasn't improved, and a goalie trying to save his NHL career from the brink.

I'm not going to say that Craig MacTavish has been perfect. He hasn't been. He came in with a lot of talk, and painted himself into a corner by talking about dealing Ales Hemsky. He's addressed team need for an improved defense and forward depth. He's also not accomplished improving the depth at centre other than finding a spot for Mark Arcobello. He needs to do more there, and send Draisaitl back to junior.

---

Dallas Eakins? I honestly don't know enough about when coaches need to be fired or not. If a coach is clearly favoring inferior players over superior ones, the optics are certainly poor. I always hear talk about losing the room, a coach's personality, etc, etc, etc... But I don't know any of these men, and so am utterly unqualified to offer an opinion on those matters. Unless others here have that insight, I don't see how they're able to come up with something different.

Eakins has managed to turn Nail Yakupov into a far more responsible player, able to play within the system. I think Yakupov had harsher treatment Hall, Eberle, etc, but it's working well. The relationship seems good, and the player is tremendously improved in each zone, all from a junior career where he was allowed to fly around as he felt like.

Other than that, the Oilers have the puck FAR more than they used, going from near the bottom up to top 10. They've played one bad game as a team, against the Kings, when Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Marincin and Petry were out of the lineup. I don't know how many teams remove 2/3 of their top line, miss two of their top 4 defensemen, and then turn in a great performance.

If they'd played these six games and had only good instead of only one bad one, I could see this. But that isn't what's happened so far. Trust me, the organization has earned their reputation as a laughing stock, but MacTavish and Eakins have only just shown up, and firing them right now is punishing them for the history of other people.

Archived